PDA

View Full Version : You OCP faithful out there

Pages : [1] 2

Hines
11-10-2005, 09:23 PM
HELP!!!!!!!

It seems im unable to remove even minor swirls with OCP and my pc (i go back over it with AOI and it takes out 90% of the light swirls).

right now the process im using is:

1. a nickle size drop of OCP on the pad (using a LC polishing pad) and spread it out on a 3x3 section before turning the polisher on.

2. next i spread the polish on speed 4 for about a min.

3. then i crank up the speed to 5.5 and buff until the polish can barely be seen.

4. at this stage ive tried removing the remaining residue by hand with a MF as well as using a finishing pad with the same results.

Im getting a very nice shiny finish with the polish but its just not removing any swirling no matter how minor.

i do admit im fairly new at paint correction and swirl removal but it doesnt seem im having problem removing this with AOI.

I really dont want to give up on OPC because im always hearing great things about it by very respected members of the community. I just need to learn how to get my buff on!! ....lol

if you can give me any pointers or help it is much appreciated!!!!

Anthony O.
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Since I don`t use a PC I can`t really comment on how to make it work better but I am truly baffled here, especially how AIO is removing them :confused:

Sure AIO will remove oxidation but as for a paint leveler it lacks aggressiveness, especially with a PC, IMHO.

Perhaps you need to step up in pad aggressivness and make sure you shake the OP bottle well and don`t use too much product as the lubricating oils, if applied too thick, can create a buffing film that is too thick, hence no abrading is taking place, or at least it won`t be as effective as it should.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

3Dog
11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
AIO removing swirls? I WISHED! Sure would make my life easier.

I believe I would try a green or more likely an orange pad.

Nickel size drop..I am more of and X`s and O`s kinda guy.

ZaneO
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I got some Optimum Compound from David at Optimum. He said since I was using a PC, the compound would be a better choice...via PC, it acts more like Optimum polish does with a rotary.

Hines
11-10-2005, 09:44 PM
more info.

this is only the second time ive used OCP as paint correction. my 2 cars i own personally i use just because i love the way it finishes out.

Ive used ocp on 2 friends cars so far. the first car was sever swirling and marring and was just taking way to long to get anywhere with and we had a busy day ahead so i gave up on it at his request.

the second car was today, very light swirls that could only be seen under direct light. i ran through with the OCP and was the first time i followed up with AOI after OCP and noticed the light swirls were gone (but i guess it could be possible i just wasnt looking at the right angle either (the AOI was applied in the garage about 3 hrs later vs the ocp outside in the sun)

Unfortunately i dont have any other polishes currently to compair to, i usually have #80 and #83 but let a friend have what was left.

Im beginning to think i might need to use a polish thats a little less particular for a while til i get some experience/confidence then keep trying out the OCP until i get it down.

Hines
11-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I got some Optimum Compound from David at Optimum. He said since I was using a PC, the compound would be a better choice...via PC, it acts more like Optimum polish does with a rotary.

i do have the compound on the way so thats very nice to hear :)

a.k.a. Patrick
11-11-2005, 08:14 AM
HInes, before you go full strength compound, mix a few oz of each together and you`ll have a nice combination/product.

Hines
11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Guys, thanks alot for the advise, and patric - never thought of that will definately give it a try this weekend as i go back at it (btw, love your MF towels :) )

hopefuly ill figure out what im doing wrong !!!

thanks again all.

imported_Neothin
11-11-2005, 01:00 PM
would mixing the polish and the compound together really work? wouldnt the two abrasives break down at different times/rates?

Anthony O.
11-11-2005, 01:09 PM
would mixing the polish and the compound together really work? wouldnt the two abrasives break down at different times/rates?

Yes they work just fine.

I recommend mixing them at a 2 to 1 ratio. So I mix 2 parts OCP to 1 part OCC.

Anthony

HomicidalSloth
11-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Just wondering, what`s AOI? Not sure if I`ve heard about that before.

3Dog
11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I remember back about `79 when I would duck out of work, go across the street to the detail shop and learn things. The would mix everything in one bottle and buff once. I kid you not..start to finish, "full" detail, maybe an hour and a half. Instructions to customer..dont wash!! disclaimer: we are not responsible for swirls caused by washing and removing fillers.

But..they did teach me how to use rotary correctly.

JaCkaL829
11-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Just wondering, what`s AOI? Not sure if I`ve heard about that before.

I`m quite sure it was a typo, I believe he meant AIO (Klasse All-in-One)

On the topic of Optimum Polish, I`ve found using an orange LC cutting pad works with it very well. A polishing pad seemed to gentle for me, I guess thats where the "pad determining cut" plays in. It also needs to be worked in for quite some via PC.

I`m pretty happy with the OCP/orange cutting pad for my paint and other soft paints. For harder paints or more heavy swirls, I plan on using Optimum Compound, as Zane recommended. This of course all being done via PC :waxing:

Hines
11-11-2005, 05:41 PM
I`m quite sure it was a typo, I believe he meant AIO (Klasse All-in-One)

On the topic of Optimum Polish, I`ve found using an orange LC cutting pad works with it very well. A polishing pad seemed to gentle for me, I guess thats where the "pad determining cut" plays in. It also needs to be worked in for quite some via PC.

I`m pretty happy with the OCP/orange cutting pad for my paint and other soft paints. For harder paints or more heavy swirls, I plan on using Optimum Compound, as Zane recommended. This of course all being done via PC :waxing:

yup, typo sorry guys. meant AIO lol,

i have LC orange and LC vc yellow pads for cutting as well as today i picked up a megs cutting pad, then i have LC and Megs polishing pads as well. Im just goint to take my time and see what works.

imported_Neothin
11-11-2005, 07:03 PM
dont forget you can also increase the effectiveness of the polish by switching over to a 4" pad. I tried correcting badly swirled (aka improperly used rubbing compound) VW paint with a 6 1/2" orange LC pad with opt polish and it hardly made a dent into it. I recently ordered up a yellow, orange, and white 4" LC pads and opt compound. hopefully the increased agressiveness of the compound along with the 4" pads will let me get this paint back to perfect.