PDA

View Full Version : industrial fallout

III
11-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I`m not new to the term, but I`m a bit confused about how it`s used. I`ve read that paint contamination can consist of rail/brake dust and industrial fallout, but isn`t brake/rail dust considered IFO? When somone says IFO are they talking mainly about pollution from factories or acid rain?

Thomas Dekany
11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination-Q&A.htm

White95Max
11-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Industrial fallout to me suggests that it originates from industrial pollution, and falls out of the sky. The pollution that comes from the exhaust of factories is lifted out with an updraft, and once it escapes that updraft, it begins to fall to the ground in the surrounding areas. Any bit of wind would be able to move these very fine particles a substantial distance.

The Lake Michigan carferry was a prime example. When I used to work at the Manitowoc Marina, I would see the carferry come in every day at 10:00, and sit there until 2:00, with its coal-fired engine running the entire time. The black smoke coming from the exhaust travelled for miles over the city, right toward my house. I`m convinced that all the black dust that I would find on the Maxima was coming from the carferry`s engine exhaust.

III
11-19-2005, 07:08 PM
http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination-Q&A.htm

I appreciate the link, however I`m still a bit confused.

It said paint contamination can take on many forms such as rail or brake dust. It said other forms are IFO, acid rain, and tree sap, etc, etc... So, to me I`m reading this as IFO is different from rail or brake dust.

It then said manufacturing plants, foundries, fabrication plants, jet engines, train wheels and brake dust are amoung the culprits which create the chemical compounds that are constantly being generated in the atmosphere resulting in IFO. In this paragraph they seem to say that IFO is the same as rail or brake dust, which is just the opposite in the above paragraph.