PDA

View Full Version : Paint Safe Snow Brush???

ScoobyDrew06
12-09-2005, 08:21 PM
So i took a look at the brush I used to use to get the snow off my car, and scrape my windows...this is what i used before i became an autopia member, the bristles on the brush are hard plastic and i can`t believe I used to use that on my old car, i can`t even believe they sell crap like that. So does anyone know where I can get myself a paint safe brush/scraper?

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2005, 05:05 AM
Here`s one that`s pretty good: http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/oxo-17014.html

And here`s a longer discussion: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64905&highlight=snow

Accumulator
12-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I`ve posted this on one of these snow removal threads, but didn`t see it on the one Setec linked to.

I used to have an outside-24/7/52 vehicle whose paint I didn`t care all *that* much about (the Volvo wagon). I tried different methods of removing the snow, including BHBs and the Sno Brum. If there`s dirt on the paint (almost inevitable) or dirt in the snow (likely) and you move it across the paint it`s gonna mar it. Most means of removing the snow apply more pressure than letting it melt and slide off naturally, so IMO if you clear the snow off you`ll eventually mar the paint. I know I always did and I was as careful about this as I can imagine any one being. But what can you do when there`s a foot of snow on the vehicle and you`ve gotta use it :nixweiss

Keep a good, slick LSP on the paint and don`t let it get too dirty. Try to remove almost all the snow but not the last little layer covering the paint, let that melt and slide off naturally. That`s about all you can do; just plan to polish out the marring come spring.

Heh heh, I feel guilty when I use the Sno Brum on rental cars :D I do use it for this though, but I leave that last 1/2" or so of snow on the paint.

But *NO WAY* would I use *any* brush to clear snow off paint. I sometimes do this on my snowthrower and it mars its (nicely waxed) paint. Even the softest BHBs that I use for washing can mar paint when used "dry" like that (it`s the water/shampoo that make them safe to use). Rubbing brush bristles across dirty, dry paint, let alone paint with nasty winter crap on it, is just asking for trouble.

Stratmosphere (no link handy, but it`ll come up if you do a `net search) used to sell a snowbrush with boar`s hair bristles. I don`t use it on my paint, but it gives a little margin of safety when used to clean snow off the glass. Dunno if they still have them though.

Spilchy
12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I use this all the time. http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/m280.html

I used it yesterday to clear off my car. Just push it an inch above the paint and all the snow slides right off. I love it.

Does it scratch the paint? Well, given that there is some dirt on the paint, it will introduce some marring, but nothing terrible. Since my car is armored with multiple layers of paste waxes, my paint is nicely protected and minimizes scratching. A light polishing post winter clears up my paint beautifully.

However, use a brush and you`re up the creek with scratches.

Accumulator
12-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Spilchy- Sno Brum (sic)...*BRUM* I almost remembered that.... Was just moving the thing around in the storage closet the other day and the spelling still eluded me :o

AndyH_STi
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I use either the boar`s hair snowbrush from Stratmosphere, or a Sno-Brum...neither has ever scratched the paint on any of my vehicles.

imported_Neothin
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
maybe not a deep scratch, but i`m 100% certain that it caused some light swirling (at least that anyways). Especially with your subaru paint. its pretty soft.