PDA

View Full Version : Nightly Backups

AutopiaAdmin
02-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Those of you that remember the famous "button incident" will appreciate the fact that our new server does an automatic backup every night between 11:00PM and 2:00AM EST. A total of 5 backups are stored with the oldest backup being removed every night to make room for the 5 newest backups.

The backup will result in the site being down for 5-10 minutes each night while the databases are copied onto the server.

In February 2004 we lost over 1000 members and 5 months worth of posts due to upgarding to VB3, backing up and overriding VB2 backups and the downgrading back to VB2 because of the lack of support for VB3 at the time. Our VB3 based data backup would not restore into VB2 so we were forced to restore the forum with a backup from September, 2004. We were up to 1,800+ members and then all of the sudden we were back down to 800+ members.

What a nightmare. I was a rookie website owner and my webdesigner did not know that once VB3 info was backed up that we could not restore into VB2. We have learned alot since then and have made manual backups something that we did on a regular basis. These new automated nightly backups are really a step in the right direction for Detail City as continues to grow and be a successful automotive detailing forum.

Almost a year later, we are approaching the 4,000 member mark! How many members do you think Detail City will have by the end of 2005?

AS400
02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
You should try Veritas.

AutopiaAdmin
02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
You should try Veritas.

OK....

Why should I try it? What is it? What does it do? What advantage does it offer over my current way of doing things?

AS400
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I think its the best backup software, easy as pie, I use it every day..night.

http://www.veritas.com/

AutopiaAdmin
02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I think its the best backup software, easy as pie, I use it every day..night.

http://www.veritas.com/

OK, Like I asked previously, what advantage does it offer over my current way of doing things?

Right now we have an automatic backup every night at no extra charge to me. What can this do better?

AS400
02-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Site doesn`t have to go down.