PDA

View Full Version : What`s up with Cadillacs?

imported_turbomangt
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I had two Caddy`s this week and both of them had dead batteries when I was done detailing. Why does the battery on these cars drain when the doors are open? does anyone disconnect batteries before interior work?> I shouldn`t have to jump them, Gary

Ron Harris
12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you need to carry a jump box.

brwill2005
12-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I have run a few batteries dead while detailing interiors. Sure is frustrating when you have to jump the car after a tough detail.

Scottwax
12-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I`ve only had that happen one time and it was a GMC Typhoon.

imported_truzoom
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Cadillacs tend to have pretty large electrical systems and it isn`t uncommon for them to have battery/charging issues. We had one come into work today and the electrical system had a problem in it that was causing the owner to have to jump start it every so often.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Cadillacs, like other GM vehicles do not usually have battery, charging issues. The problems with draining batteries while working on interiors usually results from the detailer constantly opening, closing and re-opening the doors again. The key with all GM vehicles is to simply open all of the doors and keep them open the entire time you are working on the interior. If you keep the doors open then you will notice that the interior lights will usually go off after about 15 to 20 minutes.

Just open the doors once when you are ready to do the interior and keep them open.

salty
12-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Cadillacs, like other GM vehicles do not usually have battery, charging issues. The problems with draining batteries while working on interiors usually results from the detailer constantly opening, closing and re-opening the doors again. The key with all GM vehicles is to simply open all of the doors and keep them open the entire time you are working on the interior. If you keep the doors open then you will notice that the interior lights will usually go off after about 15 to 20 minutes.

Just open the doors once when you are ready to do the interior and keep them open.

Most new cars seem to have battery saver. It does make it alot easier than hunting down the right fuse to pull.

psl car wash
12-03-2005, 05:53 PM
a good thing to do if your spending alot of time on an interior is to start the car every 30-40 minutes or so and let it run for about 4 mins each time....thatll solve your problem there.

derek37
12-03-2005, 11:07 PM
a good thing to do if your spending alot of time on an interior is to start the car every 30-40 minutes or so and let it run for about 4 mins each time....thatll solve your problem there.

i agree. Best way to solve it.

Scottwax
12-03-2005, 11:46 PM

Honestly, if you have to do that to keep a car`s battery from running down, something is wrong with the battery. You should be able to leave your interior light on all night and be able to start your car with a properly functioning battery.

I could run my stereo in my Accord (aftermarket amp, etc) for a few hours at a reasonably loud volume and my car would start just fine. I guarantee the amp drew a lot more power than a dome light.

4830Deuce
12-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Honestly, if you have to do that to keep a car`s battery from running down, something is wrong with the battery. You should be able to leave your interior light on all night and be able to start your car with a properly functioning battery.

I could run my stereo in my Accord (aftermarket amp, etc) for a few hours at a reasonably loud volume and my car would start just fine. I guarantee the amp drew a lot more power than a dome light.

agreed...todays cars are really great on power saving...I have left my dome light on over night many of times with no ill effects on start up....maybe its the fact its just GM quality...I just started a war! :getdown

-Justin

Intercooled
12-04-2005, 09:18 AM
GM Quality.you Jerk!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! Ive heard the same thing, that some of these electrical systems are pretty large and the computer will draw alot on its own.

psl car wash
12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

HAHAHA i cant leave mine on for more than 15 minutes with a new charging system without draining my battery!!!

than again i am talking about 3000 watts!! :D

Hemi57
12-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Yeah, I agree with Scottwax.

I had a local GM car which was 2 years old when I bought it. There was absolutely no indication that the battery had any problems other than twice on picnics playing the CD, the battery was too flat to start the car. The second time I only played the CD for about 15 minutes and it was too flat to start. The roadside assist guy said, "what do you expect? the CD draws so much power that it will flatten your battery in no time". I rang the GM dealer and the company who distributed the stereo and they were both vague and reckoned that, yes the CD will kill the battery fairly fast. Finally I took the car to a battery joint and they checked it and diagnosed a bad cell. Replaced the battery and after that you could play the CD for >5 hours with no problems.