PDA

View Full Version : My Best SG Application Procedure Yet!

Pages : [1] 2

Mikeman
11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
I think introducing water or QD into the SG process cannot be a good thing. I also think "wipe on-wipe off" probably affects durability to some extent. Well, I FINALLY figured out a way to apply and remove SG easily WITHOUT introducing water or QD into the process, or going with WOWO. I`m not sure why the following procedure works so well; but I`m sticking with it. The SG wipes off VERY easily.

1) AIO the vehicle, leaving it on the paint for 45 minutes after you finish the last panel. Wipe off using a little distilled water to make removal easy.

2) Spray SG onto a Sonus microfiber applicator. Work the SG into a 2x2 section using circular motions and moderate pressure. I think this is the key; but I`m not sure.

3) After the whole vehicle has been done, begin removing the SG in the same order it was applied. The stuff wiped right off with a dry Sonus polishing towel! It was easier than removing the dried AIO with water. In fact, it wiped off easier than anything I`ve ever tried to wipe off. Really!

I`m hoping wipe off of the second layer will go as well. The difference will be that the second layer is over SG, not AIO. I`m going to wait a week to do the next layer because I`m using some pressure to work in the SG. I want that first coat to be well cured before I start rubbing on the paint again.

Hopefully, someone will find this SG technique useful.

Mikeman out.

imported_COBRyan
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
hmm, I don`t have any Sonus applicators laying around, but I imagine it doesn`t make much difference. I guess I dont really see how your process makes it any easier but I`ll give it a shot.

Dacali
11-10-2005, 09:29 PM
How much SG did you use?

3Dog
11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Never had a problem removing AIO. Learn on this forum a long time ago to put SG in a small sprayer and mist a mf pad. I have done SGx3 without any problems.

Normally with "I" have found is that if a product is hard to remove the prep wasnt right..ie..nice clean paint.

Mikeman
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
I think any applicator with a tight low nap would work well. Sonus polishing towels, the buffing bonnets, and applicator all have this same nap.

I used 1 oz of SG on a Camry.

I think massaging the SG into the paint is the key. The effect is that of applying a very thin layer, without really worrying about using too much. I just gave the pad a few squirts for each new section. Rubbing the SG into the paint does require a bit of effort....more like doing a thorough AIO job; but removal was quick and easy. Once you`ve applied the SG, you`ve done 80% of the work.

Mikeman
11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
hmm, I don`t have any Sonus applicators laying around, but I imagine it doesn`t make much difference. I guess I dont really see how your process makes it any easier but I`ll give it a shot.

The only thing made easier by my process is product removal. The total workload is probably the same. What I like is that I am no longer diluting my SG with water or QD, AND I`m letting it sit on the paint for awhile.

Mikeman out.

Mikeman
11-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Never had a problem removing AIO. Learn on this forum a long time ago to put SG in a small sprayer and mist a mf pad. I have done SGx3 without any problems.

Normally with "I" have found is that if a product is hard to remove the prep wasnt right..ie..nice clean paint.

I`ve found that AIO can be less than easy to wipe off if applied a little on the heavy side and allowed to dry. A few squirts of distilled water on the panel or the towel is all it takes to get it off easily. I don`t worry about diluting AIO with water because the directions specify a damp applicator anyway. SG is different animal.

Mikeman out.

pontman43
11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I also have found SG easy to apply and remove. I put it in a sprayer and spray it on the MF applicator, apply thin in circular motion then remove after doing the whole vehicle. I use about 100 parts water and 1 part SG to remove my final layer. Still holding up great after about a month of constantly outside and at a steel mill for work days. Really liking the look too.

Mikeman
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Pontman43,

So you`re removing SG with a highly diluted SG solution? Interesting....

I`m not sure introducing water and/or QD into the SG process is a bad thing. Doing so may not hurt durability at all; but I don`t think it can be a GOOD thing to do. At best, it has no effect on the SG.

pontman43
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Pontman43,

So you`re removing SG with a highly diluted SG solution? Interesting....

I`m not sure introducing water and/or QD into the SG process is a bad thing. Doing so may not hurt durability at all; but I don`t think it can be a GOOD thing to do. At best, it has no effect on the SG.

Thats why I do it on the last layer.

Mark77
11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I`ve found that AIO can be less than easy to wipe off if applied a little on the heavy side and allowed to dry. A few squirts of distilled water on the panel or the towel is all it takes to get it off easily. I don`t worry about diluting AIO with water because the directions specify a damp applicator anyway. SG is different animal.

Mikeman out.

Iapply AIO using Megs Even Coat applicator and then wipe it right off, with a dry MF.The directions say you don`t have to lett it dry, and it`s very easy to remove. I have sometimes lett it dry, and it`s much harder to remove.

chevyguy28
11-11-2005, 12:20 AM
I have had times where SG was a real PITA to get off. It leaves sort of a marbled look on the paint and I needed to use QD or fog the paint up with my breath to remove. However, I have had times that it just wipes off fine. In these cases, it rubs/crumbled off as if the acrylic has become a bit tacky. I`m not sure in these cases it has fully hazed. In these cases I have no idea what I did differently. I think I did work it into the paint a bit and that made the difference.

So far the Jeffs Werkstatt method of applying Acrylic Jett is pretty easy (spray bottle). I do notice that in order to spread the product afte spraying, you are required to wipe it around with your MF towel or MF applicator. Wipes off pretty easily.

I have heard elsewhere that introducing water into the SG system before it has cured will significantly reduce durability, but not sure if it`s true.

- J

TGates
11-11-2005, 08:20 AM
So let me get this straight. You all are simply transferring the SG into a spray bottle, and spraying it undilluted onto a MF pad?

chml17l
11-11-2005, 08:52 AM
So let me get this straight. You all are simply transferring the SG into a spray bottle, and spraying it undilluted onto a MF pad?

Yes, get a fine misting spray bottle. SG is thin enough to be sprayed without adding water, etc.

SK2003TypeS
11-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Iapply AIO using Megs Even Coat applicator and then wipe it right off, with a dry MF.The directions say you don`t have to lett it dry, and it`s very easy to remove. I have sometimes lett it dry, and it`s much harder to remove.

I agree. It seems easier to remove if you do it right away. One panel at a time.