PDA

View Full Version : To re-detail or not?

Intercooled
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a few surface clear coat scratches and marks on my door panels from taking the H2 off road. I currently have 3 coats of Z2 Pro on thier abut 2 months old. The weather is quickly getting colder. I`m not sure if I should try and fix those marks and probably only have time for 1 or 2 coats of Z2 after using the ZCP. Or just leave well enough alone knowing that winter is right around the corner with the snow, sand and salt. And deal with it early spring. The marks aren`t very noticeable, but I know they are there. :nervous:

Whats your opinion? :confused:

JeffM
11-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Polish them out, they will drive you nutz :)

imported_Neothin
11-10-2005, 01:40 PM
your probably going to get more scratches and such from dealing with getting salt and grime off the truck. i would just leave them for the winter and get them along with anything else that may form over the winter months in spring.

fastfred
11-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a few surface clear coat scratches and marks on my door panels from taking the H2 off road. I currently have 3 coats of Z2 Pro on thier abut 2 months old. The weather is quickly getting colder. I`m not sure if I should try and fix those marks and probably only have time for 1 or 2 coats of Z2 after using the ZCP. Or just leave well enough alone knowing that winter is right around the corner with the snow, sand and salt. And deal with it early spring. The marks aren`t very noticeable, but I know they are there. :nervous:

Whats your opinion? :confused:

I would wash your H2 and then clay bar the affected door panels wash again and use the Zanio fusion on the panels followed by Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6, Z2 AND FINNALLY z8. This is how I would do it but it`s your vehichle.

Fred :)

klnyc
11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Polish them out, they will drive you nutz :)

Yup do that. Just polish out the area where it has the scratch, no need to do entire truck.

It happened to my car too, it drove me nutz, so I just polished where the scratch it`s at.

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-10-2005, 04:41 PM
As long as you can get to them before the real cold weather sets in, I would go for it. Actually, this is a good time of year to give your vehicle its last layers of protection before winter.

ps- I thought they didn`t use salt on the roads in NH? Just wondering...

Accumulator
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I`d leave `em go until spring if you`re gonna be driving it in the winter weather. This sounds like one of those "Autopians going off the deep end with regard to marring" situations. The kind of thing that I`m often guilty of with my good car :o

As long as it`s the kind of stuff that only you can see I woudn`t take off any clear right before the inevitable effects of winter.

But then again, it`s *your* truck, and if it bothers you then it bothers you.

cwcad
11-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I think that Accumulator gave some very good practical advise. BUT, this Autopia. You do not need to be practical..... I know that if it were my car I would take the time to go over the area that is scratched. The care the vehicle gets, shows in the shine that you have. If the defects get taken care of..... the protection will only be better, IMHO.

Intercooled
11-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, all good responses, sometimes the fanatics that we are impear good judgement. If I get a great day I may polish out just the affected area. It`s funny how we will lose sleep over tiny insignificant situations like this. But then again we are Autopians!

mirrorfinishman, You may be right, I`m not sure if they use saly here, I assumed NH did. I`ve only been here for 2 years now.

Mike

imported_flatstick
11-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys, all good responses, sometimes the fanatics that we are impear good judgement. If I get a great day I may polish out just the affected area. It`s funny how we will lose sleep over tiny insignificant situations like this. But then again we are Autopians!

mirrorfinishman, You may be right, I`m not sure if they use saly here, I assumed NH did. I`ve only been here for 2 years now.

Mike

Sounds like a plan, play it by ear and see if the weather permits you to polish the marred area. just the other day somebody must have brushed by my truck as I noticed a couple new fine scratches :furious: . was going to poilsh them out and redo the Zaino. after the snow showers fell today I think I may have to wait until Spring .

White95Max
11-10-2005, 06:47 PM
I would either polish just that area with the scratches, or leave them alone and redo the whole vehicle in the spring. I`ve got some light marring on my trunklid, but I just try not to look at it (only visible in bright light at the right angle anyway) and I`ll take care of it in the springtime when I redo the whole process on the entire car.