PDA

View Full Version : Confused newbie - Need winter sealant advice

civic04
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I`ve done my best to self-educate myself on the detailing process but the more I research the more I get confused! So many options out there. I recently got interested in detailing since the purchase of my first black (and new :) ) car ,04 Civc coupe.

About two months ago I purchased a PC polisher and Menzerna IP and FPII and followed this up with a Carnuba Wax. Now I understand that Carnuba waxes dont last very long. So now I am looking towards a sealant product to take the place of the wax step to last me over the cold Canadian winter, so something that will last a good 6 months approx.

Im hearing good things about Zaino, but the problem is, like I mentioned I didnt really think about/know about how little caranuba lasts especially during the winter months so I didnt buy my product supply with that in mind.

I have almost full bottles of Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Final Polish II, sitting in my basement and I dont want to switch away from them before using them up since that is $50 of product....... I love how they work but I just want a wax or sealant step after those two polishes.......

I hear Klasse All-in-one is good followed by the 2nd sealant product after.........but klasse AIO takes the place of the polishers (I think?) and i dont want to waste what I already have..........my other option is Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket sealant and that one bottle costs as much as the two Klasse products, $50.

Is there a Zaino product that I can use as a stand-alone after I use the Menzerna Polishes? Possibly Z-1, followed by Z-2, is it ok to use the PC with Zaino products?

I addition I was looking at Poorboys EX sealant as it also said it lasted around 6 months and its the cheapest of the bunch.......there are so many options, im so confused!

And finally i think im running out of time, what is the minimum temperature to apply these products?

I appreciate any comments! sorry for the long read!

Thanks

White95Max
11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
AIO does not take the place of polishes. It is a paint cleaner, without the ability to remove swirls. Polishes do that.

Zaino is not a carnauba. It`s a sealant.

AIO + Wolfgang x2 has lasted almost 3 months now on my front wheels. I`m very impressed with that.

If you want something to last for 6 months, I`d go with AIO + SG (several layers if possible) + Collinite 476

DM101
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Agree AIO + SG just be sure to let each layer cure I`d say bout 48 hrs before next layer. 80 degrees here what winter?

DCT
11-07-2005, 01:31 PM
IMHO, the only two products that have a chance of lasting 6 months or so with minimum maintenance would be AIO/SG or Zaino Z2 Pro.

Ideally, a temperature of over 60 degrees is best for application and removal of most products (with low humidity). However, I have applied Zaino and some other products down to around 40-45 degrees. You just need to give them more time to flash-up, cross-link, cure, bond, dry, or whatever they need to do.

If you are applying/removing in colder weather, make double sure to apply THIN coats.

imported_rfinkle2
11-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Zaino is very durable, from experience (and is relatively easy to use). I cannot get a coat of SG on my black car because i find it difficult to use.

Other honorable mentions include 476S, 845 IW ... both collinites.

imported_Neothin
11-07-2005, 06:06 PM
my neighbors car that I did for him is at a little over 2 1/2 months after application and still beading like crazy with minimal matinence (a hand wash every two weeks or so with some of the nxt soap i gave him). My process on his car was AIO/UPPx3. Granted this is mild florida weather, but hey, it`s been thru a hurricane when it was outside so that may count for something!

Glossmaster
11-07-2005, 07:09 PM
IMHO, the only two products that have a chance of lasting 6 months or so with minimum maintenance would be AIO/SG or Zaino Z2 Pro.

Ideally, a temperature of over 60 degrees is best for application and removal of most products (with low humidity). However, I have applied Zaino and some other products down to around 40-45 degrees. You just need to give them more time to flash-up, cross-link, cure, bond, dry, or whatever they need to do.

If you are applying/removing in colder weather, make double sure to apply THIN coats.

Exactly. :woohoo:

civic04
11-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies,

So the Poorboys sealant is not a good choice? durability wise?

and yes I have heard, Klasse SG is hard to use, and considering that its kinda cool out I have a feeling it wont make it much easier.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Menzerna FMJ??

And finally if I were to get the Zaino stuff, all I would need is the Z-2 pro? would I need Z-1 aswell? is there a difference between z-2 and z-2 pro?

thanks

Scottwax
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Prime and Acrylic Jett would be my choice (newer technology Klasse type acrylic sealant system). 2-3 layers of Acrylic Jett and you should be fine. You might want to pick up a bottle of Optimum Car Wax to refresh the shine on the occasional warm day.

Poorboy`s EX and EX-P have been pretty good for me with regards to durability. I`ve had the new version (the only version that is now sold) of EX w/carnauba on a black Ford Excursion since June 6th and when I washed it today (November 7th), it was still beading very well. I conventionally wash this truck once or twice a month and he also runs it through a tunnel wash on the weeks I don`t wash it. Now we haven`t had much rain since it was first waxed so I can`t promise snow and ice won`t be harder on EX than day after day of 90-105 degree temperatures. :)

3Dog
11-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I would say use what you have and add FMJ. It is a great sealant.

imported_rfinkle2
11-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the Menzerna FMJ??

And finally if I were to get the Zaino stuff, all I would need is the Z-2 pro? would I need Z-1 aswell? is there a difference between z-2 and z-2 pro?

thanks

keep in mind that this looks like a long process, but it isn`t once you try it.

If you decide to use Zaino, you will need Z2pro and zfx. the zfx allows for 3 coats in 1 24 hr period. it is mixed w/ z2 to accelerate the sealants cure time.

zfx is used in place of z-1. z-1 is the older way to help zaino bond, but is a much more laborious and time consuming product process.

you will probably want to get some z6 (zaino`s quick detailer) and gloss enhancer, and possibly some z8.

A search on this site should help w/ zaino opinions.

BTW, I`ve not yet tried FMJ... but it always looks great in pics...it is next on my shopping list.