PDA

View Full Version : Any difference in what products to use for a light colored car?

Pages : [1] 2

twingotti
12-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, i`m new to the forum and find alot of great information here. I`ve just purchased a 2001 CL 500 that is horizon blue (sky blue) and was wondering if there was any special products I should use on a light colored vehichle? Also wondering if I should use the Meguiars NXT line of products since Mercedes incorporates Meguiars in its product line. I`ve planned to:

1. Wash (Meguiars NXT car wash)

2. Clay (Clay Magic)

3. Clean paint (Meguiars cleaner wax)

4. Polish (Meguiars #2 Deep Crystal Polish)

5. Wax (Meguiars NXT)

Any suggestions?

White95Max
12-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Well first of all, :welcome to Autopia! :wavey

The Meg`s Step2 Polish is not a true polish. It`s non-abrasive and is more of a glaze than anything. I would skip that step in your process. The cleaner wax and then NXT would be fine.

If you have any swirls/scratches in the paint that you want to get rid of, you`ll need a true polish (Poorboy`s World SSRs, Meg`s #80, #83, Menzerna IP/FPII...).

I have never found certain products to work better on dark vs light colored paints. I`ve used several "color-specific" waxes on various colors, and have never been any more/less impressed with that product regardless of what color I used it on.

wannafbody
12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
If you have the NXT already use it otherwise I`d reccomend the Mothers Reflections line-great looks and decent durability-if you want insane beading use Collinite 845

JeffM
12-11-2005, 07:08 PM
I would clay for sure, past that, its going to be the condition of your paint, and your own criteria.

A good intro to paint care is either Megs Deep Crystal step 1, or colorX, followed by NXT or Mothers Reflections.

Its important to remove all the crud from the paint for maximal bonding of the wax or sealant, maximum clarity of the clear coat, and to protect the paint from being damaged by the dirt and whatnot that is sitting on the paint.

To maintain the finish use a good quality wash soap, like Megs NXT found at wallyworld for $5, this doesnt strip the wax that is on there. Some of the cheaper ones do. Lambswool wash mitts are pretty popular around here also.

Do a search for the 2 bucket wash method.

imported_NHBFAN
12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Buy a PC! You`ll be at another level of detailing.

Accumulator
12-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Twingotti- Welcome to Autopia!

I`ll add: Buy a foamgun. It`ll help immeasurably with the washing and help keep the marring down. IMO proper washing is the most overlooked and possibly most important aspect of detailing.

Don`t read too much into a product line being advocated by the manufacturer ;) It`s *not* about those products really being optimal for the cars in question, it`s about a financially beneficial relationship between the two companies. Nothing *wrong* with Meguiar`s products, but they`re nothing miraculous either, nor are they better suited to your Benz than other choices.

imported_Neothin
12-12-2005, 10:40 AM
If I may suggest that you use Gold Class wash soap vs the NXT soap, I think you would be pleasantly surprised. The NXT soap is kinda harsh on waxes and sealants that you put on top of the paint and this affects their durability. This would be bad for an NXT Tech Wax topped combo because the NXT wax already has less than average durability. GC is rather gentle, and wont hurt durability as much as NXT.

You could also try #26 made by meguiar`s. I used it for a good while before i switched over to boutique brands. It`s a pretty good wax for its price.

Pats300zx
12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
If I may suggest that you use Gold Class wash soap vs the NXT soap, I think you would be pleasantly surprised. The NXT soap is kinda harsh on waxes and sealants that you put on top of the paint and this affects their durability. This would be bad for an NXT Tech Wax topped combo because the NXT wax already has less than average durability. GC is rather gentle, and wont hurt durability as much as NXT.

You could also try #26 made by meguiar`s. I used it for a good while before i switched over to boutique brands. It`s a pretty good wax for its price.

I am kinda confused by your statements. I have used both NXT and GC and have seen no difference in their effects on my LSP or sealant durability.... :nixweiss

imported_Neothin
12-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I`ve used NXT as my wash soap on a combo and Gold Class on the same exact combo (reapplied anyways, but same product process). The my combo was AIO/NXT. The NXT washed combo lasted about a month before the beading started to degrade and the looks went away. When I went with Gold Class, this same combo lasted almost two months before degradation.

imported_The Uncle
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I have a light colored car (blue silver) and have used, over the course of ownership: Megs Gold Class, S100, UPP, KSG, OCW, and multiple combinations. Of these products, my favorite has been UPP. I did the car with UPP last week, and somebody left me a note telling me how beautiful my car is.

White95Max
12-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I did the car with UPP last week, and somebody left me a note telling me how beautiful my car is.

Awesome! If that doesn`t convince you that it`s a winning product, nothing will. I also highly recommend UPP. It always looks great everytime I use it.

twingotti
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the info. One last question. What is OCW?

White95Max
12-13-2005, 04:27 PM
OCW = Optimum Car Wax.

Scottwax
12-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Honestly, NXT looks pretty good over any color.

If you want something that IMO looks really good on light metallics and metallic paint in general, a very easy to use product is 1Z Glanz Wax. Wipe on, it hazes almost immediately, wipe off, move on to the next section.

Alfisti
12-14-2005, 07:15 AM
You`ve been given a lot of great advice so far. :up

I`d just like to add that the only thing I consider important regarding colour is the Last Step Product.

A dark colour will respond to a LSP, like carnauba, by giving you more depth and warmth.

Having said that, NXT looks good on both light and dark colours. It creates a balanced look that looks quite handsome.

Another range of products that compete with NXT is the new Mothers range. Reflections for darker colours and FX for lighter colours. They also tend to be more durable than NXT.

Whatever you choose, don`t be afraid to experiment. Welcome to the ADDICTION. :D