PDA

View Full Version : New Nissan paint can repair itself?

Scottwax
12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
:nervous2:

NISSAN DEVELOPS WORLD`S FIRST CLEAR PAINT THAT REPAIRS SCRATCHES ON CAR SURFACES

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

More:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2005/_STORY/051202-01-e.html

tommyortom
12-01-2005, 10:15 PM
we both saw this on OT hahah....you literally beat me by SECONDS

my thread has pics though :)

Scottwax
12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
we both saw this on OT hahah....you literally beat me by SECONDS

my thread has pics though :)

I think the internets start with OT....

imported_Neothin
12-01-2005, 10:27 PM
So, Scottwax, what will you be doing in light of this news for job security ;)

So is this stuff like a VERY viscous liquid or what? If so i would be worried about the paint dripping off 5 years down the road.

HomicidalSloth
12-02-2005, 04:20 AM
So is this stuff like a VERY viscous liquid or what? If so i would be worried about the paint dripping off 5 years down the road.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

That does seem to be the case! Looks like it doesn`t last too long. We can hope it takes a while to perfect. Otherwise, us guys that do this for a living might just be in trouble! :furious: :think:

Setec Astronomy
12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Well, it appears it will be a Nissan exclusive for a while, and that they won`t be putting it on every vehicle they make. Plus, it may be an extra-cost option, and there will surely be people who go past the three years and scratch the paint. Of course, the press release also says nothing about whether it can be reapplied in the aftermarket, or whether it`s factory-only, which would mean that after the "lease period" is over, it would be a car with regular (scratchable) paint. So I think you pro detailers are pretty safe for a while. BTW, there was another thread about this some time ago, but IIRC, it was a paint mfr. in Europe who was working on it.

Another issue is whether this will be a "slick" surface, or a "sticky" one which will hang onto contaminants and be hard to clean, as well as being prone to etching from the stuff not wanting to wash off. Kinda like eyeglasses with anti-glare coatings.

percynjpn
12-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Another issue is whether this will be a "slick" surface, or a "sticky" one which will hang onto contaminants and be hard to clean, as well as being prone to etching from the stuff not wanting to wash off. Kinda like eyeglasses with anti-glare coatings.

Good point! ;)

s2skimon
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
i`ll need to see it to believe it

SK2003TypeS
12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
i`ll need to see it to believe it

yeah, me too.

MorBid
12-02-2005, 10:01 AM
well I wouldn`t worry too much about it since it will only be available (once perfected) on new Nissan cars then maybe others will follow).

But think of all the cars on the road already that still need some attention :)

stilez
12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Very interesting.

If this holds true and gets large, many of us might need to start offering it in application form :).

mgm2003
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Then I would consider buying another black car -ha, ha. I think not!