PDA

View Full Version : When Is It To Cold?

04 Hemi
11-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I want to give my truck a full detail, since i am getting a PC in Nov., but i am not going to be able to use it until my Christmas break since all of my products are at home. So i am wondering what is the coldest temp. I can use #80 AIO SG and some wax.

PS: Has anyone had a bad experience detailing in cold weather, by the way i am in South Texas so early winter should to be to cold.

White95Max
11-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Well I waxed my car with #16 on Sunday night, and let it set up for 14 hours before buffing the excess the next day. It got down to 36*F overnight. I had no problems whatsoever buffing it off.

I`d avoid waxing a car when the surface is below 32*F. Otherwise, wax all you want. I`ve never experienced any adverse effects when waxing in cold weather.

Scottwax
11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I detail all the time in low 30 degree weather. I hate it, but I do it to put food on the table. ;)

Glossmaster
11-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I have yet to detail in weather below 50 degrees.

imported_Neothin
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I have yet to detail in weather below 50 degrees.

I`m with you. Then again, this is my first winter as an autopian and now i actually care about how my car looks. But hey, I`m not expecting it to get too cold here... i mean really, its florida :rolleyes:

Intercooled
11-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I usually dont do anything including washing unless its in the high 30`s.

MorBid
11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
I think alot of it will depend on a couple of factors like

- the products your using (will you be outside of the temperature range reccommended for application)

- what do you consider cold and how much do you like working outside in it.

My new neighbor is from Texas (his employer transferred him and his wife up here to work).

All of these town homes are the same so one night about a week ago they asked me to look at the thermostat cuz it was cold out and the heat wasn`t coming on. Cold out it was 50 degrees and I was outside on the deck bar-b-q`ing.

I say if it`s above freezing go for it.

Mikeman
11-14-2005, 08:54 PM
It`s too cold when my clay lube freezes on the vehicle while I`m claying. :D That happened to me last winter.

Seriously though, I can`t work below 34 degrees even if there is no wind. The more wind there is, the higher my minimum operating temperature. I`m not worried about product behaviour and characteristics in colder weather. I`m worried about freezing my *ss off!

04 Hemi
11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for replys, and thats good news becasue i thought i would have to wait until the end of winter to get my truck polished with my new PC. :clap: :buffing: :buffing:

psl car wash
11-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I detail all the time in low 30 degree weather. I hate it, but I do it to put food on the table. ;)

im with scott with this one too......we also like to eat lol.........29 and under we dont work.

stilez
11-19-2005, 02:00 PM
As long as there is some sun, you can go deep into the 20`s. For once, WORK IN THE SUN :).

No sun, no colder than 32 as everything will freeze on the surface. I`d say you still have at least a week left.

Wasatch
11-19-2005, 03:26 PM
For me about 42-43 is the limit, especially if I have to wash. LOL

lbls1
11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
My wax and detailing season (NYC) begins in April and ends usually in November. In general, whenever the temperature dips below 50 degrees, then its a safe bet to call your wax season done. Look for sporadic days where the temperature will be above 50 degrees. I had a couple of days like that in december last year, where I sneaked in a quick wax on the daily driver.

Now if you own or have access to a heated garage, then you can detail almost anytime you like, given time and space constraints (the joys of having a garage!).

psl car wash
11-19-2005, 07:06 PM
For me about 42-43 is the limit, especially if I have to wash. LOL

i got a tap on my hot water heater that i fill my wash buckets and a 100 GAL. water tank with so that also makes it easier

66#1
11-20-2005, 12:19 AM
I can take the cold down to about 45 if the sun is out and there`s no wind!