PDA

View Full Version : can i drive my car right after waxing?

MegaGoo
11-13-2005, 11:24 AM
im waxing my car in a few minutes and i have somewhere to go. do i need to let it (natty`s blue paste wax) dry or cure after i buff it off before i go driving? i am not planning on doing another layer, but i dont know if say dirt is more likely to stick to a freshly waxed car, and be hard to remove/ruin the wax job

thanks

eddie

imported_Picus
11-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Nope, go nuts.

gmblack3
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
You mean you guys actually drive your cars after they are all detailed. ;)

MegaGoo
11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
cool then. this is my first time doing anything more to a car than putting my 8 dollars in the automatic car wash. we`ll see how it turns out. i did my wash/all-in-one/ex-p (2 coats) last night and garaged it. gonna buff off the second coot of ex-p then wax this baby. man the natty`s blue smells exactly like bubble gum flavored snowball. ya`ll better keep it away from the kids

White95Max
11-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah I love the smell of Nattys Blue.

You don`t need to wait at all after buffing it off. As long as you don`t mean you`re going to apply it, drive the car, and then buff the wax off. In that case, noooooooooooo!

MegaGoo
11-13-2005, 10:45 PM
yea i was gonna buff it off. i was not prepared for that task. buffing off by hand was VERY hard. i dont think i put a very thick layer on at all. now i see why some people use eletric buffers. maybe i`ll look into that

oh, and i couldnt really tell a difference in before and after the nattys blue wax.. i had waxed and buffed like the front half of the passenger side and compared it in the garage and they bothed seemed equally reflective and glossy.. the car is only a month old, so i guess this waxing business is just meant to keep the car looking new. i`d probably notice a difference with multiple layers of wax but theres no way im doing that by hand again anytime soon

eddie

Ed Fisher
11-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Do you wax the whole car and then buff ?? Or what ? I am confused...

Do you mean drive first and then buff ? NO WAY ! For God` s sake, don`t ! The dust you` ll have to land and settle on the caked wax while drving will simply dig right into your primer, even metal itself !

MegaGoo
11-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Do you wax the whole car and then buff ?? Or what ? I am confused...

Do you mean drive first and then buff ? NO WAY ! For God` s sake, don`t ! The dust you` ll have to land and settle on the caked wax while drving will simply dig right into your primer, even metal itself !

no sir. i meant wax, buff, drive.

it was raining before i waxed so it was either clear out the garage or drive 10 minutes to another house with a carport. being that it was freshly washed already, i decided to clear the garage so that it would remain clean and dirt-free before waxing

Ed Fisher
11-14-2005, 03:13 AM
no sir. i meant wax, buff, drive.

it was raining before i waxed so it was either clear out the garage or drive 10 minutes to another house with a carport. being that it was freshly washed already, i decided to clear the garage so that it would remain clean and dirt-free before waxing

Oh OK... Well I would drive if I were you to show off :grinno:

imported_Picus
11-14-2005, 06:21 AM
yea i was gonna buff it off. i was not prepared for that task. buffing off by hand was VERY hard. i dont think i put a very thick layer on at all. now i see why some people use eletric buffers. maybe i`ll look into that

oh, and i couldnt really tell a difference in before and after the nattys blue wax.. i had waxed and buffed like the front half of the passenger side and compared it in the garage and they bothed seemed equally reflective and glossy.. the car is only a month old, so i guess this waxing business is just meant to keep the car looking new. i`d probably notice a difference with multiple layers of wax but theres no way im doing that by hand again anytime soon

eddie

Two things. First, NB shouldn`t be hard to remove at all. Next time you use it try adding some water to the applicator before every couple of swipes, it helps. Also, apply it as thinly as possible. If you`re applying it super thin, it`s too thick. :)

On noticing a difference - it could be because the car is new or maybe check it out in some sun. NB has visual characteristics I find pretty noticable (mostly it`s so damned wet), but perhaps if the car is a light color it might be difficult to notice.

White95Max
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah most of the LSPs mentioned here are not difficult to apply or remove. Nattys Blue is certainly one of them. You must have put it on too thick.

What were you removing it with? That would also possibly affect the ease of removal.

MegaGoo
11-14-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks guys. i used a foam applicator pad that i wet and wrung out before starting. after that i would just take it and swirl it around the wax. it didnt even really look like much was building up on the spong. i really thought i was doing it too thin but when looking at it in the right light (was dark outside with medium wattage bulbs in the garage as only light) i could see the swirls, so i didnt go any thicker. i did the hood then the front then the whole passenger side. took maybe 15 minutes. probably was too long. should have started buffing the hood off right after i finished i guess.. that and maybe wetting the applicator would have helped as mentioned. but like i said this was my first time

i was taking it off with a green cobra detailing microfiber towel. looking at it in the sunlight, i missed a spot here or there taking it off. i dont want to take a towel too it now, now that theres dust and dirt on it. hopefully those spots of wax i missed will come off in the sun/rain

White95Max
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
hopefully those spots of wax i missed will come off in the sun/rain

Or you could wash it instead of letting it bake on in the sun. Or use a QD if the car isn`t too dirty.

imported_Picus
11-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Ya, could have been a couple things. When I apply natty`s I do it in a garage and usually let it sit for almost an hour before removing it. Perhaps being in the sun caused yours to harden up a little. I usually spray my foam applicator with a little water before every pass (so everytime I put more product on the pad), it helps it apply thinner and seems to help removal.