PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about prep prior to zpc

EdgeOfSanity
12-05-2005, 07:46 PM
I`ve been searching around the site for zpc related discussions and while i have learned a lot, i still have a few questions. First, is it necessary to do a dawn wash prior to application with a pc orbital buffer? I`ve put approximately 40 layers of zaino on my car since i bought it new a year and a half ago. Also, is it neccessary to claybar before doing so? The car im doing this to is a black 350z that is daily driven. Last time i clayed was about 3-4 months ago after a trip to the beach.

TGates
12-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I would claybar, yes. I would NOT wash with Dawn. The Z-PC via PC after claying and a normal Z6 wash will leave a finish ready to start the Z process all over again, IMO.

Scottwax
12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I completely agree with Tyler.

TGates
12-05-2005, 11:28 PM
I also wanted to point out (and please don`t take this as a flame as I have done the same thing) that 40 layers of Zaino actually isn`t 40 layers of Zaino. There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere around 5 or 6 according to the experts. However, if you like to just get out there and bond with your car, man and machine, and apply the Z polish, more power to ya! I have been known to to the same thing. It sure is relaxing... at least until you find that new scratch or rock chip.

imported_Neothin
12-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Or you run out of a product like I`ve done on more than one occasion. Talk about a mood breaker.

the process of claying removes "stuff" off the surface of the paint leaving the paint bare. For the most part this includes any waxes, sealants, or other products that may be present (this is why once you have a LSP combo on your car your only supposed to spot clay vs doing the whole car). This includes Zaino. a higher concentration Z-6 wash and claying should remove most of the zaino that is present on your car before you start your Z-PC application. I don`t see a need for a dawn wash either. If your really worried about it, try using a harsher wash soap like NXT.

EdgeOfSanity
12-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I also wanted to point out (and please don`t take this as a flame as I have done the same thing) that 40 layers of Zaino actually isn`t 40 layers of Zaino. There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere around 5 or 6 according to the experts. However, if you like to just get out there and bond with your car, man and machine, and apply the Z polish, more power to ya! I have been known to to the same thing. It sure is relaxing... at least until you find that new scratch or rock chip.

i enjoy doing it, i usually try to find time to do a layer every week if the weather is good.

EdgeOfSanity
12-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Or you run out of a product like I`ve done on more than one occasion. Talk about a mood breaker.

the process of claying removes "stuff" off the surface of the paint leaving the paint bare. For the most part this includes any waxes, sealants, or other products that may be present (this is why once you have a LSP combo on your car your only supposed to spot clay vs doing the whole car). This includes Zaino. a higher concentration Z-6 wash and claying should remove most of the zaino that is present on your car before you start your Z-PC application. I don`t see a need for a dawn wash either. If your really worried about it, try using a harsher wash soap like NXT.

i remember hearing that claying doesnt remove zaino, i`ve done it several times and it didnt look like any was removed to me.

imported_Neothin
12-06-2005, 12:02 AM
I was under the impression that it removed Zaino =/ Can anyone else chime in?

SpoiledMan
12-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Clay is an abrasive so I`d be with the thinking that some/most of it would have to be removed.

TGates
12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
The Zaino clay is advertised as non-abrasive, but we all know the clay debacle with regards to where it all comes from... seems one chunk of clay may very well be another, which just so happens to not be advertised as non-abrasive. It`s hard to tell. Either way, a clay, Z6 wash, and Z-PC will leave the finish bare.

imported_memnuts
12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
It never hurts to claybar a surface prior to any extensive polishing. You can always do the "baggie over hand" test to see if the surface is really smooth. If you are going to Z-PC a Dawn wash is not necessary, but some type of wash is - a "Z7" wash, not Z6( Zaino QD), will be sufficient cleaning prior to Z-PC for a oil-free finish and maximal Z polish bonding.

Factoid: A claybar vendor, like some bulk wax vendor, can specify and design to a point the composition of their labelled claybar. There maybe only a few bulk manufacturers but there is flexibility (i.e. amount of or absence of abrasives) in the final product(s).