PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Vancouver to Calgary.. will I lose my products?

jjagain
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone.

I haven`t posted in quite a while, been super busy.

I`m moving to Calgary from Vancouver in a month to start a new job but I`m worried about my vast collection of detailing products.

I have bottles of Klasse, SSR1, 2.5, and 3 and many miscellaneous products that I will have to pack in a box and let the movers deal with. Unfortunately, while the temperature in Vancouver doesn`t fall below freezing in December, it does in Calgary and I`m sure that the trip through the Rockies will be pretty chilly as well - probably cold enough to freeze some of the products.

Should I pack everything and hope for the best or should I try to get rid of what I can here and just buy new products once I get into my new digs?

Cheers

Tim

imported_Reflections
11-10-2005, 12:50 AM
I hope you`ll love Calgary because I sure do!

If you`re driving here yourself, you could put your supplies in your car with you in the back seat or something? I don`t really have any other suggestions. Best of luck either way and welcome to Calgary!

axnff
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
If you definitely cannot take the products with you, can you supply your own boxes or buy the ones you use? If so, punch some holes in them and throw some of those 24-hour hot packs in there. There may be longer lasting ones out there, I`ve never really looked.

However, when I used to breed chameleons, we bought our crickets/grubs/et al from mail-order companies who would ship them in a box with food and an unlabeled hot-pack. The vast majority always survived even in winter (Nebraska). I can`t remember the shipping method, but it certainly was more than 24 hours. Perhaps a good pet store could help you out?

White95Max
11-11-2005, 04:16 PM
The crickets/grubs/whatever was probably packed with sawdust or something similar? That would allow the heat to be conducted away from the heat pack. Plus, the organisms would notice where the sawdust was warmer, and hang around close to the heat pack. I doubt the whole box was warm from that.

I also think you should try to carry them with you in your car if at all possible. Otherwise, you might be able to fill the box with sawdust (or similar) and some heat packs. I don`t know how well that will work if the temperature is well below freezing.

jjagain
12-24-2005, 02:43 PM
So I managed to arrive safe and sound (the movers took our stuff on Tuesday and delivered it on Thursday! nothing was damaged, either!).

I took a look at my detailing stuff.. the EO 20/20 looks like it`s ok. I haven`t looked at the Klasse or Poorboys SSR`s. Is there any way for me to know if the Klasse froze?

White95Max
12-24-2005, 07:32 PM
If it looks identical to when you last saw it, that`s good news. It may not have froze, or maybe it did freeze and that had no obvious effect on it.

If it`s a different color than before, you can be pretty certain that it froze.

bluecarbon
01-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I`m another calgary boy, I moved here about 3 weeks ago from BC, I love it here,

jjagain
01-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Tell me about it! I still can`t get over the difference in the cost of living.

Quickstrike
01-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Another happy Calgarian. Born and raised here :D.

EDIT: Just noticed your signature Zilla.

This is your new home: http://www.clubveedub.com/

Nice group of ppl in the club.

jjagain
01-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Quickstrike,

Thanks, I`m already a member of CVD, Eurodrivers (formerly New VeeDub) and Beyond :thumbup:

How do you find detailing with Calgary`s hard water?