PDA

View Full Version : Need All Season Tires

twopu
11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I`m looking to replace my 215/50/15 tires. I`ve tried Continental Contextreme (Great tire) and Yokohama Avid(Poor tire). I was probably going to go back to the Continentals, but read really good review on Avon Tech M550. One of the tire shops around me can`t stop talking about the Falkens, but tirerack doesn`t sell them so I can`t find review. Can you guys recommend a good all-season tire that can perform in all conditions especially in the rain and snow? I know they are performance tires, but the Continentals were GREAT in the snow and they lasted a long time.

Oh one of my rims is slightly bent, should I be concerned? I`ve checked the psi and it hasn`t gone down in months.

White95Max
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
If your bent rim isn`t causing any unusual tire wear or vibration, it probably isn`t bent enough to be a problem.

It doesn`t answer your question, but you need snow tires. Take my word for it. I just went through my first snowstorm yesterday and today, and the difference between snows and all-seasons is incredible. The extra $280 for a set of snows is a very small price compared to my insurance deductible, and the peace of mind they offer in winter is priceless.

I`ve had several sets of all-season tires on my cars, and I`m never going back. The future is filled with 2 sets of tires for every vehicle I own.

drewski59
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
The Avons are very decent tires.

I don`t know much about Falkens or Continentals.

I just replaced my tires with Yokohama AVID TRZs. Look them up on Tirerack, very good snow and water ratings, and I must agree with the reviews. They are affordable, have excellent treadwear, and are excellent in the rain. I have yet to try them in the snow however...

Just my $.02:)

Kanchou
11-16-2005, 06:47 PM
highly recommmend Kumho ASX series tires. Love them on my WRX

also, most tire places have machines that can check if a damaged rim is still in tolerance range or if its unsafe/damaging...

twopu
11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
I would like to have a set of snow tires, but it won`t fit in the budget. Fortunately I only work 1 mile away from home and my wife has an SUV so if we need to go any where we can just use her truck. The Yoko`s are ok I just think they pail in comparison to the Conti`s in rain, snow, and tread life. My first experience with Yoko`s in light snow was SCAREY!!! I know it`s hard to believe, but I felt as if I had more control of my car in the Conti`s in snow than I did in my wife`s SUV. I`ll probably stick with the Conti`s, but I would like to hear more about the Avon and Falken. They seem to be getting really good reviews.

White95Max
11-16-2005, 06:54 PM
I would like to have a set of snow tires, but it won`t fit in the budget.

Does a new bumper, hood, and fender fit in the budget? :)

I know it`s hard to believe, but I felt as if I had more control of my car in the Conti`s in snow than I did in my wife`s SUV.

After driving home today, I know that`s totally possible. There were trucks and SUVs fishtailing all the time, and I just maintained my intended path.

imported_reeeko99
11-16-2005, 07:12 PM
I`m on a 3rd set of Cooper SLE`s.

I had a set on two previous cars and just replaced the Michelin`s ( 70k ) on the 2002 Grand Caravan last month. 215/65/16 70k rating. $90 per tire mounted, balance and disposal of old tires.

I could have ordered from Tires.com or Tire Rack and play shipping.

Then take them to get mounted and pay an additional 10-15 per tire.

But why hassle when I got the above mentioned deal and was in and out in 15 minutes and they`ll take care of my down the road if a problem arises.

I hate waiting to have tires mounted. Some of those tire places are just plain slow and do a horrible job for something that should be simple. Waiting in line while the guy behind the counter quotes tires all day long on the phone to NO Shows while you wait to pay when your car is finally finished.

The Dealer in my town does fast work.

On all three vehicles they have averaged 15 minutes per car to mount and balance those tires.

They throw 6-8 guys on the car and get you in and out fast on Saturday mornings if your there when they open. slam dunk to me.

I`ve been completely happy with the Cooper SLE`s, Very good ratings. excellent traction in the snow and ice here in Iowa.

Very good ride and stable.

The ride is much quiter and precise on the Caravan now then the Michelin`s ever were.

The in laws have or have gone through 4-5 sets of Cooper Lifeliner`s 60k rating and were very happy with them also, except some occasional wondering on bad roads.

Hope that helps...

Accumulator
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
twopu- Since you know you like the Contis, I`d stick with them. I had a few vehicles that really liked certain models of Continentals too. Some tires just plain *work* on some vehicles and it sounds like you already know what the right setup for your car is. Why mess with a known winner :nixweiss

Get that rim checked out by somebody you can trust so you don`t mess up the new tires. I`d probably look around for a decent used one.

JaCkaL829
11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I`m looking to replace my 215/50/15 tires. I`ve tried Continental Contextreme (Great tire) and Yokohama Avid(Poor tire). I was probably going to go back to the Continentals, but read really good review on Avon Tech M550. One of the tire shops around me can`t stop talking about the Falkens, but tirerack doesn`t sell them so I can`t find review. Can you guys recommend a good all-season tire that can perform in all conditions especially in the rain and snow? I know they are performance tires, but the Continentals were GREAT in the snow and they lasted a long time.

What kind of Avid`s did you have? Also what kind of car do you drive? I`ve read nothing but great things about the Avid V4s on tirerack and other sites. It also has the highest scores in all the categories according to tirerack when I compared them to Contiextreme, Ecsta ASX, Traction, etc. I`ve actually read the reverse about Contiextreme; noisy, fast wear, not as good grip. So i`m really curious on your experience. :nixweiss

I`ve heard really good things about Falkens performance, but I believe they don`t have a very lifespan. I`d have to agree with Accumulator, if you we`re really pleased with the Contiextreme, why bother looking at others? :think:

kustomsol
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
They`re expensive, but we run Michelin A/S Pilot Sport and have been very pleased with service, milage, and traction in wet weather.We`re on our 4th set on 2 cars. If your budget permits, check them out.

Spilchy
11-17-2005, 02:02 PM
They`re expensive, but we run Michelin A/S Pilot Sport and have been very pleased with service, milage, and traction in wet weather.We`re on our 4th set on 2 cars. If your budget permits, check them out.

Those came STOCK on my 2001 Jetta VR6 with the sports suspension 17" wheel package.

I said my prayers hoping I wouldn`t have to replace one!

Easily the best tire I`ve ever rode on.

twopu
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I got the Yoko Avid V4S. Believe me when I say I do a TON of research before I buy anything. I bought the Yoko`s because of the great reviews, but after the first light snow I was all over the place. The Conti`s felt like I was driving in a truck. I was just going to go back to the Conti`s but I`ve notice there are a lot more good-poor reviews for it. I have also read really good reviews about the Avon but I know little about them and don`t want to make the mistake I did with the Yokos. I`ll probably just stick with the Conti`s but like I said I like to research first before buying. Thanks for all your help guys.

JaCkaL829
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I got the Yoko Avid V4S. Believe me when I say I do a TON of research before I buy anything. I bought the Yoko`s because of the great reviews, but after the first light snow I was all over the place. The Conti`s felt like I was driving in a truck. I was just going to go back to the Conti`s but I`ve notice there are a lot more good-poor reviews for it. I have also read really good reviews about the Avon but I know little about them and don`t want to make the mistake I did with the Yokos. I`ll probably just stick with the Conti`s but like I said I like to research first before buying. Thanks for all your help guys.

Wow, thats crazy, I guess those reviews can be a little off or subjective :eek:

Not that I need new tires, mine we`re new when I bought my car; I was looking into getting new ones because i`m not that thrilled with them. I`ll definately take another look at the Contis now.

Aside from the snow, can you compare the Avids and Contis?

twopu
11-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Well I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe V6 with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Tokico Adjustable shocks so a soft ride on any tire is not happening. The roads in South Jersey suck so it`s a pretty rough ride, but when you hit the on/off ramps or circles it makes it all worth it. Unfortunately, they are doing away with the last circle in my area. With that said noise and road comfort are hard for me to judge. In dry conditions the tires are about the same, but where they differ is in poor weather and treadlife. The Conti`s have been great for me in snow and last a long time. The Yoko`s constantly spin on wet pavement. I`ve had the Yoko`s for about 9 months and I`ll be lucky to get 2 years out of them. The Conti`s lasted me easily over 4 years, keep in mind I`m a "Spirited" driver. Hope this helps.

They don`t make the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the size I need, but I`ve read the positive review on the Michelin Pilot Exalto. They are definitely worth checking.