PDA

View Full Version : Regular Maintenance

chuck713
12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Just joined the forum. Lots of great informaiton here!

I have a question about regular maintenance. How do you folks maintain your cars in the winter. Here in Michigan it is more than a little cold in the winter.

I am more than a little hesitant to take my new Mercedes to my local car wash. I am only slightly less hesitant to use the local high pressure coin wash system. I am just wondering what you folks do to keep the car looking good during the freezing weather.

Thanks.

TGates
12-02-2005, 08:32 AM
I highly recommend Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash (QEW). You can wash from the comfort of your own garage. Before you ask, yes it really is safe and I have used it on black cars with no ill effects whatsoever. It is my go to wash in the cold months, and even sometimes in the summer months! http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

If you do some searching around on the forum, you`ll see it`s highly regarded as a great time saver and practical wash solution, especially for the winter months.

Note: Just like with any product, a little discretion is advised here. If your car is caked with road salt and grime, you`ll want to do some sort of pre-soak before hitting it with the QEW.

By the way, welcome to Autopia :spot

SK2003TypeS
12-02-2005, 09:38 AM
:welcome to Autopia

QEW helps me get through the winter. Really nice if you have a garage to do it in. I`m usually able to use my neighboors 2 car garage. I just aquired a 1 car garage this year with very little room. I`m sure I`ll still try it.

Otherwise, I`ll do regular hose/bucket washes when the temperature gets above freezing in Jan/Feb. Having water freeze on your car while your washing is not fun.

White95Max
12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
I use QEW all year round, now that I live in an apartment complex. I wash my car in the garage anytime I want. I do it through the winter as well. I plan to wash my car today in the garage with QEW when I get home. :)

imported_Neothin
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
many autopians that live up north do use the coin-ops in winter. They just use it for the pressure washer wand to get salt off the undercarriage.

ramp
12-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I have used the "brushless" high-pressure car wash as my main method of cleaning for nearly six years, since I bought the car new, and it works very well. About every ten times I take it to a "regular" car wash place to get the real dirt off. I have only had it "detailed" two or three times, at the "regular" car wash place, and it still looks pretty good:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/New_wheels_011_Medium_.jpg

W/ today`s new paint formulations, especially the use of clearcoat on top of basecoat finishes, I worry that professional detailers may find it harder stay busy--although I doubt it.

I finally found a real detailer (BlackSunshine), who is going to "winterize" my ride sometime this month, if it ever warms up.

JeffM
12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
For winter, dont let your car idle to warm up for long periods.

Avoid short trips where the oil doesnt get a chance to fully get up to temp.

If you idle your vehicle, make sure to take it out on the HW to burn off any gas in the oil.

Keep the RPM`s low until the car warms up.

I would use the pressure washer without the brush, a good hose down is better than scratching the paint. TLC will return in a few months when winter is over.

White95Max
12-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I have used the "brushless" high-pressure car wash as my main method of cleaning for nearly six years, since I bought the car new, and it works very well. About every ten times I take it to a "regular" car wash place to get the real dirt off. I have only had it "detailed" two or three times, at the "regular" car wash place, and it still looks pretty good:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/New_wheels_011_Medium_.jpg

Just wanted to make your pic a little bigger... :)

lbls1
12-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I maintain my paint in the winter with regular car washes (via hand, of course, once a week rain or shine, or when the weather permits), and regular use of a qd every other wash. If it snows or if there is salt, then get the salt off any way that you can!

A good qd (quick detail or wax enhancer) will prove to be your best friend during the long cold months of winter.

ramp
12-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to make your pic a little bigger... :)

How`d you do that?

White95Max
12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
PM sent Doc...

slov98
12-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I use coin-op wash usually in the morning when it`s not busy but it has to be at least 32F or the water starts freezing during drying. I fill up my own bucket of hot water at home, at coin-op I spray the wheels/tires then pay the initial $2.25 , mix up the shampoo with water, hose down the car and wheels, once the 3 mins are over I handwash the car (fairly quickly so I don`t get caught), then another $2.25 to rinse it again and it`s done.