PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of hairspray

Reflections1
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
How the heck do you get this stuff off??? I am working on a 96 nissan maxima that has never been cleaned inside with the exception of automatic car wash wipe downs and vaccuming. I threw everything I had at it. Its mostly on the driver headrest. I used HD interior shampoo from auto magic only diluted half of recommended, Dealers choice Multi purpose cleaner diluted 10-1 than 4-1 than 2-1 than right from the bottle, spot remover, then I got really ballsy and tried 3m adhesive remover in hopes to soften it for the APC to have half a chance. No good... nothing budged the stuff. I even tried an extactor that I had rented from Home depot for the house carpets one day. This is my girlfriends old car so its a test bed for detailing. this car is a wreck Lets pray she stays away from the hairspray in the 320. :furious:

mpmiller37
11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Can`t offer help on how to get that stuff off the interior, but I will say that the bathroom walls (where my wife hairsprays) are covered with fallout and that stuff does not come off unless you sand it smooth and then paint over it with a drywall sealer before putting on a new topcoat of paint. I don`t know what`s in that stuff but it is powerful :lol

imported_gusbubba
11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
...maybe try a steam cleaner ? :nixweiss

Setec Astronomy
11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Can`t offer help on how to get that stuff off the interior, but I will say that the bathroom walls (where my wife hairsprays) are covered with fallout and that stuff does not come off unless you sand it smooth and then paint over it with a drywall sealer before putting on a new topcoat of paint. I don`t know what`s in that stuff but it is powerful :lol

Perhaps this is the kernel of an idea for a new spray wax!! :rofl

imported_Totoland Mach
12-01-2005, 05:47 AM
most hairspray is laquer based. Try some laquer thinner or prepsol.

Totoland Mach

Big Leegr
12-01-2005, 07:46 AM
A high alcohol cleaner may also work.... Oh, wait, I remember somebody saying that shampoo works on hair spray. Rub some shampoo into the headrest and then extract it out. Haven`t tried it myself, but it makes sense, since washing your hair with shampoo gets rid of hair spray in your hair.

imported_dirtdiggler
12-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I used liquid glass prewax cleaner. i guess you can try any prewax otc cleaner. try it i a small area.

dirt diggler

kompressornsc
12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
On areas where you can, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will take it off. Probably wouldn`t work too well on fabric, but would on plastic / vinyl. When I bought my house, had to do the entire bathroom with one to remove the hairspray.