PDA

View Full Version : A Question Regarding Engine Detail...

imported_gusbubba
11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Some months ago I did an engine detail on an Olds Alero.

The usual process : cover all sensitive areas , spray loose dirt with light water pressure , degrease , agitate , rinse (light pressure) , blow excess water from engine with air and run engine to dry, dress-----no problem.

Well , about two weeks later , upon returning from a trip , his car won`t start in the airport parking lot. He takes it to a mechanic , the mechanic says his electrical system is shot !

Could there be a connection between the detail and the elec. problems after two weeks or is it just coincidence ?

TIA......

MichaelM
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I would think after two weeks, especially if the car was driven at all afterwards, that this is just a coincidence. But it also depends on what is broken, I highly doubt the whole system is shot.

Prime example why I do not do engines for 90% of my customers.

joerockt
11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Brings up a good point though. Would it be prudent to have a customer sign a waiver if they want you to detail the engine to release you of liability down the road like in this case?

imported_gusbubba
11-16-2005, 02:14 PM
The waiver thing is something I`m drifting toward.

Shame , too , because I like detailing engines and it`s a good selling point , but most often the risk just isn`t worth it.

Thanks for the replies , gentlemen.