PDA

View Full Version : How do you buff? by Hand? by Machine?

Pages : [1] 2

97Boxsterian
11-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Do you polish by Hand or by Machine?

zippymbr
11-26-2005, 07:19 PM
anything but a light polish rotary, PC for light polishing and wax application. Honestly the PC gets less and less use the better I get with the rotary.

imported_truzoom
11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I can only imagine doing a hand polish if it`s something along the lines of a very mild polish. The PC is just so effective and a worthwhile investment if you`re into detailing.

Porkanbeans
11-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Are we talking removing product or actually applying and working it?

White95Max
11-26-2005, 08:48 PM
That`s true. My vote would change if that`s what you`re talking about. So many people refer to "buffing" as polishing, so I chose "by machine". I remove products by hand though.

Glossmaster
11-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Call me "old school", but to me.......there`s a difference between applying a product, product removal & buffing. Buffing takes place after the product is removed to enhance gloss/shine, reflectivity etc. So with that being said......I "buff" by hand.

With that being said.......Webster`s Dictionary defines "Buff" as........ "To clean or shine". ( So maybe my "old school" interpretation leaves a little to one`s imagination.

White95Max
11-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Certainly. I completely agree with your post.

I saw that the thread starter is new around here, and could be new to detailing. When someone in the general public says "That`ll buff right out" they aren`t talking about enhancing shine, they`re talking about removing a scratch, scuff, etc...

So that`s what I took his question to mean.

I apply LSPs by hand, and the rest by machine. To remove the excess product, I grab a MF towel and do it by hand. Everything after application is done by hand.

97Boxsterian
11-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Sorry about the confusion! I am new to detailing. I meant buffing as polishing. Thank you everyone for your responses.

imported_Reflections
11-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I put by hand, but I also meant buff as in to enhance gloss with a polishing/detailing mf after removing the LSP. Definately polish by machine.

imported_memnuts
11-27-2005, 03:32 AM
Polish with rotary.

Hi-lite with PC.

Apply and remove LSP by hand. :wavey

percynjpn
11-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I polish both by hand and by PC, depending on my mood and requirements.

I finish mostly by hand.

imported_Neothin
11-27-2005, 07:46 AM
I apply everything except for carnauba pastes by machine. I remove by hand with a MF.

milani
11-28-2005, 08:03 AM
I answered by hand, since I do most work by hand. But I will pull out the 7424 when needed...

Mark77
11-28-2005, 09:58 AM
I usually work by hand. I use the Cyclo only if I want to remove scratches or oxidation. I don`t think it`s that hard to work by hand, if the finnish is in good condition.

Accumulator
11-28-2005, 04:25 PM
From marring removal-type polishing with the rotary, to milder work and LSPs with the PC/Cyclo, to removing LSPs....I do everything I can by machine. About the only times I do anything by hand is when I apply KSG, UPP, and Souveran, which I can put on thinner and more uniformly by hand.

Well, I will do things by hand on the XJS from time to time, just to caress my old friend a bit :D