PDA

View Full Version : Here`s what happens when you let your products freeze

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
My S&G froze today (high of 6*F, not a surprise) while it was sitting in my car. I had thought about taking it out a while ago, but I was curious as to whether it would change the product at all by allowing it to freeze.

Well...it`s different to say the least.

BTW it was completely thawed at the time of this picture.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/S_G_Frozen.jpg

So my opinion is that YES, you should avoid letting your products freeze. It obviously changes something.

imported_truzoom
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Hopefully that package won`t freeze by the time it gets there!

White95Max
12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
And for anyone that thinks the color/transparency of the bottles are causing the difference in liquid color, here`s another comparison...

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/S_G_Frozen2.jpg

White95Max
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Hopefully that package won`t freeze by the time it gets there!

I doubt it. The temperatures are supposed to be warming until Sunday. This weekend is forecasted to be in the low/mid-30s! Time to wash the car and add a coat of Collinite IW! :D

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Only in Wisconsin do the glasses have fish on them...don`t drink that stuff! And turn that light off! You`ll run up your electric bill! :p

But seriously, I wonder what the mechanism of change was due to the freezing.

PS You sure you don`t want to change your major to engineering? You`re always doing experiments...

wytstang
12-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Holy crap man a high of 6* no freakin way could I survive that.

White95Max
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
wytstang - we had a field trip for my NAT251 class. We went hiking through the woods to take measurements of the water table elevation and dissolved oxygen content. And that was at lunchtime, when it was still 4*F. :(

Setec - that fish glass was a Christmas present from my grandparents a few years ago. And I promptly poured it back in the jug. :)

LOL I had TWO lights on when I took those pictures! :eek: I`ll be sorry when that bill comes! :lol

wytstang
12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
And that was at lunchtime, when it was still 4*F. :(

:soscared:

White95Max
12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
PS You sure you don`t want to change your major to engineering? You`re always doing experiments...

I`m a scientific kinda guy. Anyone on the internet can give you an opinion, and add as much bias as they please. I prefer to prove things to myself whenever possible. That`s the only way to get the facts.

Dacali
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Time to wash the car and add a coat of Collinite IW! :D

I`m looking forward to seeing how the IW845 holds up during the winter for you. :dance

-Dacali

Mikeyc
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
But seriously, I wonder what the mechanism of change was due to the freezing.

The components of the product freeze at different temperatures. Therefore, as the different components freeze the solution seperates into its componenets.

gmblack3
12-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I`m in the atlanta area and I took all my stuff from the garage into the house. :scared:

Down to about 25° here tonight.

C. Charles Hahn
12-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Can you tell any difference in terms of product effectiveness?

wannafbody
12-07-2005, 07:37 AM
what happens if a water based product freezes? shouldn`t it just remix after being thawed?

Setec Astronomy
12-07-2005, 07:52 AM
That`s what I was asking (what is the mechanism of change). We have all seen products (car related or not) that say "do not allow to freeze" so something obviously happens. Somebody should ask Poorboy. Ok, Ok, I`ll do it. :rolleyes: