PDA

View Full Version : Boars hair brush vs. Megs mop

JeffM
11-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Anyone have any experience with the boars hair brush topoftheline sells?

Does it scratch?

Also i am looking at the Megs mop. Anyone like that?

What one would be less likely to scratch?

Scottwax
11-26-2005, 03:51 PM
The Meguiars Ultimate Mop is awesome. Real time saver on SUVs, trucks and large sedans. I`ve been using one for about 6 months now and haven`t noticed any scratching. You can also change out the mop head as needed.

Spilchy
11-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I have the Meguiar`s mitt with the same material as the mop like Scottwax uses. However, I have found that these fibers have a bit of a tough time releasing little particles of dirt. It does not "free rinse" as well as natural sheepskin when agitated in a bucket of clean water. The mitt / mop material does hold a tremendous amount of suds and water, more so than any other washing mitt I have ever used. I use mine to do bumpers, and lower body panels where I don`t want to get a good sheepskin dirty. I can see what a time saver it can be when used on that pole.

What would be awesome is if there was genuine sheepskin on that pole with the ability to swap out heads when needed!

Maybe Accumulator will jump in with his legendary boars hair brush stories on his Mazda MPV. He proudly proclaims he has yet to scratch the finish of his MPV with it. However, he uses an extreme washing method (lots of rinsing and foam gun action) that the late Mr. Miagi of Karate Kid fame would approve of. He uses the one from Griot`s, not TOL. In the meantime you can search for BHB.

JeffM
11-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the imput guys, im getting tired of hand washing my pickup lol.

DCT
11-27-2005, 06:34 AM
Anyone have any experience with the boars hair brush topoftheline sells?

Does it scratch?

Also i am looking at the Megs mop. Anyone like that?

What one would be less likely to scratch?

Well, if I were going to use any brush on paint, that would be the one. Then again, I won`t use a brush on paint. :D They don`t clean as well, and I just don`t trust them, except for a smaller boars hair brush that I use on wheels.

As for the Meguiar`s mop... no thanks. I just don`t trust synthetic mitts, for the same reasons that Spilchy described.

If you are looking for a safer alternative, check this item out at Top of the Line...

http://www.topoftheline.com/telwasglov.html

I have two of the wash gloves (with handles) and use them for cleaning the roofs of trucks and SUV`s. The mitt is made of pretty decent sheepskin (wish it was a lighter color). I think it is far superior to the Meguiar`s mop.

Pats300zx
11-27-2005, 07:52 AM
The Meguiars Ultimate Mop is awesome. Real time saver on SUVs, trucks and large sedans. I`ve been using one for about 6 months now and haven`t noticed any scratching. You can also change out the mop head as needed.

I`m with Scott on this. I have been using it on my F150 and my 4Runner. I love it. :xyxthumbs

JeffM
11-27-2005, 08:37 AM
That mitt does look pretty good, i wonder how i missed it...

How is the handle? Does it feel flimsy and bend when using it ?

And i wonder why there isnt a sheepskin mit head for the megs mop?

Scottwax
11-27-2005, 08:46 AM

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32

Ask for them to make one.

DCT
11-27-2005, 10:38 AM
That mitt does look pretty good, i wonder how i missed it...

How is the handle? Does it feel flimsy and bend when using it ?

The handle feels strudy to me.

I`ve said the same thing about the Meguiar`s mop, and mentioned to the folks at Meguiar`s that they should consider a sheepskin replacement. However, even with that, the mitt on the Wash Glove is a lot bigger than the one on the Meguiar`s mop. I would still use the Wash Glove, unless Meguiar`s makes a bigger/better mitt for their`s.

Accumulator
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe Accumulator will jump in with his legendary boars hair brush stories on his Mazda MPV. He proudly proclaims he has yet to scratch the finish of his MPV with it. However, he uses an extreme washing method (lots of rinsing and foam gun action) that the late Mr. Miagi of Karate Kid fame would approve of. He uses the one from Griot`s, not TOL. In the meantime you can search for BHB.

Yeah, *if* your paint is hard enough you can use a BHB without marring *IF* (really big "if") you use the foamgun and don`t just use the brush to rub the dirt into the paint. But then you can`t wash with *anything* and not mar it if you rub the dirt in ;)

Generally, IMO it`s not the wash mitt/brush/whatever that scratches, it`s the dirt that gets pressed against the paint. But yeah, some paints are just too soft for a BHB and yeah#2 synthetic materials can *really* scratch up paint.

But I dunno about any of these "easy solutions" :nixweiss The only way I can truly wash without marring is with the foamgun. If I put a wet mitt on the paint and move it, the way many people do when they wash, it mars the paint- maybe not badly, but it`s no longer perfect. I have to be *so* careful to wash without marring, and that`s on hard clear (like our Audis) and vehicles that don`t get all that dirty between washes.