PDA

View Full Version : Which Process Removes the Most Paint?

Mikeman
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
SSR 2.5 x 2 with a cutting pad or SSR 3 x 1 with the same cutting pad? I think SSR 3 can remove more paint in one polishing round than SSR 2.5 can remove in two rounds using the same speed, pressure, arm speed, and number of passes. Does anyone agree with this? I experienced it today, I think. It`s hard to be sure because the SSR 2.5 panel MAY have had deeper scratches than the other. The marring looked to be of the same severity though.

Mikeman out.

White95Max
12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
SSR3 is some pretty strong stuff, and yeah I agree with you that SSR3 can usually fix what SSR2.5 needs 2 passes to do.

Ed Fisher
12-13-2005, 05:21 AM
SSR 2.5 x 2 with a cutting pad or SSR 3 x 1 with the same cutting pad? I think SSR 3 can remove more paint in one polishing round than SSR 2.5 can remove in two rounds using the same speed, pressure, arm speed, and number of passes. Does anyone agree with this? I experienced it today, I think. It`s hard to be sure because the SSR 2.5 panel MAY have had deeper scratches than the other. The marring looked to be of the same severity though.

Mikeman out.

Well yes, that is actually the case but why would you want to remove paint ? You mean "cut into the clearcoat" instead ? Or is your paint single stage ? :think:

s2skimon
12-13-2005, 07:05 AM
wetsanding will remove most paint no ?

clearcoat etching ? then i`d say the SSR3 but even still, it will take many, many passes

White95Max
12-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Well yes, that is actually the case but why would you want to remove paint ? You mean "cut into the clearcoat" instead ? Or is your paint single stage ? :think:

I believe he`s referring to clearcoat when he says "paint". After all, clearcoat is merely paint that has no pigments.

Mikeman
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I meant clearcoat. I guess what I`m trying to get at with this thread, is that the numbers following SSR in Poorboy`s polishes can be a bit misleading. One might think SSR 2.5 is almost as aggressive as SSR 3, and that SSR 2 is not much less aggressive than 2.5. I think numbers like the following would be more accurate:

SSR1, SSR 2, SSR 3.5, SSR 7