PDA

View Full Version : For those that QEW

imported_mrecktid
12-07-2005, 05:11 PM
How do you guys clean really dirty TIRES? I`m assuming you don`t use a tire cleaner because those need to be rinsed off pretty thoroughly. Do you just use the QEW solution with a tire brush? It doesn`t seem to work very well with me...

-Mark

imported_Luster
12-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I guess my tires don`t seem to get very dirty. I just use QEW and a tire brush on them, then use Meg`s Endurance tire dressing.

If they are really dirty, you might try spraying Simple Green on them, scrub with tire brush, then wiping them with a wet MF or shop towel....

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree with Luster. If you maintain your wheels and tires regularly, a harsh wheel and tire cleaner isnt necessary. A light scrub will remove most dirt and other crud on the wheels and tires if they are sealed/dressed. Afterwards, a quick wipe with a wet mf or a throw away towel will leave the tires ready for dressing.

imported_mrecktid
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah I keep my tires pretty clean most of the time. But what if you`re detailing a customer`s car? In my case, it`s my mom`s SUV and minivan, the tires are disgusting and right now the temperature is between the 30s and 40s.

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
hmmm... well...

use a conventional wheel cleaner, but instead of spraying directly onto the tire, spray onto a throw away towel and then wipe the tire with that. Then scrub the tire until you feel you`ve gotten everything. Then grab a bucket with water in it and repeated wipe/rinse a towel with th clean water to get the cleaner off. I don`t know how well that would work in real life situations, but theoretically it should!

EBPcivicsi
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
IMO, when doing customer`s vehicles (at least the ones that I detail for) it is impossible to use QEW and clean the wheels and tires. Now, you could get them clean with traditional methods, then maintain with QEW.

C. Charles Hahn
12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
The way I`ve always dealt with these issues in the winter is to go inside, and grab a galon milk jug full of warm tap water and dump it over the wheel/tire face to rinse. It isn`t ideal, but it gets the job done.

imported_mrecktid
12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
That`s what I`ve experienced, QEW doesn`t do enough for the really dirty tires. But what do you do when you expect to just QEW the car and you find out the tires are really dirty?

Spray tire cleaner on tire/rag (then scrub tire) and rinse with qew mix???

I`d really like to eliminate using a hose in washing the car since it`s so cold and would like to find a way to clean dirty tires without using a LOT of water.

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 07:45 PM
hmmm... well...

use a conventional wheel cleaner, but instead of spraying directly onto the tire, spray onto a throw away towel and then wipe the tire with that. Then scrub the tire until you feel you`ve gotten everything. Then grab a bucket with water in it and repeated wipe/rinse a towel with th clean water to get the cleaner off. I don`t know how well that would work in real life situations, but theoretically it should!

that`s exactly what I suggested 3 posts above you :nixweiss

White95Max
12-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Since I never have access to a hose here at my apartment, I clean my wheels in the summer by taking a bucket of soapy water and my tire brush out to the car. I put the car in the parking lot, scrub the tires, wash the wheels with a MF mitt, and then I rinse. I always keep 4 jugs of straight water in the garage during the warmer months, and that way I always have plenty of water to rinse the wheels off. That cleans them pretty well.

I don`t clean my tires very well during the winter. I wipe them down with an old towel and a little QEW/water spray, but that`s it. I`ve found it to be quite difficult to clean tires well in the winter.