PDA

View Full Version : About to overhaul. Is this right?

Killbert
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey all, I`m a long time car care enthusiast who has recently been given a Porter Cable DA as a gift, and I`m very excited to implement it into my next paint maintenance routine. I have a red 1997 Supra that is being driven daily and is starting to show it in the paint. Next weekend is the big overhaul day and I just want to make sure i have everything I need and everything in the correct order to do it right! Here`s what I`m going to do and use..

Wash twice with Meguiar`s wash.

Remove all the ****ola with Sonus claybar

Polish with the Sonus SFX-2 polish and matching pad, remove with buffer bonnett

Polish with the Sonus SFX-3 polish and matching pad, remove with buffer bonnett

Hand apply Klasse all-in-one with a microfiber applicator, remove with buffing towel

Hand apply P21S with foam pad, remove with buffing towel.

Using the research I gathered, it seems that Klasse all-in-one really will help keep my paint looking awesome. One question.. Should I use Dawn soap instead of Meguiar`s? Feel free to tell me what or what not to do, since I`m new with the DA. Thanks in advance everyone!

Kill

6']['9
12-13-2005, 05:56 PM
use car wash not dish washing liquid.

JasonD
12-13-2005, 05:59 PM
One question.. Should I use Dawn soap instead of Meguiar`s?

Nope, that`s not necessary. The Meguiar`s will do the job.

As far as the rest of your process, you mention "removing" your polish with a buffing bonnett. I don`t find that a necessity either. When polishing, you are "working" the polish, not applying it, so there really shouldn`t be much of anything left on the surface to remove other than a little residual polish. Basically, just use a good microfiber towel to remove the excess. You will probably find this quicker than having to keep installing and removing a bonnett a bunch of times. Also, be sure to only do small sections at a time, not the whole car at once.

Next is your AIO step. I actually find that AIO works great with a light polishing pad. It becomes a tiny bit more aggressive and cleans everything up very nicely, again removing the excess by hand.

Hope this helps a bit. ;)

Killbert
12-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Excellent, thanks for all the help! I figured there would be more left on the surface after polishing, i.e. oxidation, stubborn dirt, etc. Definitely do the all in one and P21S steps, right?

Kill

imported_Neothin
12-13-2005, 06:15 PM
As JDookie said, AIO works better when you apply it by machine. But you get to thinking... my polishing pad has already been used with one of my SFX polishes, OH NO! Do not fear! A warm-hot solution of dawn and water makes a great cleaning solution for freshly used pads. Throw that polishing pad into the bucket, let it soak in for a bit, and then start massaging out all the polish by hand. Then switch to a fresh water rinse. Wring the pad out and then throw it on the pc @ speed 3 to get rid of the excess water and your good to go to start using AIO! WOOPIE!!! :woot:

Killbert
12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
As JDookie said, AIO works better when you apply it by machine. But you get to thinking... my polishing pad has already been used with one of my SFX polishes, OH NO! Do not fear! A warm-hot solution of dawn and water makes a great cleaning solution for freshly used pads. Throw that polishing pad into the bucket, let it soak in for a bit, and then start massaging out all the polish by hand. Then switch to a fresh water rinse. Wring the pad out and then throw it on the pc @ speed 3 to get rid of the excess water and your good to go to start using AIO! WOOPIE!!! :woot:

Really, SFX 2, 3, then AIO?! All by machine?! I`m going to sleep with this DA under my bed, I`m so damn excited to do this overhaul! Thanks for the help

P.S. My girl has a beautiful Scion TC also. Are you on the TC forums?

Kill

imported_Neothin
12-13-2005, 06:30 PM
yep, same screenname as here. I hang around in the matinence and car care forum alot (but that could`ve been expected!)