PDA

View Full Version : AVOID Jim Archer Jeep Houston, TX

Pages : [1] 2

LouisanaJeeper
12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
EDIT: cliffs notes version:

i went to this stealership a few weeks ago. basically they said they would fix a problem, i let them try twice. 10 days and $800 later the jeep was still not working 100%. they would not refund $$$ just wanted to try more $$$$ repair at my cost.

Mechanic seemed like an OK guy, but I still was dissapointed overall w/ the experience

White95Max
12-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Haha well put. Sorry you had to be out that much money. Dealerships p*ss me off more often than not. I`m still undecided on getting a rear spoiler for my car, but even with something as simple as that, I`ll take it to an independent shop. I don`t go to dealerships unless it`s the only option.

My uncle wrote a long statement to Mazda Corporate about the dealership in Chicago covering his brand new black Tribute with horrible swirls/holograms. He didn`t get any sympathy though. I don`t even think he ever got a response from them. :down

JeffM
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I would have told them to take out the 660 dollar part, and put it back on the shelf.

I once had a power stroke diesel and the cam sensors go bad on those in about 14k miles.

I knew it was the cam sensor, im sure they knew it, but when i picked the truck up, they told me "it was a quart low on oil"

I couldnt believe it. When a cam sensor goes, the truck just dies, doesnt matter where you are or what your doing.

So, the next day when i died, i was halfway through an intersection with 6000 lbs of sand in the back of it lol.

I called the dealer and told them how retarted they are, and i have 6000 lbs of sand in my truck, and i will be picking it up tomorrow hahah.

Stupid bastids had it ready for me the next day ....

Another gem is the Ford Tauras we had. The rotars on those are garbage, and it was warped at 17k miles. The iddiot had the nerve to tell me that i brake too hard.

Now when i goto dealerships, i treat them like they are children, and spell everything out for them. I left a stickie note on my steering wheel, "Do not touch paint, or wipe it after work is done, leave it"

Paint had finger prints all over it,but it wasnt wiped down with a rag...

BlindFusion
01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I do hate dealerships. :wall

I went to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl last year and while I was there, my 02 Civic broke down. The engine ran fine, just the transmission would not move the car. I spent a week in Dallas trying to get things sorted out, the dealership there told me that I had to buy a new transmission, the "extended warranty" company told me that they would rebuild my transmission, but I just wanted a new one (side note: the guy I had to talk to at this insurance company, told me that he didn`t care what I wanted and that there were no way in hell that he was authorize a new or rebuilt tranmission). I couldn`t believe that a Honda Civic with only 2 years on it would break down like that. The only shining point in this story is that when I called the dealership that I bought it from (Gillman Honda in Richmond/Rosenberg), the service advisor (Nicole) gave me the number for American Honda. Now, the guy at the dealership in Dallas told me that he had called and complained to them, but they didn`t care because it was like 5k miles off warranty. I call, I leave a message and the very next day, I get a call from the dealership in Dallas telling me that American Honda is installing a new transmission and picking up the entire bill.

It was a horrible experience, but I`m glad that there are some people out there at those dealerships who are honest and will actually help you, even if it`s not gonna earn them a $1000 comission.

I agree with JBM though, tell them they can have their $600 part back.

imported_chpsk8
01-14-2006, 10:24 PM
I feel for ya. I had my Ram in for a wind noise problem at my local dealership. (Hudson Dodge Chrysler) They kept it for 55 days!!!! I got the run around every time I called. At one point they offered a free extended warranty. After they finally fixed the problem they backed out of the free extended warranty and said that they weren`t going to give it to me, and that I was never offered it. They broke my auto start which I had to pay to fix, and also replaced my windshield, but refused to pay for the tint that I had done to the window. There`s way more to my story but I won`t get into it. Short story is that they had it for 55 consecutive days, but they actually worked on it for almost 11 months. I got nothing out of the deal except a worthless loaner and a hollow feeling when I see that dealer. Registered letters to the head cheeses is on tap for me. I plan on taking this to the top! :D

Good luck with yours. You need to contact the dealer owner, and the head of Chrysler. PM me, I have the addresses at work.

LouisanaJeeper
01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I feel for ya. I had my Ram in for a wind noise problem at my local dealership. (Hudson Dodge Chrysler) They kept it for 55 days!!!! I got the run around every time I called. At one point they offered a free extended warranty. After they finally fixed the problem they backed out of the free extended warranty and said that they weren`t going to give it to me, and that I was never offered it. They broke my auto start which I had to pay to fix, and also replaced my windshield, but refused to pay for the tint that I had done to the window. There`s way more to my story but I won`t get into it. Short story is that they had it for 55 consecutive days, but they actually worked on it for almost 11 months. I got nothing out of the deal except a worthless loaner and a hollow feeling when I see that dealer. Registered letters to the head cheeses is on tap for me. I plan on taking this to the top! :D

Good luck with yours. You need to contact the dealer owner, and the head of Chrysler. PM me, I have the addresses at work.

this situation was never resolved. i was actually going to send a another set of letters certified mail so the actual owner gets it not some manager who just throws it away. or get sent into the worthless CS reps at chrysler. so yeah PM the adresss for chrysler people when you get a chance

my sister eneded up selling the jeep privatley and bought a 05 nissan xterra v6

Scottwax
01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Sounds like Hiley Mazda in Arlington. I had a CEL and an intermittent low speed miss. I took my car to my regular mechanic and he said the code he was getting didn`t match any known codes. I then took my car to Hiley Mazda and their code reader gave the correct code for an O2 sensor (the code my mechanic got had an 8 in front of the 0133 code for the O2 for some odd reason). They then said my valve cover gaskets were leaking and that was causing the misfire. I told them to replace the O2 sensor (a $78 part) and I would take care of the valve cover gaskets myself. I go to pick up my car and the bill is for $295! They charged me $78 for the sensor, $35 for the installation and the rest was for diagnosis and a general check of the car. I told the lady who wrote my initial service request how outrageous the cost was and she said their standard diagnosis cost is $95 and I had two problems. :angry I needed my car so I paid the bill.

On the way home, I picked up new plugs to switch them out. I pulled out the old plugs and saw no oil fouling, nor any oil in the plug tubes. Now I was really pissed. In addition, even with new plugs, I still had the misfire. I ended up taking the car to the mechanic my Dad uses because he seems to be able to diagnose problems faster than anyone else I know. Turns out my #2 and #4 plug wires were bad. New plug wires, no more misfire.

It really hacked me off that Hiley Mazda was going to rip me off for more than $300 to change out the valve cover gaskets (4 hours of labor plus the gaskets) for a non-existant problem then would have had to call me to tell me they found out my plug wires were also bad.

Talking to the service manager did nothing, told him not only would they never see my car again but also that my next car would definitely not be a Mazda.

White95Max
01-14-2006, 11:23 PM
she said their standard diagnosis cost is $95 and I had two problems. :angry I needed my car so I paid the bill.

That sounds just like my experience with the Maxima at a tire shop that diagnosed two codes for me. They charged me $55 EACH to read the codes, and $55 EACH to clear the codes! :angry

This was before I visited www.maxima.org, and discovered that I could check and clear codes myself in under 2 minutes, with no more than a small flathead screwdriver. I was so piss*d off about wasting $220 on that.

Later on, I decided to change out my knock sensor and oxygen sensor, because those two codes kept coming back (of course I checked/cleared them myself at this point). I was able to replace the oxygen sensor pretty easily, but the knock sensor was located in the valley of the block, under the intake manifold. I had heard before that this was a PITA to change, so I called up the nearest Nissan dealer. They wanted over $400 to change a damn knock sensor! :eek: They said it would involve removing the manifold, and then you have to replace the manifold gasket, labor for this, labor for that...

So long story short, I ended up devising a way to reach in there and remove/replace the knock sensor successfully in about 30 minutes. :)

It really is frustrating to hear how much these simple things can cost at a dealership, or even a small corner shop. I just can`t understand how some people have even the smallest jobs done by a mechanic, when they could easily do it themselves for a small fraction of the cost. And often the place will add on some other stupid crap to jack up the bill.

LouisanaJeeper
01-14-2006, 11:53 PM
autozone will pull codes for free FYI

White95Max
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the tip, but I learned that as well after paying big $$$ to have the codes pulled. :(

I haven`t had the CEL come on with the Mazda yet, but I`ll be going to Autozone if/when it does come on.

Super
01-15-2006, 06:49 AM
I work on my own cars, you can pull codes by putting a paper clip into a wire and any codes if there is will flash so many times and you look up the code.

Best to buy a shop manual for your car!

Stalling at idle could mean a few things first it could be the MAF (mass flow senor) or the IAC (idle air control) both of these you can clean with electronic cleaning fluid (leaves no residue). Or it could mean a vacuum leak, fuel filter replacement, dirty butterfly contaminated with carbon clean with rag only /w cleaning fluid don’t spray cleaning fluid into intake housing, dirty air filter?

At 100000 miles you should do a complete tune up wires, plugs, O2 senor/s, pcv valve, change the tran fluid and a few others and maybe you should be thinking about changing to Synthetic oil like Mobile 1 5-30w you will get better gas mileage and your engine will last longer.

If you are going to keep your car for a while I will put on ceramic dis brake pads because they stop better and leaves hardly any brake dust and don’t forget to machine the rotors and torque the wheel lugs.

LouisanaJeeper
01-15-2006, 10:42 AM
yes i normally do all my own work. i would not have gone to the stealer unless it was absolutely necessary. in houston so i could not work on it in my garage.

anyway prior to taking it to the stealer i did the following, only about $100 to do all this, probably would have been $1300 at stealer to try this:

cleaned throttle body

ran seafoam thru intake manifold

checked plugs and plug wires

repaced coil

replaced tps

replaced a couple tps wires on the harness that looked like were on way out

replaced IAC

replaced fuel filter

checked harnesses going into the ECU/PCM for loose wires/connectors

tightened battery terminals

battery was ony about 6months old so i did not check the batt/alternator. probably a bad mistake obvioulsy

i still did not know what was wrong with it, i think it was a short somewhere in the main harness like i told the stealer when i first dropped it off

qwik5o
01-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I am beginning to see why people buy Hondas now. Our service department has always had positive feedback...

Crappy you had to go through that. Hope something works out for you.

imported_chpsk8
01-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Here`s the addresses I used. Get a certified letter to the head of Chrysler, and the dealership owner, not the manager. CC the Manager and Customer service. Certified letters are a little $$, but you`ll have proof they got it.

Dieter Zetsche

President & Chief Executive Officer

DaimlerChrysler Corporation

1000 Chrysler Drive

Auburn Hills MI 48326-2766

This one you probably already have. Dieters address is harder to find.

Dodge Division of Chrysler Motors Corp

Dodge Customer Center

P.O. Box 21-8004

Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

txz28
01-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I have had similar bad experiences with the service department at the local Archer Dodge on the SW side of Houston. Their service is poor to say the least.

I hope you get a good resolution.