PDA

View Full Version : My first post - have I learned anything?

shortspark
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I purchased a new silver Honda Ridgeline truck and want to keep it looking as good (or better) than the day I bought it. I have read many, many posts here and have come to some conclusions based on the comments from you folks that do detailing as a hobby and for some, as a living. Now that I am at least partially educated, I thought I would finally post and see what you all thought. Here is what I`ve done and I would like to know if I am at least in the ball park and any suggestions on what to do or not do.

First, I have learned that preparation is the key. Without a good basis the rest will not achieve the results intended. I want to say that I will soon order some clay as that is an important prep step so I have not done that yet.

I use Eagle One Wet car wash with sheepskin mits I purchased from Jeff. I also have a bunch of MF, including the Big Blue for drying. The next step was a little tough but I went ahead and bought Klasse AIO (2x) followed by SG (3x) using the WOWO method (easy and looks fantastic!). I will do this routine every 6 months. I have purchased some Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield and will see how that compares with the SG (in fact, I may top the SG with the AS). I also have on hand but have not used yet Jeff`s AJ and AG (I bought them to try because of the rave reviews but I`m a little confused as to their appropriate application - other than as a sub for SG).

I use Eagle One W&S as a quick detailer and it seems to do well but I think there may be better out there (maybe Jeff`s AG??). For small messes I use PoorBoys S&W and the bigger stuff is handled by QEW if I can`t get to the hose. Tires are brushed and cleaned and then topped with Miguire`s Endurance or Hot Shine (not sure which I like better yet).

The windows are washed with either Stoners or Sprayway (again, not sure which I like best). The leather wipes are Lexol and vinyl is treated with Vinylex although I want to try the 303 Protectant. My blades are treated with 303 blade protectant

Basically, that`s it. There are many more things I want to experiment with and although I will never have the eye of a detailer, I am very happy with my first few attempts - and it can only get better!

So, considering my truck`s color (and the fact I live in hot, hot Texas - at least there is no salt!) are the base products I have described compatible and good for my conditions? What would you all suggest? PS-I would rather use a polish than a wax if possible, hence the Klasse twins.

4830Deuce
12-13-2005, 02:37 PM
It takes a lot of trial and error to really know how to use products and get the most out of them, if your car is free of marring you shoudnt have to polish, claying is a very good idea, but really it will remove all your hard work that you have already put into your car... BUT dont skip it! Welcome! and im happy to see the site has helped you out!!! And thanks for reading and learning aswell as searching before you posted...makes me think you will be a great addition to our community!!! Post up some pic`s we love pictures!!!

-Justin

Lowejackson
12-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

I am not sure if you have read the Autopia book but it is a great place to start.

It sounds like your doing many things right however if your paint has swirls etc you will need an abrasive polish to remove them. AIO is a great chemical cleaner but is not that effective at remove swirls.

As for claying, it is hard to describe just how smooth this can make the paint - it is very addictive

Edit: Concentrate on technique rather than any specific branding