PDA

View Full Version : AIO replacing Mequiars Hand Polish in the process, what do you think?

Roger R
12-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Upon getting my order of Klasse AIO and SG I wondered if I`d even need to use the Mequiars Hand Polish for the step after clay and paint cleaner. Because the AIO does everything, I just wonder if the cleaner/polish/protectant is "watered down a bit" and not as concentrated as a product like Mequiars Hand Polish? Hell, if the AIO really does the first two step like it says, I wonder if it could/will replace the paint cleaner, thus leaving me with:

-clay barring

-AIO

-SG

-Caranuba Wax

I guess I`m torn between products that do ONE specific thing and do it well or a product thats supposed to do up to 3 things at once. What do you guys think about this. I don`t mind the work involved with using the old products and want to keep doing a correct and quality job for myself and my customers. Thanks guys!

Dacali
12-03-2005, 01:52 PM
-clay barring

-AIO

-SG

-Caranuba Wax

That`s what I went with for about a year or two. :up

-Dacali

Accumulator
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I generally consider AIO to be primarily a paint cleaner. IMO the AIO is gonna be a *much* better cleaner than the #81 and yeah, the AIO will provide some protection (but not enough to preclude the use of a LSP so put some layers of KSG over it).

As far as "polish" goes, people use the word in many different ways. Both the #81 and AIO make things look shinier. The #81 is nonabrasive and the AIO is generally functionally nonabrasive on most paints. The stuff the AIO leaves behind is longer-lasting than the stuff that #81 leaves behind but won`t fill imperfections as well.

The #81 will hide some imperfections but the AIO will often highlight them instead.

I use AIO (before KSG) on vehicles where I have a basically marring-free finish. I use products like #81 on vehicles where I`m trying to hide some remaining imperfections.

You gotta top #81 with a LSP and you oughta top AIO too. KSG lasts longer than most LSPs that you can use on top of #81 (possible exceptions being Collinite waxes and then only if compared to only one layer of KSG).

And no, I`ve never tried using something like #81 over top of AIO. I wouldn`t try #81 under KSG as I`d expect it to cause bonding issues.

There are very different approaches that all work surprisingly well. In this case, there

s not really a big difference in number of steps the way I see it: four (wash, clay, AIO, SG) instead of five (wash, clay, paint cleaner, pure polish, LSP). Subtle differences in appearance perhaps, but the same general level of results, *if* the paint is already in good condition marring-wise. Big "if" there IMO. Sometimes there`s a good reason to use one approach instead of the other, sometimes it`s just personal preference.

Roger R
12-04-2005, 07:40 AM
I generally consider AIO to be primarily a paint cleaner. IMO the AIO is gonna be a *much* better cleaner than the #81 and yeah, the AIO will provide some protection (but not enough to preclude the use of a LSP so put some layers of KSG over it).

As far as "polish" goes, people use the word in many different ways. Both the #81 and AIO make things look shinier. The #81 is nonabrasive and the AIO is generally functionally nonabrasive on most paints. The stuff the AIO leaves behind is longer-lasting than the stuff that #81 leaves behind but won`t fill imperfections as well.

The #81 will hide some imperfections but the AIO will often highlight them instead.

I use AIO (before KSG) on vehicles where I have a basically marring-free finish. I use products like #81 on vehicles where I`m trying to hide some remaining imperfections.

You gotta top #81 with a LSP and you oughta top AIO too. KSG lasts longer than most LSPs that you can use on top of #81 (possible exceptions being Collinite waxes and then only if compared to only one layer of KSG).

And no, I`ve never tried using something like #81 over top of AIO. I wouldn`t try #81 under KSG as I`d expect it to cause bonding issues.

There are very different approaches that all work surprisingly well. In this case, there

s not really a big difference in number of steps the way I see it: four (wash, clay, AIO, SG) instead of five (wash, clay, paint cleaner, pure polish, LSP). Subtle differences in appearance perhaps, but the same general level of results, *if* the paint is already in good condition marring-wise. Big "if" there IMO. Sometimes there`s a good reason to use one approach instead of the other, sometimes it`s just personal preference.

Being new here, can you or someone break these down for me:

-LSP

If I`m understanding the answer to my question right, the AIO can replace my Mequiars hand polish then? I`m also assuming that one coat of SG over AIO will protect and shine just fine and the Caranuba over the AIO and SG isn`t as necessary then? Everything that I`ve read here says that putting a good Caranuba (P21S, my Griots Caranuba hard paste, etc) makes the paint look even deeper and gives that extra layer of protection over the AIO and SG. I`m also getting the impression that AIO is has more emphisis on cleaning and less on protection, so should I just replace the Mequiars Medallion premium paint cleaner with AIO, follow it up with a pure polish to bring out the color more, follow that with SG and top it with Caranuba? I`m not really a novice at this, but welcome all input as this makes me more knowledgeable and offers the best process for me and my customers!

Accumulator
12-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Being new here, can you or someone break these down for me:

-LSP

If I`m understanding the answer to my question right, the AIO can replace my Mequiars hand polish then? I`m also assuming that one coat of SG over AIO will protect and shine just fine and the Caranuba over the AIO and SG isn`t as necessary then? Everything that I`ve read here says that putting a good Caranuba (P21S, my Griots Caranuba hard paste, etc) makes the paint look even deeper and gives that extra layer of protection over the AIO and SG. I`m also getting the impression that AIO is has more emphisis on cleaning and less on protection, so should I just replace the Mequiars Medallion premium paint cleaner with AIO, follow it up with a pure polish to bring out the color more, follow that with SG and top it with Caranuba? I`m not really a novice at this, but welcome all input as this makes me more knowledgeable and offers the best process for me and my customers!

Let`s see if I can clarify, sorry I didn`t do better the first time.

LSP= Last Step Product = "wax" or "sealant"

#81 = Meguiar`s Hand Polish, pro version

The SG is what`ll give real protection. No comparson between it and most waxes including the P21s and the Griot`s. Get a few layers of SG on the AIO and then add wax if you think it needs it, but the "improvement" will be purely cosmetic. For durability and protection the SG is gonna beat any wax this side of Collinite.

The wax will provide an additional sacrificial layer over the SG, but I`d just keep adding more SG from time to time in most cases (that`s what I do these days with the vehicle I use Klasse on). So topping the SG with wax is optional and not always the best idea.

You can`t use a pure polish before the SG. SG is a bit finicky about what it`ll bond to. Best to apply it over top of AIO.

You need to decide between the pure polish topped with wax approach and the Klasse twins approach. They`re mutually exclusive.

I don`t think I`ve ever used the Medallion Paint Cleaner, so I can`t comment on it.

DM101
12-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I like to use RMG after the AIO. I do not know if it helps but it creates a nice finish.

Malachi71
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
[quote name=`Roger R`]Upon getting my order of Klasse AIO and SG I wondered if I`d even need to use the Mequiars Hand Polish for the step after clay and paint cleaner. Because the AIO does everything, I just wonder if the cleaner/polish/protectant is "watered down a bit" and not as concentrated as a product like Mequiars Hand Polish? Hell, if the AIO really does the first two step like it says, I wonder if it could/will replace the paint cleaner, thus leaving me with:

-clay barring

-AIO

-SG

-Caranuba Wax

I guess I`m torn between products that do ONE specific thing and do it well or a product thats supposed to do up to 3 things at once. What do you guys think about this. I don`t mind the work involved with using the old products and want to keep doing a correct and quality job for myself and my customers. Thanks guys![/QUOTE?

I`ve never tried Klasse. I may try to order some.

Malachi71
12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Can AIO be used without a Sealant and Caranuba Wax?

Will it still offer good protection and durability?

How good is it as a stand alone?

3Dog
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
AIo while having some protectants, I dont feel would last long at all. I tend to think of it like painting...AIO is the primer that gives you a surface to work from.

So at the very least AIO/Wax

NEW AGAIN
12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
AIO is great by itselt, Jeffs Werkstatt PRIME is the same if not better than AIO. But Collinite waxes, Insulator wax will give you GREAT protection BUT no CLEANING ABILITY just good protection.

buellwinkle
12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
For me, SG was horrible, threw it away. It streaks, is very to remove and I didn`t think it added any shine or longevity to just AIO by itself. I`ve used AIO for many years but it`s just a cleaner wax, a good one at that but it`s far from a polish. It won`t remove swirls, just hide them. So it depends what Meg polishes you are replacing, it won`t replace #83 or even #80. There are stronger all-in-one products used by detailers and body shops if your finish needs polishing/swirl removal and you want to wax in once step, I use Malco Rejuvenator and it`s about as strong or stronger than #83 but leaves a wax finish.