PDA

View Full Version : New Audi needs help, Los Angeles

Pages : [1] 2

Tarik
11-11-2005, 07:44 PM
The first two posts of this thread outline my problem (off an Audi forum):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2289164

But here`s the skinny:

I bought a new A3. The dealer went to town (before delivery) with an inexperienced individual using some sort of rotary (pics if you go to the link above).

Back and forth, but the dealer is willing to let me pick the detailer now that`ll fix this damage.

I`m told it isn`t hard to fix, but must be done properly/by the right individual.

That said, I`ve read up on this site and see many references to SuperiorShine.

I need an estimate on what it`ll take to fix the car so that I have a value $ to give the dealer tomorrow (when I get my car back and he gets his loaner back - and my leverage is gone). I was given an estimate of $250-275 by one detailer, but I need THE BEST detailer in town to REMOVE this damage, not dress it with wax/etc. My car needs to look new.

I know very little about detailing, but I need this car fixed by a pro.

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Tarik

fatchance
11-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Call Superior Shine in Covina. The just did a Ford f350 superduty that the dealer destroyed and they fixed it..

a.k.a. Patrick
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Holy crap....Thats terrible.....Where in LA are you ? If it was me it would be closer to $300.00.....

PakShak
11-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I`m sorry about your new A3. It sure does look like it went through the ringer. :hairpull I hope that can be corrected in the skillful hands of a professional. :buffing: Wish you luck.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

*Claim - I am a vendor*

the other pc
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Give Joe (a.k.a. SuperiorShine (http://www.superiorshine.com/)) a call (626-964-0808) and talk it over.

PC.

MorBid
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Well I wouldn`t classify it as damage. Whoever did the detailing work went with a very heavy abrasive polish/pad combination but never followed up with a lesser abrasive combination to finish it out.

Yes it does look like Sh*t but nothing that a polishing/finishing pad and a light cut polish with low rpm`s on a rotary couldn`t fix.

That really sux`s though. When I brought my A4 Ultrasport last year and was closing the deal as I looked over the invoice they had this dealer prep item on it. I told the salesman to remove it and I`ll polish it out myself and he said they couldn`t, it was "required".

So told him I`d go home and think about it, he went and saw the sales manager, who knew I already had the check with me and came back and said "fine we`ll remove it"

Tarik
11-11-2005, 11:26 PM
The damage WAS as bad as the photos show. I did not realize the damage the car had when I bought it because it was cloudy, they had done a magnificent job at hiding the damage, and then it rained for 1 week solid. Once the rain subsided, the photos on that link show exactly what I discovered the first sunny day I saw the car after buying it.

Regarding the ordeal I just went through - the dealer sent the car to Douglas Auto Body in Pasadena and they removed some of the damage. They did not do a great job. It was still not to my standards when it was "delivered" yesterday to my work, and I refused delivery/had them drive it back to the dealer.

After thinking it over, I concluded the only way to fix this right was to enlist my own detailer (at their expense) and have the individual put the car right.

That said, I was "awarded" $300 as a "payoff" from Rusnak and that`s where we stand. Seeing they put a small dent in my hood that will need Dent Wizard, I see the final figure climbing. They`ve cut corners many times and this time I`m making sure the right detailer does the work -so I`m going up there tomorrow and getting my car back.

What boggles me and everyone else I`ve talked to, is the fact that this car had ever been touched by a buffer in the first place. This is a brand new Audi. Could they be hiding something? If they are, I wouldn`t look for a replacement as I had been. I`d seek a substantial $ award through a serious lawsuit in court.

Something just doesn`t smell right-but I`ve checked the panels and given the car a good eyeballing, and things line up fairly nice. I have no idea why this damage exists in the first pace, and no one at the dealership seems to kow either...

I digress...

BTW-I did contact Joe and he emailed me back already. Sounds like we might hook up and have him look at the Audi. I sure hope he`s the best guy around (sounds like he is, so for that I thank you, and I`ll sleep better). I don`t think that thin clearcoat can handle another goof.

MorBid
11-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Every "new" car sold off the lot goes through what is called "Dealer Prep" look on your invoice and you`ll see it.

Yes it is a new car fresh from the factory but to remove the "rail dust", residue from the protective film that the car is wrapped in during transit, and anything else that effect`s the fit and finish of the vehicle before it is delivered/sold the dealership is going to wash, polish and wax the car. Unless you tell them not to.

You could get AoA involved but since the dealership is working with you there seems to be no need.

For the record, after doing both autobody and detailing I classify damage to the paint in the literally sense. That is something only repainting can fix.

I`m no pro however and maybe in person things look worse than thoose photos. But on the basis of those photos I don`t think the car needs to be repainted. Just "polished" and "buffed" out by someone who know`s what they are doing.

That ding or dent is another matter entirely. That is panel damage for sure.

Thomas Dekany
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
All I see is holograms - which would come out even with a pc and some TLC.

Joe will do a great job.

I wish you were as anal at the time of delivery as you are now about finding the BEST pro.

Tarik
11-12-2005, 12:08 AM
All I see is holograms - which would come out even with a pc and some TLC.

Joe will do a great job.

I wish you were as anal at the time of delivery as you are now about finding the BEST pro.

I know.

Lesson learned: Never take anything for granted. The fact I missed this damage is entirely my fault. Not just that, I actually didn`t even test drive the car I signed for. I test drove other cars, but mine was never driven (by me) before signing away.

Like my grandfather would say "what a dummy!".

To think I`m usually that guy that orders the car be left in the plastic wrap (which I did this time but they couldn`t because it was a dealer trade).

I`m sure Joe will do an excellent job. I think I can sleep easier knowing this now.

Thank you all-this has been an excellent place to drop in on.

MorBid
11-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Holograms are a detailers nemisis. Unless you "know" they will show up and take steps to look for them during the finishing phase of the detail they can go missed.

Usually not showing up till after the oils in the product used have flashed off or after the car is washed.

If you do a search here on "holograms" the returened hits would be huge, as inexperienced users of a rotary always have them.

Hope everything works out and please post some after shots.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-12-2005, 07:07 AM
So you have an appt booked already ?

Accumulator
11-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Tarik- Sorry to hear about your problems, that`s really a shame :(

Yeah, Joe will fix things right up. And yeah#2, next time take it in the plastic.

But FWIW, I`d find another Audi dealer right now. I go past at least three on the way to the only Audi dealer I`ll trust and if they drop the ball I`ll quit driving Audis the way I quit driving Benzes over lousy dealerships.

FWIW#2, the dealer can do whatever they want, that dealer just doesn`t care about your business. My dealer bought back (as in, 100% of the purchase price applied towards my S8) an A6 4.2 that I`d put 12K miles on because of an unfixable drive-by-wire problem. The dealer can eat any cost he *chooses* to, it`s all a matter of how badly they want to keep you happy.

Tarik
11-12-2005, 10:20 AM
So you have an appt booked already ?

Not exactly. I`m trying to get an estimate on the repair. So far, I`ve gotten one approximate phone-based estimate from a detailer I met about 2 weeks ago, who was recommended by the Zaino distributor here in LA, but I really have nothing concrete just yet.

The dealer had many attempts at making this situation go away or making it much better. Audi of America, after logging nearly 8 complaints, finally told me to go away and that they have sided with the dealership on the final decision (not replacing the vehicle). Their offer of $300 is insulting after the time I`ve spent dealing with the damage they caused.

That said, I`ll be looking to get more out of them today when we meet (I`m not holding my breath, but I`m not spending a dime out of pocket to get this car right either).

Does removing damage like this run, ballpark, in the order of $250-300? That`s what I gather from what I`ve read so far.

Mr.Concours
11-12-2005, 12:12 PM
If you think the cars had an accident that`s been covered up you need someone to go over it with a paint depth gauge (and a magnet for filler),any decent bodyshop will have one,if its had non factory paint it will be thicker that the factory paintwork and also they can look over the car at the same time,obviosly a Audi affiliated bodyshop won`t want to get involved but it might be best to get an independent inspection that you have to pay for, like the from the Autombile Club.

Sorry you`ve had such a nightmare,I would be threatening with court.