PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean VERY porous aluminum?

GlossyTundra
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I have a TRD skidplate on my 2003 tundra. The metal is aluminum, but it is extremely porous and rough. I have had it for about a year and a half, and it kinda looks dingy. I have tried simple green diluted 1:10 w/steel wool, and various other things. I need to brighten it up a litte bit.

Thanks

Brandon

imported_truzoom
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Mother`s Powerball?

stilez
12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Ahhh!

Simple Green is far too caustic for that piece.

Try #0000 Steel wool and Flitz. Also, keep it Zaino`d or Klasse`d for protection.

Bill D
12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Quality metal polishes like Rolite and the corresponding product from English Custom Polish. You can get good results by using the product via cotton felt buffing wheel mounted on a drill.

I did all of the aluminum components of my garage door experimenting in various ways :o

aaron33
12-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Thickened fibre disposable cloths with a metal polish. I use Autosol, and then follow up with NXT All Metal Polysh. Autosol gets it clean and leaves fine scratches, while NXT brings it back to a mirror shine.

GlossyTundra
12-06-2005, 04:29 AM
I will have to post pics of this item later on today. It is not shiney, it is silver in color, almost like it has been painted. The powerball trick may work, but i am not counting on it getting in the grooves.

Brandon

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Ahhh!

Simple Green is far too caustic for that piece.

Try #0000 Steel wool and Flitz. Also, keep it Zaino`d or Klasse`d for protection.

Agreed.

Or, dare I say it.... simichrome

sspeer
12-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I had pretty good luck on my bike wheels (sportster mags) by using Noxon 7 to cut the oxidation quickly and then use some NXT, Flitz, or Simichrome to get the shine and protection.

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I had pretty good luck on my bike wheels (sportster mags) by using Noxon 7 to cut the oxidation quickly and then use some NXT, Flitz, or Simichrome to get the shine and protection.

Noxon 7 is scary stuff.... kinda reminds me of comet cleaning powder in a liquid/cream formula :faint:

aaron33
12-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Over here, some people have tried Gumption as well. It`s like Jif cleaning liquid, but in a paste form. Good for toilets and metal.

imported_gusbubba
12-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Depending on how thick the crud is , I`ve used a pumice stone to clean various (non-asthetic) metals.

A tad abrasive , sure , but it will clean up the heavy stuff quickly.