PDA

View Full Version : need help in central jersey area

borisshnitkin
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
well i was trying to use my porter cable on my 1998 gs400 and i just couldnt do it. there was so much dust after and was pretty hard getting the polish off, so i gave up and just washed the car over and didnt want to worry about the polish, another thing that made me made was the fact that the polish got in between the door jams and on the plastic parts and made it look white. how much would it cost to get it done by someone that knows what they are doing? ill watch them do it this time so i know exactly how to do it next. please give me an estimate of how much something like this would cost me.

thanks alot

boris

borisshnitkin
12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
well i was trying to use my porter cable on my 1998 gs400 and i just couldnt do it. there was so much dust after and was pretty hard getting the polish off, so i gave up and just washed the car over and didnt want to worry about the polish, another thing that made me made was the fact that the polish got in between the door jams and on the plastic parts and made it look white. how much would it cost to get it done by someone that knows what they are doing? ill watch them do it this time so i know exactly how to do it next. please give me an estimate of how much something like this would cost me.

thanks alot

boris

imported_Neothin
12-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Not to try and piss you off or anything but hiring a pro might not be all that helpful to you. 95% of the pro detailers out there are going to use a rotary and using that takes a completely different technique than with a PC. If you still want to to hire someone, and have them use a PC (they might upcharge because of the extra time it takes) the total cost is really going to depend on how bad the car is. It could be anywhere from one hundred something and up for a proper detail.

Some polishes dust alot. That`s just something that your going to have to deal with or switch to a lower dusting polish. Spraying the area with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and wiping with a towel will quickly remove any polish on the paint. For the plastic pieces try something like PB trim restorer.

HomicidalSloth
12-01-2005, 11:57 PM
I`m not from NJ or anything, but my first PC experience was just like this. If you`re interested in learning, just keep with it, because none of us were perfect the first time.

The first time I polished my car with the PC, it ended up EXACTLY like that, and I almost gave up. The second time I used much less polish and worked it slower, and spread a really thin layer instead of thick, and it didn`t fling anywhere. By about the 3rd or 4th time I had it down. After that, I was comfortable enough to do it that it didn`t take me nearly as long.

Setec Astronomy
12-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Sounds like you used way too much polish. You might also want to mask off some of that trim with masking tape; for large areas you can tape an old bedsheet down (or newspaper).

If you really still want to find a pro, where are you in Central Jersey? Can you give a county or town? There is Clean Dean in Monmouth Cty., Mirrorfinishman further south, Spilchy further north. Beercan 31 even further north.

Bill D
12-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Boris,

I assume it was inadvertent, but I see you double posted this message. Please refrain from that. Also, I moved it here,to the appropriate regional forum. Please place state/area/region specific threads in their designated forums. Thanks.