PDA

View Full Version : Which PC Kit?

adept
11-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, so if you`ve read my other thread, you know I`m looking to revamp my products and equipment. I`ve gone and got #83 and #80 at the Meguiar`s HQ. Now I`m looking to get a porter cable and pads. These two kits have the same price, but different pads and stuff.

Top of the Line:

http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/porcabpolpac.html

Autogeek:

http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

The top of the line one includes bonnets for removing wax and polish. So it makes me want that one. But Autogeek has more pads and more indepth descriptions. I dont know. You decide.

White95Max
11-19-2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.autopia-carcare.com also has PC kits I think.

I would just go to Lowe`s to buy the PC (might still be on sale for $69.99) and then get a set of pads from http://www.exceldetail.com Excel is right in your area, so you`d have everything in one day.

adept
11-19-2005, 11:33 AM
actually excel is about a 1.5 hour away.

White95Max
11-19-2005, 11:37 AM
yes, but that means they would get to you in one day.

Glossmaster
11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a similar thread posted as well. I too, am looking for a PC Kit & haven`t decided which one to buy.

imported_Neothin
11-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Lake Country pads, Propel pads, the Autopia car care pads, meguiar`s pads, all of these are good quality products. Your not going to be disappointed with any of them. I personally use lake country, but when they start to die ill be purchasing propel pads from excel. Not that the LC pads are bad, but the propels are cheap and people rave about holding up to anything. I`m giving in to the hyping :D

White95Max
11-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I`m giving in to the hyping :D

Good choice. :)

Accumulator
11-19-2005, 05:35 PM
adept & BlkTac05- While I`d like to send some business Irene`s way at TOL, I just don`t see either of those kits as being optimal.

The problem with PC kits is that they always seem to include a lot of things (large pads, terry bonnets, wool pads) that I don`t have any use for. In this case (IMO) the big :nono is too-large pads.

7.5" pads are way too big for effective use with the PC. With any significant applied pressure it just "jiggles" instead of doing a true dual action motion. The AutoGeek kit has the right idea, with 6.5" pads being the largest ones, but in that case I`d *MUCH* rather have a 4" pad setup for major correction- the 5.5" ones aren`t small enough. There`s not that much difference between them and the 6.5" pads, I don`t really notice any functional difference at all.

So I`d make up my own kit with two backing plates, one for 6.5" pads and one for 4" pads. Then I`d get plenty of light cut/polish/finish pads in those two sizes. But I`d expect to do more correction with the 4" pads than with the 6.5" ones.

I`d like to send business Patrick`s way too, so see what you can put together at Excel :D

Glossmaster
11-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Accumulator:

Thanks for your input. It`s much appreciated!

Glossmaster
11-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Just an update. I couldn`t resist the 20% holiday discount at Autopia so I just went ahead an ordered the SFX Polisher Kit!! I`m pretty pumped up about it!! When the new Propel pads become available, I`ll be grabbing some of those bad boys as well!! WOOOOOOO-WHOOOOOOOOO!!!

cwcad
11-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Lake Country pads, Propel pads, the Autopia car care pads, meguiar`s pads, all of these are good quality products. Your not going to be disappointed with any of them. I personally use lake country, but when they start to die ill be purchasing propel pads from excel. Not that the LC pads are bad, but the propels are cheap and people rave about holding up to anything. I`m giving in to the hyping :D

I am glad that i am not the only one. Have an order for the new pads already placed with Excel along with some other items that I really did not need but wanted.

Glossmaster
11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
The new propel pads are available??????? Looks like I`ll be adding to the $350.00 I`ve already spent this week on detailing supplies.

imported_Neothin
11-24-2005, 08:22 PM
no they`re not. it`s just a pre-order kinda deal right now. when they do come out though, it`s only going to be blue and green pads. yellow and orange will come out at a later date. Or so it says on excel`s site.