PDA

View Full Version : how to evaluate a local detail shop?

imported_Astral
12-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Sorry if this is a little long-winded.

I got a new car less than three months ago, and this time I decided to go "all out and hardcore" and "do the Right thing" with the detailing. The only thing I had time to do before winter hit was Dawn wash, claybar, wash, then Zaino Z-5 and a finish of Z-8 (probably all gone by now). My winter wheels have two layers of a Zaino Z-2 Pro (working well so far, all dirt and dust coming off simply with car shampoo wipe).

My last car accumulated crazy swirls, in part due to constant automatic car washes and lack of knowledge about anything (i.e. before I found Autopia).

This winter I am going to pursue the QEW path to clean the car, but unfortunately I have no garage to use. My plan is to go to a self-service car wash place, rinse off the major dirt and then QEW the car either right there in the bay or at home (on weekends), since I have no garage.

However, I can probably only do this in temperatures of 27deg or higher. The prospect of weeks of cold temperatures and snow and salt and not being able to wash my car upsets me.

So there`s a few detailing places near where I live (e.g. one is http://www.absoluteautodetail.com/). I was thinking that in the really cold weather, I can bring it to them for a proper wash. If it`s $15 or $20, it`s still worth it to properly get all the salt off and get it squeaky clean.

Howver, I`m pretty much afraid that every single detail shop out there is a "wash`n`swirl" place. I trust only the Autopians :)

So is there a way to evaluate how good a local detail shop is? I imagine that if I ask them: "will you swirl up my car while washing?" they will all say "of course not!"

I`m concerned that they will just quickly and carelessly wash, with too dirty of a mitt, then dry without ensuring that the surface is dirt-free and possibly swirling there. I`ve seen dealerships` pre-delivery staff do handwashes where they washed the wheels and then the body with the same mitt. My friend ordered a brand new Toyota, it pretty much came off the truck and then to him in the span of 2 days, and it came out of the dealership with swirls (pretty bad for a new car, at least). So if those dealership pre-delivery guys think that they are doing a proper handwash, what are the chances of all the local detailing places being any better?

Super
12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Ask round town that others had there car/s done at your local Detailing place is the best way. Or just ask your local Detailing place how they do a car - do they clay? Do they polish? Do they just you glaze? Do they guarantee there work? Don`t be afraid to hurt a business feeling, “its businessâ€. I feel better when people are “out right†then beating round the bush. Tell them that you want a REAL GOOD job done on your car because most people just want cheap jobs done mainly because they don’t know better.

I took a look at there web site and I don’t want to judge on what they use and the price they give because Cailf prices if different then other places. On average jobs I charge $250.00 for a good detail much more if it’s neglected but again I live in Calif.

Other way see if there is any Autopia’s living near you. Good luck

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I would try and see into the workings of the shop. Try and stand outside the garage and see how the workers are actually washing the cars. I`d also try and see a car before it goes through the shops wash process and afterwards. Try and see if there are any swirls added to the paint (this may be difficult, i know, but you can try =/) Also, as Super said, be up front with the people. make it clear that you want a quality job, not some half-arsed swirl creation. As Super also said, look around at people`s locations when they post. Ask people around your area if they can maintain your car through the winter.

Ed Fisher
12-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I do agree with the other comments, plus I am very concerned about how the detailers` employees treat the cars. I usually don`t use the services of a detailer other than my `52 Chrysler`s needs or a serious problem whih I cannot or fail to remedy myself.

I deserted the most famous detailer in my area after I saw one of the employees swirving a car while backing up. When I told his boss what he was doing, the boss simply backed his employee by telling me they were tight on schedule and that was why his employees were "acting fast" !!!

I also pay special attention to go to the detailer in a weekday. At the weekdays they have too many customers to ever care too much about the end result` s quality. (Many people pay without much of a fuss no matter what the result)

Good luck

Accumulator
12-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Watch them wash a car and also look at the end result. If their wash regimen isn`t something you`d do, then go elsewhere. If the cars they`ve done look swirled up, go elsewhere.

Simply tell them how particular you are and that you want to watch how they do their work. If they won`t let you watch, well, that`s a clue ;)

Heh heh, a friend of mine had his silver S8 (identical to mine) detailed at the highly-regarded local shop. His "after" look (recently detailed) looked a lot worse than my "before" look (post deer-incident repairs, post winter, as bad as my cars get). He thought his detailer was *so* good, even when we were standing there looking at both cars :rolleyes: My wife could tell the identical cars apart from over 50` away :D