PDA

View Full Version : So much for the sunroof

velobard
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I`ve had my Chrysler LHS for less than 2 months and today it suffered it`s first major insult. On the highway on my way home from work today, I`d just glanced at the truck in the lane beside me and as I looked forward again, I caught a glimpse of a dark blur flying up and over the car followed by a loud thud on the roof and whooshing sound of rushing wind. I presume it was a rock...it caught the glass in my sunroof dead center and knocked a good-sized hole in the glass.

Just 2 weeks ago my wife had the driver`s side mirror knocked off her car when passing thru a construction zone and the truck in front of her clipped a pylon, it flipped back and snapped off the mirror. At this point, I`m about to get tired of visiting our friendly, local body repair guy. When I stopped by today he told me if it wasn`t for bad luck we`d have no luck at all. I`m inclined to agree at this point. I have no idea what` it`s going to cost to repair it, but this is definitely something I didn`t need to go along with the holiday expenses. I just hope I don`t have to wait till next month before I can afford to have it fixed. I went from a nice, shiny car I was proud of, to a duct tape special.

Oh yeah, I also found several chips and scratches on the roof and trunk from glass flying back and hitting the paint. Some of them will polish out, but there`s a couple down to the metal.

imported_Luster
12-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I feel your pain. But if we use our cars as daily drivers (which most of us do), it`s impossible to avoid those dings, chips and dents.

I`d love to have a dependable beater to drive to work and have my Grand Prix and Firebird as garage-queens...... but.... I`m not made of money!!!

I figure I`ll go 4 or 5 years and have the hood painted... then start over again.

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Sounds like the notorious Scion tC sunroof issue. Before the recall that toyota did a month and a half ago for the sunroof`s wind deflector, people`s deflectors were shattering left and right because of pebbles and such hitting them. the deflector only goes up when the sunroof is open, so i could only imagine how dangerous it was to have the shattered glass comming down on you as you drive down the road. I`m glad that you didn`t have an accident or anything from being distracted when the glass broke. Don`t worry about it, eventually it will be fixed and your car will be back to its normal beautiful state.

velobard
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Actually, I was rather lucky in that regard. I usually keep my sunshade open, but at lunch I felt like a brief nap, so I reclined the seat and pulled the shade closed on the sunroof to close off the glare while I was facing up. I hate to think of having the glass shatter with the shade open, both because of glass that would rain down on me, and because of trying to get rid of all the tiny shards of glass throughout the car. A friend of mine had someone break a window to break into her car and she was finding bits of glass for years.