PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Acura NSX Clean Up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

mgm2003
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
1991 NSX with 85K on the clock.

I detailed this car over the summer after 15 years of neglect. This time it was much easier (7 hours vs. an entire day the first time around). The owner put on 5K or so over the summer and it was time to freshen up this beast. Over the winter he’s installing a chip, performance exhaust, and putting on some new rubber. He wants to keep up with the new Vette’s.

Process Used…..

Wash: Pretreated with Optimum QEW, and washed with Optimum Car Wash

The rims & wells and jams were cleaned with Optimum APC, and dressed with BnB. All outside trim was treated with TR. The jam seals got Poorboys leather cleaner and conditioner. The exhaust got SSR2.5 on the pipes, and TR on the housing. The jams were protected with OCW and #425.

The paint was polished with the Metabo and Optimum Polish 1400 RPM with an orange pad on a few areas, and a polishing pad on the rest.

I glazed/sealed with Finish Kare #FX-185, and primed the pad with FX-100 spray (lightly misted) using a polishing pad @ 1700 RPM. I topped it with Poorboys QD+ (now called QW+) on a finishing pad @ 700 RPM. I mixed about an ounce of S&G with 10oz of QW+ (only used 1 oz for the entire car). IMO is added some pop to the paint vs. using QW+ unmixed.

The interior was done with Kids N Pets on the carpets, APC 6:1 on everything else, and Vinegar/Water on the glass. I dressed with TR and #40. The seats were treated with Poorboys Leather cleaner and conditioner.

Here are a few after shots.

In the garage after FX-185/FX-100 step.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mgm121499/NSX-November/P1010041-garage.jpg

A few outside shots. The sun was in and out today, so you get a mix J

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mgm121499/NSX-November/P1010046-sideview.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mgm121499/NSX-November/P1010048-side2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mgm121499/NSX-November/P1010047-driver.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mgm121499/NSX-November/P1010049-rear.jpg

steck
11-13-2005, 04:59 PM
keep up with the new vettes LOL.

need a bit more than a chip and exhaust!!!!

regardless, nice job and I`m still a huge fan of that car.

gmblack3
11-13-2005, 05:17 PM
keep up with the new vettes LOL.

need a bit more than a chip and exhaust!!!!

regardless, nice job and I`m still a huge fan of that car.

As a former 01 Z06 owner, they could not keep up with the old vettes. :grinno:

Its a very balanced car, but its lacking in the power dept. Ran with more then one of them at Road Atlanta in the past.

Good job on the NSX, it looks great!

steck
11-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Its a very balanced car, but its lacking in the power dept. Ran with more then one of them at Road Atlanta in the past.

YEAH, I`m well aware...I was actually heckling the poor guy a bit cause in his 1st post he mentioned the owner wanted to "keep up with the new vettes"

Hence the "needs more than a chip and exhaust" qoute!!!!

its all good man...

mgm2003
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM

LOL on the Vette comment. I agree with you both. The NSX is a fine sports car, but it`s not keeping pace with the new Vette anytime soon.

imported_hadboosttroy
11-13-2005, 10:24 PM
tell that to the 01 and up nsx`s hitting 12.8 STOCK. sorry i have seen many a zo6 at the track and they can never pull better than that. the earlier year nsx`s were quite a bit slower, about mid 13`s. drag racing isn`t the point of the nsx though, mid 13`s would still be alright with me :)

HomicidalSloth
11-14-2005, 12:59 AM
drag racing isn`t the point of the nsx though, mid 13`s would still be alright with me :)

Exactly. However, the point of a Z06 is anything but drag racing. Have you seen the brakes on the new C6 Z06? They`re like the size of a wheel on most Hondas. :)

Anyway, nice detail work!

LucentTeg
11-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Very nice detail, I like that rear shot showing the reflections!

On the keeping up with vette note, I would say an NSX wouldn`t take the vette off the line but out of the corners the vette will be seeing a lot of highly detailed NSX rear end!

The brand new vette might be able to handle the NSX in the corners but I mean common, it took chevy 15 years to bring the handling up to par with the NSX :think2

SpoiledMan
11-14-2005, 07:25 AM
It`s OK guys it`s no way that a mere Honda could be technologically advanced or anything like that.;) Best they can do is a fart can attached to a Civic right?

Nice detail work!

percynjpn
11-14-2005, 07:55 AM
It`s OK guys it`s no way that a mere Honda could be technologically advanced or anything like that.;) Best they can do is a fart can attached to a Civic right?

Nice detail work!

You mean like the way all their cars (besides the NSX "supercar" and S2000) have been "monotonously advanced" front-wheel drive? Well, the NSX is sure an improvement, though it still holds on to low-displacement, high-revving, under-torqued - well, blandness (relatively speaking).

TGates
11-14-2005, 08:17 AM
tell that to the 01 and up nsx`s hitting 12.8 STOCK. sorry i have seen many a zo6 at the track and they can never pull better than that. the earlier year nsx`s were quite a bit slower, about mid 13`s. drag racing isn`t the point of the nsx though, mid 13`s would still be alright with me :)

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to drive. I`ve seen bone stock 02+ Z06`s running deep into the 12s..... like, for instance, mine? There`s really no comparison between the two in any accleration comparison, IMO. They are still cool cars, though.

gmblack3
11-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Very nice detail, I like that rear shot showing the reflections!

On the keeping up with vette note, I would say an NSX wouldn`t take the vette off the line but out of the corners the vette will be seeing a lot of highly detailed NSX rear end!

The brand new vette might be able to handle the NSX in the corners but I mean common, it took chevy 15 years to bring the handling up to par with the NSX :think2

Like I said the NSX is a very well balanced car. But at Road Atlanta when I saw one on the track with me at my 3rd event there, I was suprised when I passed him that easy. This was after riding his ashe from T1 to T5. Yes it is hard to jugde a car with different drivers but take this example as well. The manager of a major track day school in the SE has a NSX with a blower, I was talking to him about buying another car from him. They go to sebring alot, I have been there once. I ask what kind of times he runs at sebring (I think he runs in the sub 2:30s, as he has been there alot) He tells me that on a good day w/ toyo DOT-R tires he runs a 2:34-2:35. My first time there on the 2nd day I ran a 2:33.1 with kumho 710s.

I will say that the NSX was a very advanced car for its time, but what do they cost now? $90k new? :rolleyes:

gmblack3
11-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Sounds like someone needs to learn how to drive. I`ve seen bone stock 02+ Z06`s running deep into the 12s..... like, for instance, mine? There`s really no comparison between the two in any accleration comparison, IMO. They are still cool cars, though.

You tell em. :grinno:

I suck at the drags and I can run a 12.7 at 114.9.

The sticker price on that 91 NSX, the one with a whole 290hp, just a mere $82k.

LucentTeg
11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
The sticker price on that 91 NSX, the one with a whole 290hp, just a mere $82k.

As stated before, the NSX wasn`t about putting out 1 bajillion hp, it is about the technology in it borrowed from F1. It was the first aluminum intensive car with much of its suspension technology developed through F1. You are paying for the technology not the power. Although I do agree that today there are better cars for the money but when the NSX came out it was a hell of a deal. When the NSX came out in Canada they were about 90k canadian today they are 140ish canadian. I would have paid the 90k but certainly not the 140.

About the lap times, I have seen an NSX type R driven by a professional driver against other professional drivers stock for stock take out a ferrari 360, Lambo Gallerado, Murcialago and Porsche 911 turbo.

gmblack3
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
About the lap times, I have seen an NSX type R driven by a professional driver against other professional drivers stock for stock take out a ferrari 360, Lambo Gallerado, Murcialago and Porsche 911 turbo.

So loosing a few hundred lbs makes it a world beater?

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/modelinfo/nsx_type_r.htm

They claim that the suspenion was "tuned" I wonder what that really means.

Saying that the Type-R beat the Lambo Gallerado/Murcialago is not surprising, but the other 2 would be a site to see.

When was this and at what track?