PDA

View Full Version : Zaino PC: Did I do it right?

66#1
11-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Today I had the opportunity to use the Zaino Fusion that I bought a while back. The car is a `95 Firebird Formula that I bought new with 56k miles on it. It`s always sat out of the weather, and had regular cleanings. I`ve been a Zaino user for 3 years now. The car has never been machine polished. I was rushed for time due to the cold and shorter daylight hours, so I decided to skip the claying process. I washed with Z7 and then proceeded to the Fusion.

I used my Porter Cable 7336 with a Sonus green pad. I spritzed the pad pretty good with Z6 spray, and I started on the hood. I started on about 2 or 3, then I went up to between 5 and 6. I used the PC pretty sparingly as well.

The thing is, the paint never got "clear" while buffing, but I did start to get a little dusting. When I saw dust flakes, I stopped and buffed with a microfiber towel. I made several passes over each panel of the car.

When I was done, the paint was extremely shiney and smooth and SLICK!! I could see more "clarity" in the refelections, and perhaps a little more depth. However, it did NOTHING for the swirl marks in my paint. I did two coats of ZFX/Z2 Pro with Z6 in between coats topped off with Z8. Boy, does my car look good.

I was a disappointed in the lack of swirl removal. But, Did I do it right? Help me out here.

fastfred
11-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Today I had the opportunity to use the Zaino Fusion that I bought a while back. The car is a `95 Firebird Formula that I bought new with 56k miles on it. It`s always sat out of the weather, and had regular cleanings. I`ve been a Zaino user for 3 years now. The car has never been machine polished. I was rushed for time due to the cold and shorter daylight hours, so I decided to skip the claying process. I washed with Z7 and then proceeded to the Fusion.

I used my Porter Cable 7336 with a Sonus green pad. I spritzed the pad pretty good with Z6 spray, and I started on the hood. I started on about 2 or 3, then I went up to between 5 and 6. I used the PC pretty sparingly as well.

The thing is, the paint never got "clear" while buffing, but I did start to get a little dusting. When I saw dust flakes, I stopped and buffed with a microfiber towel. I made several passes over each panel of the car.

When I was done, the paint was extremely shiney and smooth and SLICK!! I could see more "clarity" in the refelections, and perhaps a little more depth. However, it did NOTHING for the swirl marks in my paint. I did two coats of ZFX/Z2 Pro with Z6 in between coats topped off with Z8. Boy, does my car look good.

I was a disappointed in the lack of swirl removal. But, Did I do it right? Help me out here.

You should have clay bared it first as per Sal @ Zaino.

I have used the Fusion after I have clay bared and it took away the light swirl marks.

Fred

imported_memnuts
11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes. Z-PC with a PC will only remove very minor swirls. For deeper swirls a more aggressive polish (i.e Menzerna IP) is normally necessary by PC prior to Z-PC. Another alternative is to use Z-PC with a rotary. Rotary and Z-PC will eliminate most swirls.

I am not familiar with Sonus pads. Is the green pad a polishing pad? If so, a "cutting" pad with Z-PC will also eliminate a wide variety of surface blemishing. Follow with a polishing pad to hi-lite the depth and gloss.

ZaneO
11-18-2005, 05:02 PM
If it wasn`t removing the swirls to your satisfaction, you should have moved up to a light cutting pad. Always check your progress before moving on to the next step.

Each polish and pad combination will differ from car to car and the severity of swrils. GM has some relatively hard paint and correction is usually a little more difficult.

JeffM
11-19-2005, 05:03 AM
No need to use soo much QD either.

66#1
11-19-2005, 11:44 AM
You should have clay bared it first as per Sal @ Zaino.

I have used the Fusion after I have clay bared and it took away the light swirl marks.

Fred

I should`ve clayed but I didn`t have time. I was almost finishing up by the streetlight as it was. :)

Yes. Z-PC with a PC will only remove very minor swirls. For deeper swirls a more aggressive polish (i.e Menzerna IP) is normally necessary by PC prior to Z-PC. Another alternative is to use Z-PC with a rotary. Rotary and Z-PC will eliminate most swirls.

I am not familiar with Sonus pads. Is the green pad a polishing pad? If so, a "cutting" pad with Z-PC will also eliminate a wide variety of surface blemishing. Follow with a polishing pad to hi-lite the depth and gloss

The Sonus green pad is a polishing pad. I got out my Menzerna IP and used my Orange cutting pad on a small section to see if it helped. It helped somewhat, but even that didn`t remove all the small scratches and swirls. I went back over that section with the Fusion and the green pad also. I don`t have a rotary and I would be scared to death using one!!

If it wasn`t removing the swirls to your satisfaction, you should have moved up to a light cutting pad. Always check your progress before moving on to the next step.

I guess I should`ve tried the Orange pad with the PC.

Did it sound to you guys like the Zaino "broke down" to you guys? I still wonder if I worked it long enough.

JeffM
11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
If you use to much QD you will have to work the polish for a long long time.

The green pad is pretty soft, and i dont get much paint correction with it at all.

I would use the orange pad, no qd, and buff until the product is just about gone.

After the pad is wet you only need about a nickle sized drop of polish.

If you get alot of dusting your are using too much.