PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUSLY Filthy carpet... Plan of attack?

Pages : [1] 2

andyman
12-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Okay... So I bought this new playtoy. A fixer-upper if you will. My friends and I have nicknamed it "The Abomination". Parts of it are in ROUGH shape. Others are suprisingly okay.

WARNING!!!! DISTURBING IMAGE BELOW!!! NOT FOR FAINT OF HEART!!! DETAILERS NIGHTMARE!!!!

Carpet PIC (http://gibbsfamily.smugmug.com/photos/47109661-L.jpg)

I`ve hit a showstopper with the carpet though. The seat brackets got rusty, and the rust seeped into the carpet. HOW CAN I CLEAN UP THIS MESS?!?! I`ve tried water/woolite 6:1, tuff stuff, and the Dri-Clean stuff. Not having too much luck. I`m SURE there`s a better product, but what is it? Hints, tips, etc? Seats are out, and I`ve removed the brackets, bead-blasted, and primer/painted them. They`re good, so no worries of them "re-infecting" the carpet.

I`ve done some searching and haven`t turned up much.

BTW, don`t make fun of it yet... I know I`ve got a LONG way to go.

chml17l
12-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Dude, no amount of cleaning is gonna resurrect that carpet. :faint: It`s time to spring for a replacement and not just a "deep" cleaning. :grinno:

This was not intended to be a harsh criticism, just an honest opinion.

:welcome to Autopia! :woot:

joyriiide1113
12-06-2005, 01:00 PM
a priest!!!!

LightngSVT
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
yowzers man! Seriously its time for new carpet, no joke.

benpocock
12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Yep, that`s a gonner! Even if you could get it clean, with the amount of time and chemical required it would be cheaper to get a new one.

Ben

andyman
12-06-2005, 01:50 PM
LOL!!! Allright! You got me. I checked into prices after I heard the first person pass out and hit the floor. A new molded carpet is gonna be like $125 bucks or something. Not bad

I don`t generally skimp when it comes to cleaning/detailing/refurbishing/rebuilding, but there is SO much that needs attention with this truck, I`m trying to "cut corners" where I can. You know, if I can clean it for $75... That`ll save me $50 here. $50 here, $50 over there... it all adds up. You know.

Thanks for the honest opinion! Seriously.

I was gonna throw in some pics of the roof, but figured that the carpet pic was enough for a day or so. ...the roof has a nice texture.... kind of reminds me of 60 grit. :soscared:

imported_Neothin
12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
If you really want to try, full strength apc mixed with straight woolite and a few scoops of oxyclean with some rug doctor and 303 spot remover thrown in for the heck of it. pour (not spray lol) some on, and agitate. Extract and repeaat a few times (because one time isnt going to cut it).

or

pay $125 and have fresh new clean carpet put it :D

Lowejackson
12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
New carpet :xyxthumbs and check the securing bolts for the seats are not rusted

splattj
12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
You could try some CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) on a spot to see what you chances are like. If it won`t touch it, I doubt anything will.

TN9thSi
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Sure looks too far gone to me. If you do replace the carpet, it might be a good idea to take the seat tracks and brackets out and re-paint them. Better yet, go have `em powdercoated so you don`t get the rust problem again.

imported_eLrEyNaDa
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
it takes a extractor, a good carpet cleaner who makes a little bit of foam ( it`s your choice, but it`s recommanded)a product made with petroleum especially made to get ride of the rust on your carpet.

Apply the carpet cleaner and leave it work for 5 minutes, after this rub the carpet and let it work again for another 5 to 10 minutes. Then extract

Apply the product for the rust where there`s rust and then let it work for 10 to 15 minutes. Extract. Do it again if the rust is still there. Extract carefully

go in a company of distribution of industrial maintenance products (for contractors) and ask them some tips on products.

Try to find Chemspec products. They are considered like the best product for carpet maintenance

I can sell chemspec product for you but i`m from Quebec, Canada ;)

imported_eLrEyNaDa
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.chemspecworld.com/dist_detail.asp?selState=TN&distNbr=124

a reseller from nashvill

For the rust the product is Rust Remover and the shampoo i think Green Carpet & Upholstery Shampoo can do a great job

Neo62381
12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Honestly, If it were mine, I`d just take out the carpet and take a pressure washer to it, clean what was left with folex, and it would probably come out better than you would think. My GF`s car was almost that bad in one spot

andyman
12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Pressure washing is what I was starting to get in mind :think2

Thanks for all the tips, they are great. Replacement in this case would probably be best, but I`m gonna give cleaning it the college try. This thing isn`t my daily driver, so I have all the time in the world to futz with it. Plus, I LOVE A CHALLENGE! LOL.

I did the woolite/water thing the other day, and it actually looks 200% better than in the pic. Now it just looks like dirty carpet rather than a filthy doormat.

I`ll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Andy

Scottwax
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Remove the carpet, pressure wash it from the back side out and definitely repaint the seat brackets!