PDA

View Full Version : PB Bold N` Bright vs. Zaino Z16 Tire Dressing

Bioman
11-23-2005, 11:15 AM
How do these two compare? Shine, durability, versatility?

stilez
11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Higher shine goes to BnB

Durability goes to Z16

Versatility goes to BnB

Z16 is the strongest water-based dressing out there, but has some catches to it. If you want me to bore you with some technical jargon, then let me know and I will :).

sbkang
11-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Higher shine goes to BnB

Durability goes to Z16

Versatility goes to BnB

Z16 is the strongest water-based dressing out there, but has some catches to it. If you want me to bore you with some technical jargon, then let me know and I will :).

Please bore us, and give any application tips as well. I have just started using Z16 and I love the look, but at the rate I`m going I`m afraid the bottle isn`t going to last long, unlike every other Zaino product. I have been using a terry washcloth folded in quarters for application.

Bioman
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
GSRstilez, yes please do.

stilez
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Ok, here is some information I`ve gathered from various sources...

Z16 is one of very few water-based tire dressings. Many others claim to be, but still have a certain level of silicone content in them. The silicone in the dressing is what actually makes it penetrate quickly into tires. For instance, why tire gels work so well.

Now, my understanding about Z16 is that since it contains no silicone, it doesn`t bond over tires that have used dressings with silicone in them, in the past. When using, say a tire gel, you apply it to the tire and wait an hour before driving. Say you took that tire off the wheel after that hour, you could actually feel the gel coming through the inside of the tire with a simple finger swipe...scary, right? This silicone content works by bonding and penetrating the carbon black in the tire. Now over time, even through rigorous washing methods, this carbon black still holds on to some silicone content.

Z16, as said before, doesn`t bond well to this. You will notice some splotchiness, uneven dressing patterns, or just overall non-compatibility. However, each tire is different and acts differently. Z16 works great on brand new tires or tires only using water based dressing (ie: 303, BnB, AA). Apply it with its own (delegate one to this) Eagle One Tire Swipe. Use only a little bit and apply it to the tire, wait 10, reapply, wait 10, and recheck. You should only need 1 or 2 applications of this for a nice sheen. If you have used a silicone based in the past, this is a heads up.

Z16 also works great as a protectant for rubber trim and interior pieces. It is truly a great product, but it is my understanding to either stick to water-based or silicone.

Miami_vice
11-23-2005, 02:11 PM
GOOD INFO. I usually use BnB on my tires most of the time. But during the rainy season i use Megauir`s (Enduracne hight gloss) which works good against the water. But i usually wash my tires on a weekly basis with Simple Green to prevent browning there shouldn`t be a problem this way.

Intercooled
11-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Very interesting about the silicone and water based dressings. I didn`t know that!!

I hvae used Z16 on my GN`s tires since new and they always look great. I must also say that the durability is awesome. But I dont drive that car in the rain or weather. But it does keeps its sheen for many weeks with out seeing water. Its very thin and goes on smooth. A little goes a long way. Z16 doesn`t sling at all either which is something that I love about it. I can apply and just about immediatly drive! :xyxthumbs

wannafbody
11-23-2005, 07:41 PM
I was sent some of the Topicare non silicone dressing last year to evaluate-the first thing I found was that it only worked on tires that I hadn`t ever dressed- it would not work over any silicone containing tire product. Topicare also offers a silicone cleaner. I found the NSTD to work great on hard cowl plastic and it lasted for months. I`m not sure if chemcial guys offers an equivalent product or not. Either the Z16 or the Topicare will fill your needs.

kustomsol
11-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I gave up on applying Z-16 with any sort of applicator and use a pump bottle with a very fine spray. It looks much more even than when applied with an applicator, and I think it is more efficient. And the appearance lasts just as long.

imported_memnuts
11-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Z16 + tire swipe x 2 = excellent gloss and protection (UV).

Gloss can be titrated to desired level (matte - too boy-raced glossy)

Never slings when applied with tire swipe.

Does not mute out the tire sidewall design or create a "build-up" of product.

Does not attract dust or adhere road dirt (this does not include a drive down a dirt or gravel road :eek: ).

Z16 "does" penetrate the rubber and leeches out to maintain appearance.

Easily washes off with just normal vehicle shampoo.

Never browns. :woot:

Dries to touch after about 20 minutes

A little Z16 goods a long way when used 2 -3 times weekly with tire swipe and small spray bottle. A bottle last me about 3 months with this schedule and protocol for an SUV and sports car (your performance many vary :) )

Z16 has many other uses besides tire dressing: Engine dressing, trim dressing, wheel wells, etc.

As mentioned eariler, tire must be cleaned very well for maximal performance. For tires that have been exposed to numerous silicone based tire dressing, this may take multiple cleanings to "leech out" all the silicone. This silicone leeching initially will shorten the durability of Z16 because Z16 is also displaced by the leeching of the silicone. After the majority of silicone is displaced the Z16 will give you weeks of non-rain storm exposed tire shine.

There are many excellent tire shines both online and OTC and after trying many over decades I have limited my choices to Z16 for now.

DCT
11-24-2005, 06:12 AM
PB`s B&B is a decent dressing, especially when used on RWL tires, as the B&B seems to have some cleaning ability that keeps the RWL nice and white as it is being applied. If you keep your tires fairly well maintained, you can use a 50/50 mix of B&B and water to clean them, and then apply a very light coat of the B&B to get them looking nice again.

The Z16 is a very nice low-matte finish dressing that is very durable for a water-based, liquid dressing. For the longest time, it was my favorite dressing... until Mothers` came out with their new Reflections Tire Care and FX Tire Shine.

s2skimon
11-24-2005, 06:39 AM
i use the BnB, but hear stoner`s is better ? dunno

imported_Amused
11-24-2005, 01:08 PM
what about Opt Tire Shine? i don`t usually dress my tires, but this is what i have on hand for it. it`s said to be water based and uses methicones rather than silicone...i`m unsure of the technical differences between the 2, but do any of you have an idea how Tire Shine compares to Z16 and BnB?