PDA

View Full Version : Using different grades of polish?

jlineman
11-17-2005, 05:28 AM
I recently detailed my truck. I used Mothers Power Polish with a yellow pad and after removing the residue went back over with the same polish and a finishing pad. I`m generally pleased with the results but am wondering if I could have gotten a better final finish if I would have used a milder polish on the second pass, such as Sonos FX3 or the like. I see where others are using different grades of polish berore they use their LSP. Also if I were to try, for instance Sonus, which two would be better for a paint that is in pretty good shape with very few if any swirls?

Appreciate any advise.

s2skimon
11-17-2005, 06:05 AM
regardless of what polish or smr, i always try to start with the least aggressive first, in combination with the pad .. after a few passes if i don`t see any improvement, then go more aggressive.

no need to speculate, experiment ? heck i always do :-)

imported_Neothin
11-17-2005, 06:34 AM
I would think that if your paint is in swirl free to nearly swirl free condition, you would want to get the two lower agressiveness polishes. But keep in mind that the whole idea behind this is that your trying not to constantly polish the paint. Instead, your trying to go for as long as you can before you have to polish. This will help save the limited supply of clearcoat that you have on the car. I know a daily driven car is next to impossible to keep swirl free, but a proper wash technique will significantly lower the risk of getting an overabundance of them.

Accumulator
11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
In most cases I quit polishing after the product that leaves a (truly) ready-to-wax finish. E.g., while I have milder products than #80, I seldom use something milder *after* #80 because it breaks down to basically nonabrasive. But "ready-to-wax" means different things to different people- I don`t consider the finish from 1Z PP to be ready-to-wax but others do.

And on some cars like the S8 I do use many different grades of polish. Do I see a difference? Yeah, but I dunno if anybody else would.

Maybe try inspecting the finish with magnification, see if there`s something that needs corrected that you can`t see with the naked eye. If that sounds nuts, then just apply the LSP and don`t worry about it.