PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest some good wheel polish

imported_Mighty HD
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I`ve been putting this off since I bought the truck 2 years ago. I`m going to be making a trip to Properautocare.com in Tampa to pickup some more FMJ and a few other supplies.

I`m not sure if these are chrome plated, clearcoated, or ? wheels that GM uses on their HD trucks. Maybe someone could chime in?

Any suggestions for polish would be appreciated. I have read lots of good reviews on the flitz polish & ball. I also saw Mothers has a similar ball and polish. Thanks for any pointers!

here`s a shot of the wheel:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/MightyHd/Picture029.jpg

White95Max
12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
You can find out if the wheel is clearcoated by rubbing a bit of metal polish (I know Mother`s Mag/Aluminum Polish works) on the wheel with a clean white rag/towel. If the towel has black residue on it after rubbing the polish, the wheel is NOT clearcoated. I`m not sure if that determines anything about whether or not it`s chrome plated. Hopefully someone else knows that. :)

For clearcoated wheels, you just use a normal polish that you`d use on the paint.

I like 1Z Chromepflege for polishing chrome, and Mothers mag/aluminum polish for bare metal.

audicoupej
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
They are a machined finish with clearcoat. If you look close you can see the machining.

I know they are clearcoated because when the wheel weights come off there are always marks where the clearcoat is being to peel. It gets white with black around the edges of the marks. My grandfather has had those wheels on his last two trucks, and my uncle has them on his. All 2500 HDs.

Just use a wax/sealant on them. I use wheelwax on `em.

Djmigs
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
i agree they are clearcoated

SVR
12-09-2005, 02:01 AM
would p21s polishing soap be ok for clear coated wheels

easier than using a paste metal polish

Depending on the type and shine of the wheels, a paint glaze before sealing will give it more gloss

Don`t forget to clay them too

Did mine the other night before re sealing and although I couldn`t see or feel any contaminants or brake dust, the clay bar was black when I was finished

imported_Mighty HD
12-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Great, clearcoated it is. Thanks for the advice, I`ll purchase the polish accordingly.

Horseman2475
12-09-2005, 11:24 PM
If they are clear coated, you can use FMJ x2 and follow with PoorBoys Wheal Sealent. Works for me.

wannafbody
12-10-2005, 07:12 AM
I suggest collinite 845

imported_Mighty HD
12-10-2005, 12:45 PM
If they are clearcoated, can`t I just use FP-II for the polish then top with FMJ?

White95Max
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, you can use FPII and FMJ.