PDA

View Full Version : Top of the line`s *Pad Spurring Tool*

General Lee
11-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I just bought one, it advises to use on dry pads only wether they are wool or foam. If I would have known that I wouldn`t have bought it because I never let product dry in my pads. Anyone use it or one similar while they are detailing to remove excess product from the pad? I guess going against the instructions.... How did it work for ya?

Heres the tool

http://www.topoftheline.com/detail-pad-cleaning-spur.html

Bill D
11-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I have it, it`s OK. It`s an all day event using the rotary. I rarely use it. I wouldn`t recommend using the "cheese grater" portion;just too coarse on the foam IMO.

3Dog
11-08-2005, 06:29 AM
I have it, it`s OK. It`s an all day event using the rotary. I rarely use it. I wouldn`t recommend using the "cheese grater" portion;just too coarse on the foam IMO.

Cheese Grater?..You mean that not a tire clearer? :furious:

anyway..I have that tool and I only use it on wool...I use a toothbrush for foam..seems to work much better for me.

General Lee
11-08-2005, 06:33 AM
:wall

I had a feeling I wouldn`t be able to use it. I don`t use wool pads yet :)

Accumulator
11-08-2005, 09:32 AM
.. I only use it on wool...I use a toothbrush for foam..seems to work much better for me.

Same here.

General Lee
11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
So you guys use a toothbrush to spur during your detailing process while the pads are loaded, or when you are done?

theamcguy
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Those tools work good for wool pads. To clean the foam pads I just use a towel. Hold up corner with my finger in it to the pad just like you would the tool and it cleans them right up. No harm to the pad either. By the way I never wash my pads. It seems to shorten the life of the velcro. Ever notice how new pads stick like glue to a backing plate but after you wash it just never seems to grip quite right. I just let the pad dry out and use the towel method to clean out all of the dry dust. Cleans up like brand new and the velcro lasts forever.

rollman
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Personally I only use a spur on wool pads , I would not use one on foam pads. To clean up my foam pads I use a pad brush , which looks like a giant toothbrush. :buffing:

Thomas Dekany
11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
By the way I never wash my pads. It seems to shorten the life of the velcro. .

What do you do when the pad gets black?

1 Clean WS6
11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
So you guys use a toothbrush to spur during your detailing process while the pads are loaded, or when you are done?

Both!

I use it during the detail to spur excess and/or dried product out as well as before the detail to remove any old dry product. Cost $.50 and works like a charm. :cool:

Djmigs
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
has anybody used the spur to recondition/resurface/relevel the foam pad.....

Accumulator
11-09-2005, 11:11 AM
has anybody used the spur to recondition/resurface/relevel the foam pad.....

Nah, mine never seem to need such attention.

Yeah, both. Once I`ve done a panel or two, I end up using it after almost every panel. I like to keep the old product off/out of the pad as best I can. Not sure there`s any need to do this, just the way I like to do things.

I`m using a nylon bristle brush like a big toothbrush. Real toothbrushes don`t seem stiff enough for me and they`re a bit small for this.