PDA

View Full Version : How long do pads last?

Pages : [1] 2

TFin04
11-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Well I`m looking at buying my first set of pads for the PC 7336 I just bought, and I`m wondering the difference between the brands. I plan on shopping at Autogeek.net, so please recommend something they carry and something that fits my PC. So far they carry pads that range anywhere from $5 a piece to $17 a piece. Are the expensive ones really worth it?

Also, how long should I expect these pads to last? What is a good way to clean them well to get the most life out of them?

Thanks.

TFin04
11-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Anyone?

Thanks.

White95Max
11-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Wasn`t there a thread with this same title about a week ago?

My Propel pads are still going strong after over a year. They`re under 8 bucks each. Are the $15 ones worth it? I say no, because my ~$8.00 ones are working great. :nixweiss

When you`re done using them, put them in a bucket of water until you`re ready to clean them. Then wash them in warm water with some Dawn, APC, or pad cleaning detergent. Squeeze the water out, and let them air dry.

rollman
11-18-2005, 03:15 PM
The life of pads depends on how much your use , and how you use them . If your only doing light detailing on one or two vechiles a few times a year , then pads will last a long time . If your detailing for a living then look to get 10-18 average cars out of them .

Read my sig line when it comes to buying things .

imported_Reflections
11-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I needed my finishing pad for two different products today, so after using the first I washed it, then squeezed it out, then dried it as best I could with a towel. I then threw it back on my PC, turned it on, and of course it threw water everywhere. "Good idea" I thought to myself, so I jacked it up to 6 and let it spray the water out for about 10 seconds. It was good to go afterwards. Is there any reason why I shouldn`t dry it like this? The velcro works fine when damp.

White95Max
11-19-2005, 11:25 AM
If I need to clean a pad halfway through the detail, I`ll do the same thing. I squeeze out most of the water, then hold it vertical for ~20 seconds, and swing it toward the ground. Most of the water will fly out toward the ground. After that, I put it on the PC, move away from the car, and turn in speed 3 to spin the rest of the water out. I`ve never had any problems with drying them this way.

You can also sandwich the pad between two MFs, and press down on the top one. This will get most of the water out also.

imported_Neothin
11-19-2005, 12:44 PM
question: will the usage of APC in the cleaning solution that you soak pads in hurt the glue that holds on the velcro? I haven`t had any problems with velcro separation on my LC pads yet but I do use a splash of APC in the bucket of water everytime that I clean them (and I have to clean some of my pads once a week).

White95Max
11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Neothin - I can`t answer that as of yet, but I tell you what. I`ve got a Meg`s 8006 pad that`s given me problems every time I`ve used it (plus it`s retaining dried polish no matter I do).

So when I get home today, I`ll throw that pad in a bucket of APC and water for the remainder of the weekend. If APC affects the adhesive, it should show some signs of it after being soaked in APC/water for ~30 hours.

imported_Neothin
11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Alrighty, sounds like a good experiment. Ill be waiting for the results.

White95Max
11-19-2005, 02:30 PM
That pad always p**ses me off, so now I can take my revenge!

rollman
11-19-2005, 04:02 PM
question: will the usage of APC in the cleaning solution that you soak pads in hurt the glue that holds on the velcro? I haven`t had any problems with velcro separation on my LC pads yet but I do use a splash of APC in the bucket of water everytime that I clean them (and I have to clean some of my pads once a week).

I can tell you Edge pads recommends to clean their pads with dish soap only . I think its better to be safe and use this advice for all your pads . :buffing:

A good tip is to get in the habit of washing your pads after every use then you won`t need APC to get them clean .

White95Max
11-19-2005, 07:40 PM
The pad has been soaking in APC/water ~10:1 for about 3.5hrs now...

White95Max
11-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Neothin - my conclusion is that APC (at least the one I used - Meg`s Detailer APC) has no adverse effects on pad adhesive. The pad sat in a bucket of warm water and APC for over 24hrs. I just removed it, rinsed it out, and press-dried it about 15 minutes ago. The adhesive is still on there very tightly. I couldn`t even get a fingernail under the velcro backing.

So don`t worry about cleaning your pads with APC. It shouldn`t affect the backing adhesive.

imported_Neothin
11-20-2005, 07:14 PM
good to know! Hopefully that pad won`t be giving you any more issues now :clap:

White95Max
11-20-2005, 08:38 PM
It didn`t get any cleaner. There are still a ton of little specks that are stuck within the cells of the foam. I don`t know how to get those out of there. Not that it matters that much. I like my Propels better anyway, and I see some Propel2s in my future... :)