PDA

View Full Version : Started on the red Camry...

el_novato
11-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I started working on my bro`s Camry today but I wasn`t able to finish it. I spent most of the morning looking for Meguiar`s #20 and #80 but no luck. So I settled for Mother`s Power Polish and Power Wax. I washed and clayed and then hit it with ColorX. Oxidization is 98% gone! :clap: Tomorrow I will apply a second coat of ColorX because there are some spots that still have a bit of oxidation. Anyhow, I tried the Power Polish on a small area of the trunk and rear pillar. It worked well but still left some swirlies. I`m guessing I need to use something a bit more abrasive. I`d say it removed about 80% of the swirlies. What do you recommend I use?

BTW, I`ll post pics hopefully tomorrow afternoon!

e.n. :)

:shocked <--------my brother when he saw the car after ColorX, jejeje. :chuckle:

el_novato
11-13-2005, 08:25 PM
anybody have any input? :sadwavey:

imported_Neothin
11-13-2005, 08:43 PM
well, it could be a number of things. maybe you didnt work the product long enough so not all of the swirls were removed (especially if your doing this by hand which takes fricking forever to remove defects). maybe the polish itself is inducing marring/hazing. to get rid of that you would have to actually step down in agressiveness.

el_novato
11-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I was able to get a better look today. I put another coat of ColorX. Then I applied two coats of PowerPolish. I applied both with a small applicator pad. I started removing it with the orbital buffer and 100% cotton terry cloth. It did remove the swirls but not 100%. I tried removing it by hand but there wasn`t much difference between hand removal and the orbital. The car looks much better, but up close and personal the swirls are noticeable. I topped it off with the PowerWax. I used a microfiber towel to remove it. He`s so happy that the car shines again, he`s not really worried about the swirls...but I am not completely satisfied with it. :(

e.n. :)

imported_Neothin
11-13-2005, 10:15 PM
well, if your having issues removing the last remaining swirls, why dont you change your approach and go for a process that includes glazes/fillers/things that hide swirls? a glaze along with a heavy carnauba should hide alot of the remaining swirls that you have. besides, its not your car, and the person who owns the car is already happy that it at least shines again. why go thru the hassle?