PDA

View Full Version : IW845... any benefit to a second coat?

novadude
11-08-2005, 06:06 AM
I applied IW845 last weekend (1x), and I am wondering if there would be any benefit to applying a second coat before winter hits. I am not so much concerned about appearance at this point, but more durability for the winter months. Will a second application enhance longevity? Thanks!

Hey, Moe!
11-08-2005, 06:15 AM
I did just that. IW is so easy to use, so it didn`t take long. Since it had been a few weeks since I applied the last coat, I clayed lightly with a mild clay (Sonus SFX) to get off any stuff that had attatched itself to the finish.

I feel it did help the appearance of my dark gray car, and I have to believe that durability is enhanced.

wannafbody
11-08-2005, 07:24 AM
it is layerable so another coat will help protect thru the winter

atticdog
11-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I have heard its layerable but those solvents just smell so strong i wonder if it softens up the layer under it

I want to apply it over my 2 layers of #21 to add extra protection for the winter

how can I know if it affects the layers of #21?

wannafbody
11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I`ve used it over colorx without problems. I`d assume if there was a problem it would smear-I`ve never had that happen

Mad iX
11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Layering carnaubas is nice, but a 2nd layer of 845 isn`t going to make as much of a difference as a second layer of UPP for example.

If you`ve got the time, go for it, but if you discover you become a layering addict, switch to sealants.

Don
11-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Layering carnaubas is nice, but a 2nd layer of 845 isn`t going to make as much of a difference as a second layer of UPP for example.

If you`ve got the time, go for it, but if you discover you become a layering addict, switch to sealants.

It`s usually better to put two thin coats on to ensure uniform coverage than to stop at just the one (I wouldn`t consider this layering). FWIW, I use IW845 as a topper to NXT

wannafbody
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Don-have you tried it over 26?

Scottwax
11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
It`s usually better to put two thin coats on to ensure uniform coverage than to stop at just the one (I wouldn`t consider this layering).

Exactly!

A second layer may slightly improve durability and appearance but don`t expect too much. I do feel a few layers of carnaubas due have a more liquid look when the paint is viewed at an angle than a single layer though.

Don
11-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Don-have you tried it over 26?

No, I haven`t used 26 in years