PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Nail

Rhedd
12-03-2005, 08:58 AM
My friend has a truck he bought not to long ago and has been slowly fixing it up and it is looking great . When he removed the tail gate rail to replace it with a new one he discovered that the og owner had put liquid nail on to hold the old rail on . After putting the new one on he discovered that a some of the liquid nail shows just below rail on the outside of the bed , so my question is . Does anyone have any ideas how to get this off without hurting the paint and having to repaint ?

Accumulator
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I`d try my standard answer to Qs like this: 3M Adhesive Remover. I keep cans of it in the garage, in the basement workshop, all over. Really handy stuff. Other release-agent-type products like DisSolve it, Goo Gone, etc. might do the trick too.

Maybe add a little heat (like from a hair dryer) too.

wash-girl
12-03-2005, 10:45 AM
According to the Liquid Nails FAQ page (http://www.liquidnails.com/faq.do), "In general, Liquid Nails adhesives & caulks can be scraped off when they are softened either by:

1. Heating above 140°F with an electric heat gun or blow dryer.

2. Soaking the adhesive with petroleum jelly, mineral spirits or Liquid Nails Adhesive & Caulk Remover for several hours to several days. (Note that mineral spirits and/or our Remover are not recommended for tub surrounds, vinyl, plastic, painted or varnished.)"

I guess you could give the petroleum jelly a try. Seems like a gentle way to start, before moving on to the tough stuff.

Rhedd
12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Thnx for the quick replys .