PDA

View Full Version : How to use Optimum Polish

Miami_vice
11-12-2005, 05:05 PM
After the raves and positive feedback. I decided to buy it. But i have never used a polish of this kind. Im used to using just SSR 2.5 (PC)and buffing with mf. What can i expect and what techniques are best for OP how much liquid to use ? using a (light cut pad & white Polising Pad ) with a Rotary or PC :buffing:

a.k.a. Patrick
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
You dont have to use it any differently then what your use to, PC wise that is. Its only difference is its working time. You can use it for as long, or as little as needed. Its cut is purely dependant on your working time, with it.

I went completely around a Porsche today and when I got back to my starting point, I used (in conjunction with what was on my pad) what i hadnt already wiped off! It all blended perfectly, not like it caked up, it was very very much usable. Just an Optimum bonus I guess....

s2skimon
11-12-2005, 07:01 PM
i use it with my rotary. I use it with my yellow pad at speed 1400 to 1500 works it in best.. Optimum Polish hasn`t lived up to the hype for me personally but i do like it for less sling. I don`t see a significant improvement in the surface as opposed dacp , but that just my $.02

rollman
11-12-2005, 07:20 PM
The cutting or polishing abilities of Optimum Polish come from the pads you use with it . Like Patrick said the working time of OP is long it doesn`t flash fast like so many other polishes . :buffing:

Miami_vice
11-12-2005, 07:37 PM
with a rotary must i work it 6-10 minutes per panel @ 1400-1500 (light cut pad) so that the the abrasives can diminish. ? :think:

& thrn latter do the same with the ( white Polishing PAD ) ?

Thomas Dekany
11-12-2005, 09:20 PM
with a rotary must i work it 6-10 minutes per panel @ 1400-1500 (light cut pad) so that the the abrasives can diminish. ?

I`d say the paint would diminish along with it for working it for 6-10 min :D

Although using **too** much OP I guess you could work it that long. :confused:

imported_Bence
11-12-2005, 09:56 PM
That working time with a PC is perfectly appropriate. A rotary should produce results much faster. I am using it with a PC @ 6 at all times. I use just enough on my polishing pad (a firmer white) to let the buffing film to be almost translucent. When you apply (too) much, the buffing film/trail is milky white. This way is very hard to judge what do you do on the surface and besides this amount already reduces its effectivity.

My impressions:

- I use CONSIDERABLY less polish than with my other brands

- it finishes down to an incredibly fine level; leaving an extremely glossy surface

- breaks down very quickly

- unbelievably easy to remove at every stage of polishing (thin!)

- worktime practically unlimited

- ZERO dust

- does NOT cake up

- easy to clean from the pads

=

MY GOTO POLISH!

Gen2
11-13-2005, 07:31 AM
with a rotary must i work it 6-10 minutes per panel @ 1400-1500 (light cut pad) so that the the abrasives can diminish. ? :think:

& thrn latter do the same with the ( white Polishing PAD ) ?

After using both the OP and OC on a few cars, I realized its how slow you move the rotary or PC when you are working on the paint. As Scottwax has suggested, 1-2 inches per second (for PC), this method has worked out very good for me :xyxthumbs , do give it a try.

imported_Neothin
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
how many passes does it normally take for you guys to remove defects w/ OP on PC @ speed 6? I normally add in a slight amount of pressure to the 1 inch/second movement rate and it still takes me 4 passes or so to remove swirls and such.

anyone have success on hard paints like audi/vw w/ OP and a PC? an orange LC pad combined with OP hardly made a dent on the bad swirling of my mom`s beetle (my dad decided to wax her car with rubbing compound ahhhh!!!). I picked up a 4" yellow/orange/white LC pad and some OC recently. Think that will work? also, does OC have to be worked in the same way that OP is (slow movements...)?

a.k.a. Patrick
11-13-2005, 08:26 AM
I usually use my typical 3 passes with it )

1. Distribute-4

2. Work-6

3. Finish-6 but much slower then pass #2....

Gen2
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I picked up a 4" yellow/orange/white LC pad and some OC recently. Think that will work? also, does OC have to be worked in the same way that OP is (slow movements...)?

If you are dealing with hard paint or serious paint defect, I would suggest you go straight to OC with a cutting pad. This might haze up the paint a little but can be corrected easily with OP and a polishing pad. I work OC the same way as OP.