PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

3Dog
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
I would like your thoughts/opinions on this quote. Found on another forum

From the Zymol website....

Chrome is plated over many substrates. Many years ago brass was the common foundation for chrome. Then the economy-box era ushered in chrome over steel. Today chrome over plastic (metalised plastic) is the common fare. The care requirements have not changed. Chrome is porous and needs oxygen to retain its silver bright appearance. When we `think` chrome is pitting it is actually pulling away from its substrate.

DO NOT POLISH CHROME UNLESS IT IS YOUR VOCATION. CHROME IS EASILY DAMAGED BY ABRASIVES AND AMMONIATED SOLVENTS.

DO NOT WAX CHROME. WAX WILL TRAP MOISTURE IN THE POROUS CHROME SURFACE AND CAUSE THE SUBSTRATE TO CORRODE.

rwh
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Interesting!! I have always waxed my chrome items and have not had any issues. I`ll be curious to see what others have to say.

imported_Guido
12-09-2005, 05:21 PM
ditto...I wax my chrome rims every once in a while and then top it off on a bi weekly basis with michelin brake dust repellant. what do they suggest we use, polish?

Ed Fisher
12-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Duhh ???!

I should have had rims and trim built of brown dust (rust that is) until now if that was true...

I proudly use carnauba on my wheels and trim and till now I never got any adverse effect.

Only once I used a bit of Meguiar`s scratch-X to correct a scratch on the rear end license plate top trim but it turned out to be metalised plastic and I had to replace it when I rubbed right down into the black plastic... :D

(I though the part was made of metal) :o

Alfisti
12-14-2005, 03:58 AM
I also understood that chrome was porous...but, that`s why you NEED to seal it.

Unsealed chrome can allow moisture into the substrate causing corrosion.

I`ve never had any problems with diminished brightness, either. :nixweiss

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Many years ago brass was the common foundation for chrome. Then the economy-box era ushered in chrome over steel. Today chrome over plastic (metalised plastic) is the common fare. The care requirements have not changed.

When you consider the different types of chrome processes over the years; how could it be that `the care requirements have not changed`?

foxtrapper
12-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Interesting, in an idiotically entertaining way. Most of the "info" was wrong. I should give it to some of the chrome platers I know, they`d get a laugh out of it.

Alfisti
12-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Interesting, in an idiotically entertaining way. Most of the "info" was wrong. I should give it to some of the chrome platers I know, they`d get a laugh out of it.

Which "info" is that?

Accumulator
12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I`ve heard you shouldn`t wax chrome, but I do it anyway. I`ve waxed the chrome on my XJS (scratched up before I got it, and I bought it new :mad: ) for over 20 years with no adverse effects.

foxtrapper
12-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Which "info" is that?

"Many years ago brass was the common foundation for chrome."

Brass was never a common substrate. Copper and nickel were, and still are.

"the economy-box era ushered in chrome over steel"

This short-cut process was the original method of chrome plating. It`s been in use for as long a chrome plating has existed. It`s been the bane of cheap replacement bumpers for as long as there have been chrome bumpers.

"Today chrome over plastic (metalised plastic) is the common fare"

It was common half a century ago. It wasn`t chrome then, and still isn`t. There is no similarity between chrome paint or powder coating and electroplating.

"Chrome is porous and needs oxygen to retain its silver bright appearance."

Chrome is not porous, and does not need oxygen to retain it`s brightness. Quite the opposite in fact, as oxidation does not shine, it`s inherently dull. Oxidation of why chrome gets dull and needs polishing.

"When we `think` chrome is pitting it is actually pulling away from its substrate"

No, that`s peeling. Pitting is exactly that, as can be observed under magnification. It is frequently the result of poor plating or mechanical damage. Exasurbated by oxidation. Rusting of the base metal (steel being the most common) can then lead to peeling.

"CHROME IS EASILY DAMAGED BY ABRASIVES AND AMMONIATED SOLVENTS."

Chrome is a hard, inert metal. It is specifically used in situations due to its inherent a bility to resist abrasives. It is non reactive to solvents, including ammonia based ones. Zymol may have come up with this one from an incomplete understanding of chrome plating, where ammonia sollutions are used in some of the plating steps.

"WAX WILL TRAP MOISTURE IN THE POROUS CHROME SURFACE AND CAUSE THE SUBSTRATE TO CORRODE."

Only if you wax in the rain. Otherwise, waxes and sealants block water.

beastie
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I use Wenol Blue on my chrome. As I understand, it is a synthetic formulation that chemically polishes without the use of abrasives. It is safe for plated metals like chrome, gold, silver. Wenol Red has mild abrasives so I was told by the Wenol distributor not to use on plated metals. The distributor`s instructions say that Wenol Blue and Red have protectants so there is no need for topping with wax or sealants but I do anyway (Klasse twins).

JeffM
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
LOL, ya, dont put anything on your chrome. All those trucks used by farmers and construction workers have bling bling chrome, because of the non-maintenance.

Isnt there an internet myth thread somewhere?

This should be added, its a good one :)

lbls1
12-16-2005, 09:46 PM
You will need special polishes for chrome which are available. Chrome, like polished surfaces, must be maintained, or else you will get a lot of pitting and oxidation or even rust. The quality of the process IMO will play a major factor in how long and how well a chrome plated surface will sustain itself.