PDA

View Full Version : So I`m in AutoZone grabbing some Belt Dressing....

Pages : [1] 2

C. Charles Hahn
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
And I walked out with more than I bargained for :o

On an endcap, I spotted the Long Haul display. I`ve wanted to check this stuff out since hearing Scottwax`s success with it, and considering the price. So, to my pleasant suprise, they had an offer for a "Starter Kit" which had 4oz. versions of four products: Truck Wash, Truck Gloss, Tire Seal & Shine, and Truck Polish/Wax. And the price? $5! This will make for an interesting test, and even the full sizes of these are pretty cheap... so I see some potential here for customer-vehicle use. :chuckle:

http://www.hahn-on-the.net/pictures/PICT0092.JPG

Porkanbeans
11-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Good find! I couldn`t help but think of Auto Zone`s lame new jingle. "Nobody knows your car like you do, nobody KNOWS what it needs like we do... Auto Zone!" I love how many words they tried to cram into that melody, makes me laugh every time.

On a more serious note, congrats on the deal and let us know how you like it. :)

imported_truzoom
11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I`ve been tempted to grab that on many occasions, but something always holds me back.

I did grab a bottle of the truck wash on sale last week and tried it. Fair to say it did a good job, but was WAY too watery and smelled unpleasant and lacked serious suds.

BigAl3
11-30-2005, 09:03 PM
also... if you have a pepboys near you, look for the long haul display rack (didn`t have any on the shelves with the other chemicals :nixweiss) and they should have all the products on clearance, as i bought the truck polish/wax for $8.99! :getdown

MorBid
11-30-2005, 09:24 PM
hey man how did you come up with that nickname Shiny Lil Detlr. It`s pretty catchy.

Ohh I missed the post about this stuff, what`s the 411.

Scottwax
11-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I think you will find the Long Haul stuff among the better OTC product lines. The QD and wax are very closely related (the QD is exactly the same) as Race Glaze products. The owners of both companies used to be partners. One wanted to go in the retail direction, the other wanted to remain a boutique level distributor.

I e-mailed the company when I bought the QD on sale for $5 at Pep Boys when I noticed it smelled and looked exactly the same as the Race Glaze QD sample I had. The owner confirmed my suspicions the products were the same.

The Polish/Wax is a very good one step cleaner wax, the QD is pretty decent and the Degreaser is excellent.

imported_topnotch
11-30-2005, 09:39 PM
thanks Scott now I have to go buy the 1 step

MorBid
11-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks too Scott.

Since I have both Pep Boys and AutoZone by the house I`ll stop in and see if they carry it yet.

White95Max
11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Good find! I couldn`t help but think of Auto Zone`s lame new jingle. "Nobody knows your car like you do, nobody KNOWS what it needs like we do... Auto Zone!"

Nobody knows how to aggravate me like dumb marketing advisers that insist on having some stupid jingle for everything. :rolleyes:

I can`t wait for my XM radio... but I have to wait for ~4 more weeks. :(

C. Charles Hahn
11-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Nobody knows how to aggravate me like dumb marketing advisers that insist on having some stupid jingle for everything. :rolleyes:

You`ll love XM... except between thanksgiving and the new year, when half the channels become "christmas music only" stations temporarilly :nervous2:

Scott- It figures the degreaser is the one product that ISN`T in the kit I bought :LOLOL

White95Max
11-30-2005, 11:07 PM
You`ll love XM... except between thanksgiving and the new year, when half the channels become "christmas music only" stations temporarilly :nervous2:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :scared: :soscared:

I`ll still have a good 100 other channels to choose from though right? :)

Thomas Dekany
11-30-2005, 11:33 PM

You are not getting Sirius?

C. Charles Hahn
12-01-2005, 05:49 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :scared: :soscared:

I`ll still have a good 100 other channels to choose from though right? :)

Oh yeah, there are other channels to choose from. The 5-6 "main" channels I usually listen to don`t change, but it does decrease my choices elsewhere.

novadude
12-01-2005, 06:30 AM
I did one better. The local Autozone is having a clearance "blowout" to dump long haul products. I bought:

1 Large Polish/wax

1 Large Truck Gloss

1 Large Cleaner/Degreaser

1 "Sample Kit" as shown above

Total cost?? $4.00 plus tax! I could not pass up that deal after reading all the positive comments on here! :)

Check you local store... they may have clearance deals too.

Scottwax
12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Check you local store... they may have clearance deals too.

Definitely! I can stock up on the polish/wax and the degreaser for sure.

IMO, Long Haul blew it focusing on the truck market. I think in most people`s mind `heavy duty` does not convey beauty but utility. I have a feeling a lot of people who see the Long Haul line think to themselves "it may last but probably doesn`t look that great". It could also be that car owners think their paint is too delicate for something heavy duty.

If people actually tried the products, they`d probably be pretty happy with them. Well, maybe not the wash. Works pretty good but not very sudsy.

I have a feeling (based on the clearance sales) that Long Haul might not be around much longer unless they revamp their marketing strategy. The probably do well at truck stops but at the auto parts stores, it doesn`t seem so.

:nixweiss