PDA

View Full Version : The Detailing Process

Malachi71
12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I`m new to detailing and was wondering if there are any who have ever used the following methods when detailing:

Example 1:

Cleaner/Polish such as AIO and then a Sealant such as Klasse SG but no Topper (wax).

or

Example 2:

Cleaner/Polish such as AIO and then a wax such as Collinite 845 but no Sealant

The Point:

I`ve read where many here use multiple steps when detailing (polish, sealant, and a wax) but I was just curious if one of the examples above would suffice? If one of the examples would suffice, which would be the better choice?

imported_Neothin
12-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Either one will work. I would prefer to use both personally, but many people will do one of those two combos. And to which one is better, that`s really dependant on your product choice. SG and IW will both have stellar durability, but if you choose a wax like natty`s blue, your looks will be better but the durability will suffer.

Accumulator
12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I use both Collinite and untopped KSG. The Collinite protects fine by itself.

Just putting Collinite over the AIO is quick and easy, and more forgiving of any residual marring than the SG approach would be. If you use some other (abrasive) polish first to remove marring (something like Meg`s #80) you could just put the Collinite on after that.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Using a cleaner/polish before applying a sealant or wax is always a smart way to go.

Malachi71
12-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Basically I`m trying to understand if there are any significant gains in durability using a 3 step process (polish, sealant, wax) vs. a 2 step process (polish & wax or polish & sealant).

I can see where looks may be improved by incorporating more steps but I`m not looking for the optimum show look. I`d rather have the protection considering I will have my truck for 8-10 years.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Of course, the more layers of protection the better. So if you were to go with only a two step process, I would certainly recommend using a sealant as the second step.

Sherman8r44
12-19-2005, 07:41 AM
You would certainly get better durability with the three step process. KSG and Collinite are great choices for that pupose because they are probably the most durable sealant and wax in their respective category. Plus, the AIO adds some protection into the mix. Those three steps would protect for a loooong time.