PDA

View Full Version : Any dog experts out there?

Pages : [1] 2

Way2SSlow
12-01-2005, 08:38 AM
We have had this dog (mixed breed) for about 7 years now and she always seems to love other dogs. She has always seemed agressive at first, but within minutes, they are running around and playing. Well, over the Thanksgiving holiday we went to my Aunt and Uncle`s house....there were 3 other dogs there and my dog was really enjoying the playtime with the other 3. Since we have been home, she has been acting kind of depressed and lonely. We had been kicking around the idea of getting her another dog for a while, and the way she acted over the holiday vacation sealed the deal. We brought home a male dog (mixed breed..your guess is as good as mine) to be her pal. The dog we brought home has been in the shelter for almost his entire life. He`s a real sweetheart, and gets along with other dogs very well (he shared a pen with two other dogs his entire life). I can tell he is going to be a great dog, he is smart, knows some commands, loves people, is good on a leash, house trained, and pretty playful. The problem that I am having is with my resident dog. She has all the same qualities as he does (well..minus the good on a leash thing:D) but she has been acting funny around him. She won`t give him the time of day. When he comes over to her, she will kinda shrug him off. At night, she sleeps in a chair/foot stool we have for her, and he slept on the floor near her. She usually stays still while she sleeps, but last night she moved to the other side of the room, almost as if to get away from Murray (the new dog). Last night WAS his first night, and he totally warmed up to the family in about 3 minutes.....Anyone have any ideas/opinions/general thoughts about why Jinx (my older dog) isnt acting like she does with all the other dogs that come around? Any suggestions as to what I can do to help them get used to each other.

Jinx always acts weird if anything is at all out of place. Example: when we first got her (Oct 99) we tried to put a bow on her collar (for Xmas) and she acts like she is sick. Her nose goes from Cold/wet to warm and dry, and she just isnt herself. It seems that she is acting sick now ever since Murray came home. Thing is, we didnt spring Murray on her, we brought her with us to the Rescue and she got to meet Murray the same time we did (we found him on Petfinder). What gives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Approximate ages: Jinx-about 7 years (the rescue estimated her to be 8 months when we got her in Oct 99). Murray-about 3-4 years old (he was pretty young when the rescue got him and has spent most his life there).

Accumulator
12-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Well, I probably know a lot more about dogs than I do about cars and detailing ;)

Jinx is just weirding out about change again, and this one`s a pretty big change: a new dog in the household. Just because she loved playing with other dogs under other circumstances (and liked Murray on neutral ground), that doesn`t mean she`ll automatically be thrilled to having another dog sharing her territory (your household) and her pack (your family). This`ll take time. Since she doesn`t really like changes in the routine (e.g., the bow incident), she needs to realize that having Murray around is (now) the *new* routine.

The way she`ll initially be aggressive but then be OK means she`s really touchy about the pack hierarch/pecking order. This is what she`s dealing with. If the dogs *do* get into it (Jinx will probably be the one who starts it) I`d let them sort it out unless it looks like somebody`s really gonna get killed (not too likely).

She might get worse before she gets better, but don`t lose hope and don`t give in and take Murray back. Remember that you`re the pack leader and she has to follow your rules.

Give her time and give her a *lot* of attention so she doesn`t think that she`s been replaced in your affections. The fact that Murray`s a male might make things a little trickier since it generally means that he`ll be higher in the pack hierarchy than she will. Not good news for her since she`s been used to her place for years now. Hopefully, Murray will let her be "top dog" and she`ll get used to things and eventually enjoy having him around. But you gotta get her over the "there`s a new dog here and it`s a male and I don`t like this..." attitude that she`s going through right now.

So just give it time and give her a lot of extra attention. Murray will be OK with this since he sounds like an adaptable sort of dog and he isn`t set in his ways in the new situation yet. He`ll probably be OK with the idea that Jinx comes first with you. And yeah, one dog has to come first, they can`t be equals. Dogs just don`t think like that- it always goes back to the pack hierarchy thing. So let Jinx know that she`s next in line after your (human) family and that Murray comes last. They`ll both be happy once this is clear to everyone (meaning clear to Jinx).

AL-53
12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Hello

I am no expert on dogs..But I have had dogs since I was 9 years old and I am now 53..I have never gone with out a dog friend except when in the service in 1970-73..but he was home when I got home...lol...

Now on to your dilema...It will take time for both dogs to accept each other as housemates..take time to take them out and play with both..do not favor one over the other... you need to socialize them. Remember Jinx has been the only dog and now you have a new member and she may feel she is being left out..so she will kind of blackball the newer entry into the family....but will accept him later on after she realizes she is not being left out and she is still your buddy and you still love her....

Jinx has been #1 for all this time and may feel left out now..they will bond in time just takes time.

I have a mix also..American Bull Dog and Staffordshire Terrier mix....I have a cat also..it took time for them to get accustumed to each other..now they are best friends...Oh..the dog was first then the cat..lol....

The main thing is to do things together with both dogs and show no favortism to any one of them for now...when praising one praise the other when good things are done...

All will work out fine in time....

there are alot of good links on this matter on the web also....alot of the dog rescue groups have info on your problem on thier sites....

Al

percynjpn
12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, I probably know a lot more about dogs than I do about cars and detailing ;)

Jinx is just weirding out about change again, and this one`s a pretty big change: a new dog in the household. Just because she loved playing with other dogs under other circumstances (and liked Murray on neutral ground), that doesn`t mean she`ll automatically be thrilled to having another dog sharing her territory (your household) and her pack (your family). This`ll take time. Since she doesn`t really like changes in the routine (e.g., the bow incident), she needs to realize that having Murray around is (now) the *new* routine.

The way she`ll initially be aggressive but then be OK means she`s really touchy about the pack hierarch/pecking order. This is what she`s dealing with. If the dogs *do* get into it (Jinx will probably be the one who starts it) I`d let them sort it out unless it looks like somebody`s really gonna get killed (not too likely).

She might get worse before she gets better, but don`t lose hope and don`t give in and take Murray back. Remember that you`re the pack leader and she has to follow your rules.

Give her time and give her a *lot* of attention so she doesn`t think that she`s been replaced in your affections. The fact that Murray`s a male might make things a little trickier since it generally means that he`ll be higher in the pack hierarchy than she will. Not good news for her since she`s been used to her place for years now. Hopefully, Murray will let her be "top dog" and she`ll get used to things and eventually enjoy having him around. But you gotta get her over the "there`s a new dog here and it`s a male and I don`t like this..." attitude that she`s going through right now.

So just give it time and give her a lot of extra attention. Murray will be OK with this since he sounds like an adaptable sort of dog and he isn`t set in his ways in the new situation yet. He`ll probably be OK with the idea that Jinx comes first with you. And yeah, one dog has to come first, they can`t be equals. Dogs just don`t think like that- it always goes back to the pack hierarchy thing. So let Jinx know that she`s next in line after your (human) family and that Murray comes last. They`ll both be happy once this is clear to everyone (meaning clear to Jinx).

I think Accumulator `s points are excellent; from past posts it`s obvious that he knows and has experience with dogs! I would suggest that Murray being a male actually makes it easier; Jinx may not like his sudden appearance, but if it were another female it`s quite likely that her presence would be met with physical aggression. Two males will fight it out at first, but will soon settle their differences. Two hostile females will never give up the grudge. :argue

SamIam
12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
We lost our German Shepherd a few years back. We have a Belgian Tervuren (Shepherd) who is now 13 years old and last summer, we adopted a Labrador/Poodle mix that my mother-in-law got just after she moved into a rental house that didn`t allow pets! Both are female. The Lab/Poodle was only about 12 weeks old, and initially scared of the Belgian, but got over it quickly and always wanted to play. For about a week, it was not good. The Belgian snarled when approached, even though she was always petted first, and always fed first. The puppy, being a pup, just kept coming back, till finally, and with a lot of encouragement from my wife, the Belgian started playing with her. Of course, after she flipped the puppy over, put her mouth over the pup`s neck, and the pup relented. Slowly things got better, even though now the "Pup" outweights the Belgian by about 15 or 20 lbs.

Hang in there. After a week, I tried giving the puppy away, but then things worked themselves out and now everyone knows "the pecking order`.

Good luck, and Accumlator, we still need to see pics of the dogs! You don`t see Beuceron`s everyday? Of any day for that matter!

SamIam

imported_Totoland Mach
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Great write-up accumulator...couldn`t have done as good a job myself. My wife and I rescue pitbulls from bad situations and there is always that initial reaction "I was here first" for the existing house dogs. They do settle down after some time (and discipline). Eventually, they get along (we`ve had up to 3, but are down to 2..which is much more mangeable).

Way2sslow: they key to remember is you bought another dog into your existing dogs home territory...she still needs to think she is guardian of the house and the 2nd dog is "backup"

Good Luck and good patience

Totoland Mach

imported_hadboosttroy
12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
i fear for the day when i bring another dachshund home, my current dachs may never forgive me :)

JeffM
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
To re-assure her, and to let the new one know, that she is still the king of the household dogs, do everything for her first.

Things like:

Say hi to her first

Rub her head first

Give her a cookie first

Ect...

If you over do it on the new dog, and do "stuff" for her second, it will cause tension with her, she will be confused about her place in the pecking order.

autoweenie
12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Talking about dogs...

We are thinking about getting a dog as a family pet.

Do you guys know any good websites to do some reseach (akin to autopia for dog)?

Thanks!

Accumulator
12-04-2005, 02:11 PM
CarWeenie- Having a mutually satisfactory experience (i.e., for the people *and* the dog) is a lot more work than most people ever imagine.

IMO the single best thing research you can do is buy the books How To Be Your Dog`s Best Friend and The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete.

Be wary of internet-based dog info. Lots of armchair experts in cyberspace who don`t know [anything], but pontificate anyhow. And in my experience *VERY* few people, even so-called "experts", know what they`re talking about when it comes to dogs.

SamIam- Well, you don`t see Tervurens every day either ;)

Properly photographing active black dogs with a manual-everything camera is challenging for me. We have a few good pics that I`ll get a few digitalized sooner or later, my wife and I were just talking about it and wondering where certain negatives are.

TotoLand Mach- :bow to you and your wife for doing the pit rescue work :xyxthumbs

lagniappe
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Talking about dogs...

We are thinking about getting a dog as a family pet.

Do you guys know any good websites to do some reseach (akin to autopia for dog)?

Thanks!

Retrievers are the most popular breed for a reason-they are smart, lovable, energetic, easily trained dogs that are good around children. For this reason they are one of the few breeds that are used as thearapy dogs and guide assist dogs for the blind.

autoweenie
12-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Accumulator - Thanks. I will look up those books.

Lagniappe - My brother`s family has a retriever. Friendliest thing in the world... But I think it is a bit too large for us (I don`t relish picking up big poops).

At any rate, this looks like a perfect setup from my dear wife/kids.

A few years ago, they want some parrots. I tried to tell them how much work it would be.

No they cannot be dissuaded - they promised to clean up cages, etc. Guess what happens.

Same thing with our German car. I told my wife we should get a good o` reliable Toyota.

No, they think it would look cool to have a German car. Guess who is taking care of the car.

This is getting stale. :o)

paco
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Dog`s. We`ve been contemplating getting a 2nd pug now for a couple of years for our guy but have stayed away because having a 2nd dog is a HUGE commitment in both logistics/time and cost.

Personally, let the dogs settled it out and do not try and establish their pecking order. I wouldn`t treat the old guy and different then the new guy. They`ll figure it out amoung themselves. The depression thing isn`t uncommon and she`ll get used to the new family enviroment in time. The key thing is too socialize them together as much as possible. Treat the dogs the same way you would children.

Don`t show favoritism.

Don`t single out one more then the other.

Include both of them when going for walks or playing.

That`s my personal opinion.

Paco

paco
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
CarWeenie,

Thinking of getting a new pup eh. Here`s some advice:

1st. Get yourself a very thick book covering all the breeds.

2nd. Establish what your FAMILY are and are not looking for in a dog

Low Energy or High Energy

Small/Medium or Large Breed

Pure Breed/Mutt/Designer Mix

Grooming/No Grooming

Do you want to breed or not

Rescue or Puppy

Cost (How much are you willing to spend upfront?)

Maintenance (How much are you capable of spending monthly?)

3. Then pick something like 20 breeds and start the narrowing process based on the list above.

4. When you down to a 2 or 3, then look in the Dogs Annual for a local breeder and visit them to see the breeding stock and puppies and talk to them to get the absolute low down on the breed.

5. If you go the mutt route, make sure to buy from a loving family.

6. If you from a shelter, they`ll provide you with a tonne of information.

7. REMEMBER, there`s a big movement now with companion animals. They are one of the family and as such, you need to ensure you are ready for the life long commitment to them and treat them as a member of the family. Go to any store these days you find fancy dog bowls, treats, clothing (Gap now makes dog sweaters :-)). The days of keeping a dog chain linked to a fence are very quickly disappearing. You can go to jail if a neighbour complains and you found to be neglectful.

Note: Visit a lot of breeders and please and really consider long and hard before buying a dog from a pet store. If you do, research the store and their policy surrounding the dogs they sell and try and meet the breeder that is selling through the store.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A DOG FROM A PUPPY MILL! Do everything you can to educate and complete an informed purchase. Not all pet stores are the same. Make sure you know what you are buying.

By the way, PUGS ARE GREAT!

Paco

JeffM
12-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I have 2 chinese cresteds.

There are 2 flavors, hairless and ones with a coat.

They have a great personality, and dont shed.

My male will snuggle with me and fall asleep on the couch, while the female will fall asleep on my wifes blanket while she is watching tv.

My boy is 9 lbs, and the female is 8. Perfect size as they dont scratch the leather couch.