PDA

View Full Version : looking for a swirl remover to include in my detailing process

D4cmaN
12-07-2005, 12:35 AM
im looking for an product that will remove swirls while not harming my factory clear coat. its a fairly new honda civic in blue. after getting repairs done for it, the shop that fixed my body damaged tried to be nice and wash my car. but low and behold, they seem to use a rough cloth or towel to wash and/or dry the car. but anyways, here is how my detailing process goes down. i would like to add in another step of a swirl remover somewhere in their.

1) rinse

2) car soap

3) rinse

4) claybar

5) polish with Meguiars #7 show car glaze

6) top it off with Meguiars Gold Class clear coat wax (liquid base)

thanks

Black240SX
12-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Swirl removal goes between steps 4 and 5. Meguiars Scratch-X is a good choice if you are working by hand.

HomicidalSloth
12-07-2005, 12:56 AM
What you have will work to hide the swirls, but do understand that you are only using a glaze to temporarily hide the swirls, and they will show up again in a matter of months once the oils have dried up. To get rid of them for good, you will need to use an abrasive polish.

edit: Misread what you said, doh. Anyway, second the scratch-x if you`re not using a machine.

Richt
12-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Working by hand another vote herte for The Scratch X or maybe #82 Meguiars Swirl Free polish and a folded terry towel for me.

If working by PC, Poorboys SSR 2 and a polishing pad should clean up new paint nicely.

imported_Neothin
12-07-2005, 06:24 AM
I recently tried some Menzerna FPII by PC and it was a really easy product to use. It will take out new car prep from dealerships swirls.

D4cmaN
12-10-2005, 01:07 AM
its gonna be done by hand.

looks like scratch-x wins. will microfiber cloth towels do the job? and how much should i be using? small drops or enough for a thick layer?

thanks fellas

Black240SX
12-10-2005, 01:44 PM
You`ll get different results depending on what applicator you use. A terry cotton towel will give the most cut, but may leave some marring behind. A foam pad is the most gentle but may be too gentle. A microfiber cloth is somewhere in between. You`ll need to experiment and see what works best on your paint.

With Scratch-X, you want to apply a nickel sized blob to your applicator then work it in to the paint vigorously over a small area. It`s not like a wax, you have to work it until the abrasives break down and it turns clear or starts to dry. Then wipe it off. You may have to do several applications.